Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2001 6:41:35 AM EDT
I'm trying to remember the exact quote from the Marine commander of the Wake Island garrison immediately before it fell to the Japanese...

If I recall, it was something like...

"Japanese forces have landed, we are surrounded, our right flank is faltering...issue in doubt... SEND IN MORE JAPS!"

Gives me the chills... Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The commander of Marine forces on Wake Island was Jimmy Devereaux, if I recall correctly. I don't know of the quote having to do with Wake, but there are some similar ones:

“Casualties many; percentage of dead not known; combat efficiency, we are winning.”
--Col. David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 Nov 1943

“Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.”
--Ferdinand Foch, Battle of the Marne

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Them poor bastards got us surrounded!
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Them poor bastards got us surrounded!
View Quote

Yeah, the first one I thought of was Chesty Puller from the Chosin Reservoir:

"We're surrounded, which simplifies the problem. They've got us right where we want them."
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Didnt Chesty also say at Chosin:"We are NOT retreating. We are advancing to the rear!"
BP
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Didnt Chesty also say at Chosin:"We are NOT retreating. We are advancing to the rear!"
BP
View Quote

"We're not retreating, we're just attacking in a different direction."
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
"They've got us right were we want them" You sure that wasn't Yogi Berra?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"They've got us right were we want them" You sure that wasn't Yogi Berra?
View Quote

[url]http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent?file=ML_puller_bkp[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Nuts,
Ice
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nuts,
Ice
View Quote

General McAuliffe, CG 101st ABN DIV, in response to a German surrender demand at Bastogne. Outstanding tight verbage, there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The Marine of all Marines:

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"
-CHESTY PULLER, USMC
View Quote

"So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards won't get away this time!"
-CHESTY PULLER, USMC
View Quote

Here's a couple of quotes from members of other branches of service honoring my brothers:

"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of MARINES. LORD, how they could fight!"
-MAJ. GEN. FRANK LOWE, US.ARMY
View Quote

"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!"
-GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS
View Quote

"I have just returned from visiting the MARINES at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"
-GEN. DOUGLAS MACARTHUR, US.ARMY
View Quote

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence."
-GEN. JOHNSON, US.ARMY
View Quote

Not really a direct complement, but a powerful statement from one of our greatest Generals:
"I want you boys to hurry up and whip these Germans so we can get out to the Pacific to kick the s**t out of the purple-pissing Japanese, before the Goddamned MARINES get all the credit!"
-Lt General George Patton, US Army 1945
View Quote

And my personal favorite Marine quote.  This one comes from a Marine Captain who is just arriving to fight the infamous battle for Belleau Wood.  Captain Williams is surrounded by superior numbers of well armed German forces and he's lacking machinegun support.  When instructed to retreat due to the Germans obvious advantage, Capt. Williams offers this short but incredible quote:

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
-CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC
View Quote

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Had a history teacher that was a Marine, he said that General McAuliffe didn't say nuts, he said 2 words and the second was you.  Nuts was just more people friendly in the press.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]
A few more of my favorites:

"The Marine Corps does more to promote world peace than all the Ben&Jerry's ice cream ever made."
--P. J. O'Rourke

"Some people spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
--President Ronald Reagan

“The mission of the Marine rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel the enemy’s assault by fire and close combat.”
--Guidebook for Marines

"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes, and the other is the Bill of Rights."
--Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit constitutes firepower."
--General Merritt “Red Mike” Edson, USMC

"God bless the United States of America, and sucess to the Marines."
--Traditional Marine Mess Night toast
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#13]
"C'mon you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?!"
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#15]
"I've got 'em right where I want 'em, surrounded from the inside."

SFC Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, MACV-SOG Command and Control South.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top