Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2001 8:51:57 PM EDT
sending a large amount of money for firearms?
(about $1550 or so)
things ive done in the past...

1.) call and talk to them
2.) check to make sure the phonebook says they live there
3.) use some kind of "secure" payment (although i just found out the postal system could give a rats ass whether my measly $1000 was lost or not)

i want to assure that i dont get ripped off
is there a better way?

thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
from what ive heard, the postal system really wont investigate mail fraud under $10,000
they have bigger fish to fry

i could be wrong though

how does COD work?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You might try using an escrow firm, that way nobody gets ripped off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
whats that?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
anyone else?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I always use postal money orders and send them certified with a return receipt that way you have a signature of who recieved it and a date.  The return reciept can be used as evidence if it ever becaumes a crime I also make sure I print all e-mail transactions and keep with reciept
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Escrow firm - a company, similar to the type of company you use when buying a house, that holds the money and informs the seller that all the money is "in escrow" and then the seller ships the item to you (or in the case of a firearm to the FFL)...  Once the buyer has inspected the item and accepted delivery of it, teh escrow company is notified and forwards the money on to the seller.

Who pays the escrow fee can be negotiated with the seller (you, them, or a combination) .. .I don't know of any off hand, but check on EBay - they have one or two that they list...

[I wouldn't have to edit these if I could simply type the in the right order...]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
how much would it be?  (approx.)
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
In the event of any personal sale greater than $50, I have always used COD (and picked up the $5-6 fr the COD tag as a goodwill gesture.)

If it were a firearm, I have a couple of FFLs that I have dealt with for a while, and I see no reason why I couldn't leave the envelope with them anticipating the box.

Of course, the evnelope ALWAYS has a postal money order in it, and it is filled out payable to the seller.  That way, there is a reasonable amount of security against theft (I'm an optomist, not an idiot.)

FFZ
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
sounds about right,  BUT...

how do you convince someone to send firearms w/out receiving payment?  any good "tactics"?

;)

thanks again
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done a smaller transactions over the internet and by mail.  Call and talk to the person if you are not sure.  Sometimes you gotta have faith that everybody aint out to screw you over.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:51:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always use postal money orders and send them certified with a return receipt that way you have a signature of who recieved it and a date.  The return reciept can be used as evidence if it ever becaumes a crime I also make sure I print all e-mail transactions and keep with reciept
View Quote

Do not use "certified" mail. For high value items via USPS, use Registered Mail.  Certified travels mixed in with the regular first class, and all you get is the green card coming back.

Registered is hand sorted away from all other mail behind locked doors.  Every person that touches your letter MUST SIGN for it, even the truck driver!  There is even a separate mail sack for it, which is bright red(regular 1st class is green...).

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I would only do the transaction with someone whom I knew (Like from here, with a decent post count).

I have sent the money to guys from this board, in an envelope and not had a problem.

Of course there ar eguys I wouldn't do that with also, but it takes time and experience to knwo the two kinds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#15]
you sould consider having your bank wire the money directly to the sellers account. it's fast, there is little risk of it getting lost, and you have a decent chance at a traceable route if necessary.

are you more worried about him not sending the firearm, or losing payment in the transfer?

another option might be to request that he ship it to you through an FFL. that way you have a third party with a vested interest in the sale being completed properly.

money order is not the way to go. your info on fraud is correct. the resources just arent available. it may take a long time for you to see your money this way.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#16]
yes, my worry would be that he would not ship them

thanks to all...

im going to sleep...stupid all night crappy, damned to hell research paper...

and who says you cant leave things to the last minute...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top