Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 6:59:09 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting a Walther P99, but I just read this:

P99, .40 S&W Polymer Frame Double Action 4" (Blue) The P99 is the first defense pistol designed with an adjustable grip which can be customized to the shooter's own hand by installing one of the three inserts (S,M and L) included with each gun. The right grip and proper positioning of the pistol in the shooter's hand is essential for ultimate accuracy.

I am a left handed shooter.  This info makes me think the P99 is designed for a right handed shooter.  I'd go look at the gun myself, but the closest gun shop with this gun in stock is over an hour away.  Can anyone tell me if a left handed shooter can comfortably shoot this gun.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a P99 9mm.  I do not have any problems operating with the weak hand.  The grip itself is symetical.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
P99 is fine for righties or lefties.  The Magazine release is also ambi.  Only thing you may have trouble with is the de-cocker, on the left side of the gun.  But its fairly out of place that even many righties have to re-position the gun to work the de-cocker.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I own one in .40 S&W.  I am ambidextrous...and shoot from either hand with equally bad results!  This is a fine pistol with no vices and many many pluses.
The P-99 was not designed just for righties.  It will work just fine in either hand.  Go try one out...then buy it.  I think you will be very pleased with your purchase.
BTW...I love that grip.  I changed mine in about one minute very easily.  Fits my hand very well.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Reply to add confirmation to the above. The P99 is sweet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I'll go look at one today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am a left handed shooter.  This info makes me think the P99 is designed for a right handed shooter.  I'd go look at the gun myself, but the closest gun shop with this gun in stock is over an hour away.  Can anyone tell me if a left handed shooter can comfortably shoot this gun.  Thanks.
View Quote

What about it makes you think it's for right handed shooters only?  I've shot my S&W SW99, the P99's bastard American cousin, both right and left handed and it's comfortable in both hands, though when in the left hand it does kick hot brass out across your front.

How's that for a run-on sentence? [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What about it makes you think it's for right handed shooters only?  I've shot my S&W SW99, the P99's bastard American cousin, both right and left handed and it's comfortable in both hands, though when in the left hand it does kick hot brass out across your front.

How's that for a run-on sentence? [:D]

God Bless Texas
View Quote

This part:

The right grip and proper positioning of the pistol in the shooter's hand is essential for ultimate accuracy.
View Quote

I just read that and thought the right grip might be different than the left grip.  But the previous replies cleared that up.  Unfortunately, there is no gunshop nearby that has one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top