Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2001 3:22:24 PM EDT
I am interested in purchasing a good .22lr revolver.  I am interested in two pre-sellout S&W 617 revolvers.  One has the six round cylinder and the other has the ten round cylinder.  Both have 6 inch barrels.  Does anyone have any experiences with the 617?  Is it accurate?  Does HKS make a speedloader for it?  What's a good price for a NIB 617?  Thanks for any replies.

Stoic
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the S&W model 17, with the 6 inch barrel.  I believe it is the same as the 617, but mine is blued and not stainless.  Mine has the 6 round cylinder.

I bought mine lightly used, complete with box, for $250.00.  I don't believe it was ever fired.  

It is a nice revolver.  The double action trigger pull seems very heavy.  I usually fire it single action.  I was thinking about installing Wolf spring kit.    I have can hold a six shot group within 1 inch at 50ft, using iron sights.  I noticed my groups got tighter when I traded the stock wood grips for Hoage rubber finger-groove grips.  

If I was going to buy a new one, I would buy the ten shot model.  

I do not fire this revolver much, as I prefer my model 41.  I feel the .22LR revolver is the perfect trainer for anyone getting into handguns.  I also have a model 48, which is the same revolver in .22 magnum.

OSA
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a ten shot, 6 inch 617.  It was the last S&W product that I purchased new.  It's a good gun, with a good trigger and very accurate.  Not cheap though - almost $500 new.

I've mounted a Burris 2x scope on it and can practically hit a fly on the wall at 50ft.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 6 shot and my brother a new 10 shot.
Also a friend of mine has a 6 shot. All are very
accurate and all have excellent triggers. Used
around here average $350. if you can find a used
one. My brother in MT just purchased his new for
$410. A chain store had some in their system they were not moving because of price and it
being a SW. Regular price for them was $480. These are all 617 6". Six shot are older square
butt and 10 shot is new round butt. Great revolvers I just wish SW hadn't done what they
did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top