Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 2:36:40 PM EDT
OK, so as I stated in a thread a few days ago, I got a check from my tenants that I am/was suspicious would bounce. So I called into their bank and they wouldn't verify funds for me. The only option I had at that point was to go off and deposit the check into my bank account, which I did. Well, the next day the funds had shown up as available in my account, which usually means that the check has cleared. However, since this was an out of state check from a different bank I decided to call my bank and find out if the check had cleared. They confirmed my suspicions that the check had not cleared and that the check probably wouldn't clear for at least 5 business days. They also told me that since I was a good customer they would just add the money to my available balance anyways. How sweet of them. When I asked the girl on the phone what would have happened if I had used that money to say oh, pay the mortgage on my house and the check came back NSF she of course told me that I would have an overdraft on my account. So, in addition to the the $32 NFS fee I would have had to pay a $50 overdraft fee.

Fucking worthless piece of shit conartist mother fuckers!!!

I'm beginning to hate the banking rackets almost as much as I hate the insurance racket!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
thats absolute bullshit, checks clear nightly now, so if the bank does that to you its intentional
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK, so as I stated in a thread a few days ago, I got a check from my tenants that I am/was suspicious would bounce. So I called into their bank and they wouldn't verify funds for me. The only option I had at that point was to go off and deposit the check into my bank account, which I did. Well, the next day the funds had shown up as available in my account, which usually means that the check has cleared. However, since this was an out of state check from a different bank I decided to call my bank and find out if the check had cleared. They confirmed my suspicions that the check had not cleared and that the check probably wouldn't clear for at least 5 business days. They also told me that since I was a good customer they would just add the money to my available balance anyways. How sweet of them. When I asked the girl on the phone what would have happened if I had used that money to say oh, pay the mortgage on my house and the check came back NSF she of course told me that I would have an overdraft on my account. So, in addition to the the $32 NFS fee I would have had to pay a $50 overdraft fee.

I'm beginning to hate the banking rackets almost as much as I hate the insurance racket!

Let me guess

CHASE  or  Bank of Amerika...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Banks do all kinds of crap like that. My ex used to work for several. Say the bank gets three checks drawing against your account at the same time. But there's not enough money in your account. They'll run the biggest check first against it, in hopes that you'll have more NSF checks to pay their charges for.

I bank with two banks now. One is getting too big for my comfort. The other is a tiny credit union that doesn't pull greedy pranks to screw-over their clients for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
So...... YOU deposit a worthless check and it's THE BANKS FAULT????

Reread what you posted. You knew the check was questionable and yet you expect the bank to cover it now? Get real.

Wait 10 days or so and then see if the funds are still available before you spend what you don't have.

Gee...........
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me guess

Chase.

I'm seriously considering closing my accounts and moving to a credit union.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Reread what you posted. You knew the check was questionable and yet you expect the bank to cover it now? Get real.

Wait 10 days or so and then see if the funds are still available before you spend what you don't have.

Gee...........

Are you literate?

I am not asking the bank to cover it, if it is indeed a bad check. I am pointing out their crooked tactic of giving me the money for the check despite the fact that the check may not be good and then plotting to chage me a $32 fee if the check bounces and another $50 fee if I spend the money before the check bounces, on top of having to repay the bank for any of the money that I would have spent.

I get screwed by someone who wrote me a check and the bank is trying to make another $85 off of me.

Don't sit down too hard, you might give yourself a concussion.

ETA - I didn't spend one cet of that money yet, and even if I had I still have enough money my account to cover it. However, that doesn't make what the bank is doing any less crooked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Gee...........

Wow. Another internets superhero.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Have them pay you their rent via paypal.

Commercial banks sucks for ordinary folks. However, they are a god send for high networth people.

Credit Unions and small community banks is the place you ought to be. Steve, since you are in the area, take a look at Viewpoint bank or Texans CU.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
NO, You are asking that the bank cover your checks based on your deposits that you know may not be good. Even as illiterate as I am, I can see that you should not spend money you don't know for sure that you have.

Wow.    A real brain tease, huh?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me guess

Chase.

That's not a bad idea.  I used to have an account at Bank of America.  I recently switched to a credit union and the service has been MUCH better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I fail to see what you are bitching at the bank for. You agreed to their terms and conditions when you opened an account there.  If you don't like the terms - take your business elsewhere (to another bank who probably has similar terms - or the same net effect through another mechanism).

If I thought a check I was depositing was possibly going to bounce - I wouldn't write anything against that amount.  If it DID bouce - of course I would incur a bad check fee.  If my account was so empty that it went negative - I would get an hefty overdraft fee.  My fault - my penalty.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
NO, You are asking that the bank cover your checks based on your deposits that you know may not be good. Even as illiterate as I am, I can see that you should not spend money you don't know for sure that you have.

Wow.    A real brain tease, huh?

Well, how am I supposed to know when the check actually clears if they make the funds available to me before the check clears?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me guess

Chase.

I closed all 4 accounts with CHASE and Bank of Amerika and opened one account with a Federal Credit union (Kinecta) and 2 other banks  WAMU and Wachovia.

It has been 2 years and NO issues at all, when I had the CHASE accounts...at least 2 times a month. Bullshit fee's, and all kinds of other problems.  I always kept at least 10K in the banks too, but the bullshit would never stop.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Why didn't you just go to the bank it was drawn off of and cash it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
10-4 buddy.. I hate banks too... my bank charged me somthing like 6 overdrafts all of them on debit card transactions. it used to be that if there wasnt enough money in the account a debit card would be denied.... but not anymore. bastards !!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1

Thats what I do whenever I get a check from somebody I don't know.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I fail to see what you are bitching at the bank for. You agreed to their terms and conditions when you opened an account there.  If you don't like the terms - take your business elsewhere (to another bank who probably has similar terms - or the same net effect through another mechanism).

If I thought a check I was depositing was possibly going to bounce - I wouldn't write anything against that amount.  If it DID bouce - of course I would incur a bad check fee.  If my account was so empty that it went negative - I would get an hefty overdraft fee.  My fault - my penalty.

I'm bitching because it is a setup. They give you the money immediately because they want you to spend it right away. That way if the check comes back NSF then they get to charge you the NSF fee and an overdraft fee if you don't have the money to cover the check in your account at the time.

I save the money from my tenants and budget my house payment out of the money I get from my job. On top of that I have several thousand dollars in that account anyways, so even if I had spent the money (which I didn't) I wouldn't have an overdraft fee.

That is irrelevant though. I don't like doing business with an entity that plots ways to fuck it's customers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I would, but the bank only has branches in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#20]
And you would be on here ranting if they put the 5 business day hold they are ALLOWED to use on an out of state check.

If you are not sure how good the check is then wait 5 business days before adding that amount in your checkbook.

Depending on distance it can take a couple days to clear checks, particularly if it has to pass through multiple clearance banks.
Your bank sends it to the clearing house for your city/state/area, who then has to send it on to the clearing house for the originating bank, who finally gets it to the original bank, who then takes another day to actually bounce the thing.

Be sure to collect a bounce fee from the tenant, along with any other costs incurred.
It should be in the lease.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#21]
You guys are all ranting to Motown Steve about trying to get his money from the bank, and to make sure they do not overdraw his account because of somebody else knowingly writing HOT checks.

THE REAL ISSUE is the Motherfuckers who right checks and know they DO NOT have the money in the account in the first place, that is the problem.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You guys are all ranting to Motown Steve about trying to get his money from the bank, and to make sure they do not overdraw his account because of somebody else knowingly writing HOT checks.

THE REAL ISSUE is the Motherfuckers who right checks and know they DO NOT have the money in the account in the first place, that is the problem.

You are right - but folks find it easier to work themselves up in a group frenzy over an institution.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=bank_checking_main

Free checking.

No ATM fees.

Deposit checks from home by scanning them on your scanner.

Best interest rates on your accounts than any other bank in America.

Free online bill pay.

Account monitoring.

I have my credit monitored for $5 a month and get updates via email to let me know of any weird activity.

Too bad you have to either be military or recently separated/retired military to enjoy it.  Or if your parents are current members.

I switched my insurance as well, and saved $1000 a year over State Farm, with better coverage and lower deductibles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

[snip]

I have been a member of Navy Federal Credit Union for over 27 years...they have never once pulled that shit on me.

+1, NFCU member for 19 years.  Also, USAA has excellent banking products as well, I've transferred all banking & insurance to them.  (But you must be affiliated with the .mil for USAA.)

Edit: looks like Green70 already suggested USAA!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee...........

Son,

Did you read the post

Why doesn't the bank place the funds in his account when the check actually clears

It's a stupid prank by the bank to fuck over their customers.

Gee.....

I have been a member of Navy Federal Credit Union for over 27 years...they have never once pulled that shit on me.

Is there a part in there where he decided to accept an out of state check for a rent payment?

No one forced him to do that. He made a choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top