Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2001 3:14:43 PM EDT

Ok can somebody rank fals in order starting from worse to best so for example:

Hesse -
Century
DSA

Also include why you think it is better. I am looking to buy a 600-700 $ fal and I do not know where to start.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Romarana,

#1 - ARS/Double G/AZEX smith-built FAL
#2 - DSA SA58
#3 (tie - depending on your budget & style of FAL)- DSA StG58A or IAI M-444.
#4 - Entreprise FALs
#5 (tie for last) CAI and Hesse
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Save up at least $750-$800 for a M-444, or another $100-160 for a DSA StG58A over the others because CAI (Century) and Hesse have a bad rep for problems.  The last thing you need getting into an FAL is problems right off the bat.

I have an M-444 and really like it, and the DSA StG58A kit guns have a very good rep. Both may need some minor mods to fit your tastes.

My opinions of course.

Talyn
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Get DSA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Money is really not the problem because I am going to sell 2 guns I never shoot to finance this(they are non shooters anyway). I will prob have about 800-900$ after the sale.

I think I am going to go with the IMI444 because i would like to have a few bucks left over to stick in the bank.

Any other links for the IMI 444 other than the Fal files
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
also what do I need to add or what can I add to the 444. Also i really like the carry handle on the 444. The Stg does not have this right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Preban FN(Due to pedigree)
DSA SA 58
DSA Stg58
Entreprise Stg58
IAI M-444(ranked behind Entreprise due to lack of bipod, but a good Imbel in Imbel gun)

And then the ones that suck:
Hesse FAL
CAI FAL(Both suck about equally, Hesse might be slightly better)

Best buy for the money DSA Stg58.

Highest quality FAL DSA SA 58, yes even better than the preban original.

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not even really want the bipod. so would the two be equal if the bipod was not taken into account?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do not even really want the bipod. so would the two be equal if the bipod was not taken into account?

Thanks for the help
View Quote

Hard question. M-444 is Imbel parts on Imbel receiver so more of a original rifle, kinda.

Entreprise Stg58 is a Austrian(Steyr)Kit on a Entreprise receiver but fit and finish is lightly better.

But that said I wouldn't recommend either. Spend the extra cash for the DSA Stg58.

And with DSA SA58s you can order them with, or without the carry handle cut. Most others come with a carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]
IMO the original Steyr barrels (ala STG-58's) or DSA's new barrels are the nicest *reasonably* priced FAL barrels.  IIRC DSA bought Steyr's FAL tooling.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for the help
View Quote

Two thoughts -

1. I was pretty sure I didn't want the bipod either. But now that I have it, I am SOOOOO glad I do. Its integrated into the stock, so it doesn't get in the way. And for rapid fire prone, it ROCKS!!!!!!!

2. DSA SA58 is probably the best FAL out there. But a friend of mine who owns one, asfter seing my DSA STG58A, kinda wishes he saved his $$$ and got the STG58A.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#13]
The FAL's made in South America are not as well made as the European or Australian versions.
I would say, if you do not want to go the kit
route, buy the DSA STG.  Overall, the guns
made in Australia were possibly the best.
John
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine is a Belgian 50.00 and I must say that it is better than any on the market that I have seen BUT not by much.  As a gun collector, I had to have the real deal.  The DSA guns are excellent, and I've never dealt with one of the IMI ones.  If you buy a Century gun, make sure it is on an Imbel receiver, and check it over closely before you buy!

If I were in the market for another, I'd look for a SAR 48!

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=48153316&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]  
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Check FNFAL.com - plenty of threads discussing this topic.

Personally I have had good luck with the CAI Centurion 58 (Imbel receiver, mix match of parts, some STG58). I have two that came into my possesion more by chance than design. A few tweaks and they run fine and shoot under 2MOA. Quite a few people have had great luck with them, but I'd be inclined to get a DSA gun or have a smith build one for me.

Been real happy with one I have from Rich at CGW. Azex and ARS do good work as well. Check FNFAL.com more info than you'll ever need.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Hesse doesn't even make the list. I'd get a Century LONG before I'd have a Hesse. Century will at least fix their guns. Some Hesse's never worked, never will.
Friends don't let friends buy Hesse!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I were in the market for another, I'd look for a SAR 48!
View Quote

I agree the FN's are great rifles, but they aren't very nicely finished.  I have two, a HAWCO and a Steyr import.  My 50.00 is a Steyr and my 50.63 is the HAWCO.  Both have machine marks all over them and the finish is easily chipped or damaged.  But I love them.

I have a Springfield SAR-48 (pre-ban) and it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL.  The finish is perfect and there are no signs of machine marks.  It's one nicely finished and shooting gun.  I would rank them above FN's in overall quality.  As you already know I'm sure, they are Imbel guns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#18]
RomaRana,

All you have to do is swap out the gas piston ($35) and synthetic handguards ($40-50)for DSA equivalents on the M444.  

With the DSA StG you would probably want to swap out the metal handguards for synthetic because the metal HGs on the DSA are known for getting uncomfortably warm with extended shooting. Or wear a pair of oven mitts to protect your hands, but you might get some comments at the range.  Also with the DSA you'd likely want to swap out the straight-line stock for a humpback stock (which the M444 already has) because the straight-line stock hinders getting a good look through the rear sight. Again this can be corrected by buying the excellent Penguin humpback stock in either the basic ($30) or premium models ($50-60). Since you're paying about $100-150 more for the DSA StG58A (albeit an excellent FAL) + the extra $$ to correct some of the few short comings in the DSA, and M-444 you can consider your budget options. Both are great FALs, and can be further tricked out.

However, I really disagree with the gentleman regarding the Entreprise FALs. You don't hear much about them on the FALFiles.  My opinions of course.  If you want any additional feedback contact me off this board.

Regards,

Talyn
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually hesse and cai aren't as bad as the rep they get.
Cai need 2 things. Headspace double checked and replace the gas piston. Both can be done much cheaper than a dsa. Although finish on the dsa kicks ass.
Hesse has had problems for people that build from their recievers. things such as holes out of spec or out of place and such. On an assembled rifle should not be a problem.

My 350.00 century shoots just as well and is as reliable as a dsa. It's just not as pretty.

jmho
View Quote

[url]http://www.mindspring.com/~wolf_den/Cool_Pics/CoolPics_2/osamapee.gif[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]
These are the jerks that should be ban people like JesusChrist. Thanks jack off for screwing up a good post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top