Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2001 6:26:43 PM EDT
Can anyone else do this or done it or seen it done? Kinda a off topic but a fun post to lighten the board and interesting if you are into mysterious stuff.

During my lunck break today we got on the subject and I said I could easily "witch" for water,be it in a glass or whatever. So of course several ppl wanted me to show them. So of course I easily took two pieces of wire, bent them and showed how they crossed for me when I passed them over water. This really had the interest of a few, but several called BS and said I was manipulating the rods or just doing a trick. So on afternoon break several of them came into my office and said they had a little "test". They placed several glasses on the floor, some empty, some full and covered them so I could not see. I then guessed correctly ten out of ten. This absolutley freaked the dis-believers and I really sensed several were scared or just wierded out? I then had some more fun joking and told them they better not cross me before halloween

I swear I really don't know how this is possible, I have read several accounts of what people think is theororize is going on ect but just know its a great "party trick"

As I said, can anyone here do this or have any theories on it? Or maybe have an grandma or grandpa that used to do this?

(come on ppl have posted stranger topics!)

Later

IAJAck

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
what the? are you the matrix?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Dowsing for water works. Don't know why. An old timer showed me how. He used it to find buried water pipes before digging with his backhoe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, great trick for finding waterlines in the yard, or field drains before you start digging with equipment.  Don't ask me why or how, but it works.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine knows a guy that's very good at witching for water. He is well known for finding the best places for tapping a new well. Personally I think it's just a matter of some people have the knack for it & some don't.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My Dad is a great witch.  I can only find water if it is flowing.

Somethings just shouldn't be understood, only accepted.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this something I should know?  I have never heard of this before...what the hell is witching for water?

Please explain...you've got me interested as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
How about one of you water witchers post a pic of the correct equipment and how to hold it? I'd like to give it a try. I've heard of this technique and seen it documented on T.V.(no I don't believe everything I see and hear) to many times to completely dismiss it. I just think it would be fun to try.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
hey we've got some people here on the board who could or maybe hook you up with the right folks who could exorcise those black-magick-terrorist spirits of hell out of you, it might even involve playing with rattlesnakes.[}:)]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually, it isn't black magic, it is one of those unexplained things like how glue works.  Take two halves of coat hanger bent into Ls out into the yard sometime.  Walk slowly, holding them pointed the long end out, kind of like a pistol, and keep them kind of straight when you start out, but don't stop them from swinging.  They will cross when you get over a sprinkler pipe or waterline.

Check it out,
Ice
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is this something I should know?  I have never heard of this before...what the hell is witching for water?

Please explain...you've got me interested as well.
View Quote

It's also known as "divining"
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
hey Jack I am from Iowa also.  which side of the state?

john
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My grandpa was good at it.  I have never tried it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:47:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually, it isn't black magic, it is one of those unexplained things like how glue works.  Take two halves of coat hanger bent into Ls out into the yard sometime.  Walk slowly, holding them pointed the long end out, kind of like a pistol, and keep them kind of straight when you start out, but don't stop them from swinging.  They will cross when you get over a sprinkler pipe or waterline.

Check it out,
Ice
View Quote

They will also cross when you go over a underground power line.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They will also cross when you go over a underground power line.
View Quote

Yep. I've seen it done. When I was a tech at Station Telephone at MCAS Yuma, anytime anyone was going to dig on base, they had to have a dig permit signed off by all the base utilities before they put shovel to dirt. I located and marked underground phone cables and coax with an inductive toner, but the water guys used two bent metal rods. They looked like welding rods. Whatever they were, they picked up water and power lines both.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw 'divining' demonstrated once.  By a member of the Water Department of the city of Nogales (AZ) one sunny morning.  He used the 'divining rods' or what I refer as modified auto master keys (bent coat hangers) to locate an 8-inch water main for a Blue Stake I called in.  Blue Stake utility location is a requirement before excavation.  He marked the pipe location and left.  We proceeded to excavate, keeping 8 feet away from the marked line. I guess his 'witching' worked, right up to the time we hit the 8-inch line; I guess it must have  moved in the ground somehow [;D] .  I called the city and they came out and shut off the water and fixed the line.  Mr. Bent Wires did not show up [^].

That size line can sure put out some water.  The parking lot of a local shopping center was flooded in 20 minutes.  Alot of people were inconvenienced including a Motel 6.  I wonder how many soapy people in that motel believed that finding water with bent wires works.

If you really want to test this superstition, do a double-blind test.  

A scientific study has already been done in Germany.
[url]http://www.csicop.org/si/9901/dowsing.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I do it all the time!  I work for a utility company and locate buried gas and electric lines.  I have an aparatus that induces a signal into any conductive material but plastic gas lines are impossible to find if there is no tracer on it and the blueprint is out dated or non-existant.

As for how it works, I believe the trench, line, whatever, causes a local disturbance in the earth's magnetic field and static charge of the ground.   I could be dead wrong but it does work and is very accurate.  If this isn't the correct explaination I'm sure there is one waiting to be heard!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top