Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2007 8:07:35 PM EDT

I have a decent quality gun safe, but it isn't "fire proof".

Instead of buying a new one, can it be retrofitted with something to make it more fire resistant?

I inspected a friends safe, and it looks like it's lined with drywall material.  Is that all it takes?

Any ideas? Is this possible?

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I think it was decided that a sprinkler system would be the only true effective way to protect a safe.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a decent quality gun safe, but it isn't "fire proof".

Instead of buying a new one, can it be retrofitted with something to make it more fire resistant?

I inspected a friends safe, and it looks like it's lined with drywall material.  Is that all it takes?

Any ideas? Is this possible?

Safes are generally fireproofed with fire-rated gypsum board (a drywall variant)

The problem is that the gypsum board may prevent the contents from BURNING, but it does little to prevent them from MELTING...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top