Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2001 5:10:25 PM EDT
Ok, for those of you that have read my post about scoping my FAL, bear with me.

I've come to the realization that my gas operated weapons can shoot about as well as my inexpensive bolt action Savage .270 with Bushnell scope.

Am I wrong here? Has anybody else had exceptional accuracy out of their cheaper bolt actions?

I mean, the only real reason I've got a bolt action is for deer hunting. This means that I only shoot it a couple of times a year to make sure it's still sighted in. So I'm not like I'm that attached to it.

And am wondering if there's anything about the .270 round that has any advantage over the .308?

Can a Savage be upgraded to a match quality rifle?

As you can see here, I'm trying to way the pros and cons, and it seems that I'd get more use out of a scoped FAL than my .270. And that it's about as versatile.

So, does anyone here think I'll regret selling my Savage?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Never sell a gun. Period.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a lot lighter. I am using a scoped M1A for Elk hunting and it is a lot more heavy to carry.
I am thinking about buying a Remington bolt now. There is a reason why Army snipers went back to a bolt action.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
.270 is a  flatter shotting round than the .308.

Target quality
You can get a "better" trigger for some Savages.

If it shoots well keep it, it's paid for.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never sell a gun. Period.
View Quote

Ditto that.

Also it`s nice to have a nice hunting rifle. A FAL w/ scope and mounts must be at least 11 pounds, try to lug that around all day up and down hills and valleys.
I prefer the 308 as an all around caliber but the 270 is very popular and ammo is readily available.
Keep it, you never know what life will set in front of you.
Try a better scope with a solid mount and try different loads of ammo, chances are that Savage is a shooter and you haven`t given it a proper workout.
I have a 25-06 that gets neglected by me but my dad was pulling 1/2 groups from a thin barrel and tailored hand loads.
Also a bolt gun will last a very long time with little parts wear. Bolts are more reliable and with a sling, because of their lack of weight can be a real working rifle in the hands of a rifleman.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have regularly kicked the crap out of Rem PSS's with my $400 HOWA with Leupold glass...

Your Savage .270 is a hunting gun. Not a target gun.
So, that means if it shoots 2 MOA at 100, it is doing it's job.If you bought it thinking it would print wee little 1 holers, you bought the wrong (Although, i've met Savages that could do just that)
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not going to try to talk you out of selling your bolt-action Savage in .270.
I'm going to try to talk you into using it for trade-in on a Remington 700P LTR in .308.
[url]http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/700p.htm[/url]
Model
                         Caliber
                                      Weight (lbs.)
                                                     Barrel Length
                                                                  Standard Twist
                                                                             Order No.

700P LTR
                        .308 Win.
                                          7½
                                                         20"
                                                                      12"
                                                                               5739

(I don't think that copied very well...)

My reasoning is:
1. The .308 will be a matching caliber for your FAL.
2. You can purchase "enhanced power" ammunition to approximate .30-06 power for hunting purposes.
3. Remington Police rifles are [i]Bitchin'[/i].
4. It will be a good investment.
5. You will be proud to own and use it in more than one venue.
BTW, the 'P' stands for 'parkerized', not 'police'.

A fixed power Leupold, such as the 6x42 would be a good, light choice in a scope.

OK. I tried.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
A Savage is usually the most accurate bolt gun out of the box.I've owned 3 and they would all do a 1 to 11/4 with at least one factory load.I've heard its because of the way the barrel is headspaced with the nut.It aint pretty though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a winchester feather weight 270,but dont have a 308. But I just love my little winchester for deer, so as with all my guns, I will not part with them, but if I did it would be on a trade for another. I'm told and have read, that the 270 is the altimite deer rifle, mine never lets me down, just an eatting gun and I never go hungy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered that it might just be the scope??

Bushnell is total crap.  I used to own several.  Then while shooting one day, I noticed that even a slight movement of my eye made the crosshairs move across the target.  My groups improved remarkably about a week later when I installeda Leupold, and I've been using only Leupolds ever since.

IMHO Bushnells are adequate for midrange deer hunting, nothing more.  Try a good scope on your Savage and see if it's still only as accurate as your AR's -- hey, it might be, depends on how good your AR's are, but OTOH you might see a major improvement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Never, ever sell a gun.  Once you buy it, much like a dog, it is yours for life, good or bad.

Never, ever sell a gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top