Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2007 5:47:22 PM EDT
I am just wondering if anyone else has it. I have had it for a while and  I am wondering what treatments others are on.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What does it do?
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
my step father had/has it the rebuilt part of his digestive system with skin and muscle grafts from his leg...6 months with a colostomy bag
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
ya... thats the shit that scares me. I dont want to be on a damn bag
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like a tough condition to have to live with.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ya... thats the shit that scares me. I dont want to be on a damn bag

he did not let it get him down...he would laugh every time he farted LOL....we also had to blend lots of his meals for a while...
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Shakira(or whatever her name has it),hasn't stopped her any.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't, but I've read a bit about using low doses of Naltrexone to help it. It's still in the testing stages, but can still be prescribed as an off label use by your doctor. Here is an article about it:

Link

And here is one of the main pages about the drug and other uses:
Link

If you do try it, please let me know how it works.

Kris
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother has had it for a few years now. He's about to go back on Rumicaid treatments. Last time they worked pretty well, hopefully theyll work this time and he wont have to have surgery for a couple more years.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a close second to crohn;s,  I have Ulcerative Colitus.

Im unsure about Crohn's, but try some probiotics(good bacteria for digestive system). It is as if I dont have the disease on most days.  

Vitamin cottage has good ones. Try these probiotics
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like a tough condition to have to live with.

Ya it sux but what can you do? I cant get health care so my options for treatment are limited.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am a close second to crohn;s,  I have Ulcerative COlitus.

Im unsure about Crohn's, but try some probiotics(good bacteria for digestive system). kIt is as if I dont have the disease.

I have heard about that. Its somthing  I am going to have to try out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Im unsure about Crohn's, but try some probiotics(good bacteria for digestive system). It is as if I dont have the disease on most days.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I"m going to order some. Thanx for your help
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#14]
No problem. I take 4 a day. I have stopped taking those(they are the best) since I
cant keep them refrigerated when I travel to work.
GNC has 2 very good ones I take. Since probiotics are bacteria, they last longer and have more
bacteria if kept in a fridge.

GNC Super Probiotic

GNC off brand Probiotic

I take 2 of each 2 times a day. They work really well together. They dont work so well by them selves.
ALso they dont need any refrigeration.
Let me know how these work for you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Shakira has it

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Friend of mine has it.

He's about to try some IV infused something or other that is performed in a Chemo ward.

We've been praying for him a lot.
Good kid who really deserves a break.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The Brits had some research a few years ago suggesting that parasitic worms could be used to help.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Brits had some research a few years ago suggesting that parasitic worms could be used to help.

I heard about that one. They were giving people sterile worm eggs. I asked my doctor about that and a couple others and he just about smacked me over the head.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I just got diagnosed with UC.  It sucks!  I'm still trying to achieve remission.  I'm gonna give those probiotics a go though.  I hope your Crohn's disease doesn't turn out too bad.  BTW, anyone know if UC will get you medically discharged from the Army?
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#20]
My mother has Crohn's and I fear I come down with it in the next 10 years.

She has Remicade treatments.  She's had some nasty bouts with the disease.  The last one damn near killed her.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My mother has Crohn's and I fear I come down with it in the next 10 years.

She has Remicade treatments.  She's had some nasty bouts with the disease.  The last one damn near killed her.

Oh how I miss my remicade......
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
My fiancee has an eleostomy bag (cancer related though). Its bad, but not that bad.  Good luck
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Same with Cornell University or either University of Iowa, I forget. Basically thier findings
came out to about 65% showed signs of improvement. It included those with Ulcerative Colitus and Crohn's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Omega 3 fatty acid capsules help to keep inflamation at bay.  It seems to help with UC, Crohns, arthritis, etc...

Give those a try.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife has Crohns, she was diagnosed about 10 years ago (the surgeon said she must have had it for years, because it was the worst "new" case he'd ever seen in someone only 24 years old). She was a few days from her intestines bursting (possible death) when she finally couldn't take the pain anymore and we went to the ER. She spent the next month in the hospital, having 2 major surgeries, the biggest of which removed a portion of her large and small intestines and the Ileum valve. She had a really bad month (which included getting addicted to Morphine and being fed through an IV in her Jugular vein), followed by a poor couple months, but it made her tough as nails. She dropped to about 90 lbs (at 5' 7"), and got so weak she could hardly walk. The good news is that she has been in complete remission since, with no signs of the disease in any of her Colonoscopies. She only takes Lialda (time released Mesalamine), which is an anti-inflamitory of sorts.

My biggest fear is that my daughters may end up with it since it's a hereditary disease.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#26]
UC here..

Mesalamine works wonders for me...

Once you get a treatment that works it can be like you never had anything...

But when things are bad.... Man are they bad...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#27]
So far I've had to use Canasa suppositories twice a day to help control my UC.  Hopefully I  can use the oral mesalamine meds effectively soon.  Does the stomach pain ever stop?  When do you know you're in remission?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I have UC and crohns in my large colon. I have colonoscopies every 2 years. Mine is in remission and has been for some years now. I was on prednisone for a few years (you read that right..YEARS) and tried many different types of meds. Finally Asacol put it in remission. No more bleeding and emergency runs to the head 30-40 times a day...

Check out the Crohns and Colitis Foundation for support if you need it and talk with others face to face in support meetings...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top