BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 1:46:30 PM EDT
Longview High student suspended for pellet gun

Click-2-Listen
FROM STAFF REPORTS

Friday, October 12, 2007

A Longview High School student was suspended Friday for having a pellet gun on campus, Superintendent James Wilcox said. The student was moving the gun from the back seat of his car to a toolbox. Another student saw the gun, thought it was a real gun and reported it, Wilcox said.

The student said he was a Longview Police Explorer and that he uses the pellet gun in training, Wilcox said.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "That's not a sanctioned campus activity."
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
BB gun free zones!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid snitches.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure what a police explorer is... but I am sure that this has been blown way out of proportion by school admin.  If he wasn't brandishing, then leave him alone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 to the above 3 4 posts
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Stupid snitches.  

Can you blame them after what's been happening lately?  There was another school shooting just this week.

If you didn't know the difference between a pellet rifle and a firearm, and you saw someone in a highschool parking lot moving a rifle around in their vehicle, wouldn't you report it?

I sure as hell would.

It's because of the PC crowd and "minding your own business" that school shooters aren't caught more often BEFORE the act.

We had a kid in school that always threatened people with death, kept saying he was gonna shoot everyone, kept a list of people he was gonna kill, was a total weirdo, etc.  He finally made a very realistic threat and I called the local PD to report him.

Never saw him again after that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Police Explorer is a form of Boy scouts taught by cops.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like zero tolerance policies, but the rule is what the rule is.

He shouldn't have had the weapon on school grounds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
So what does him being a Police Explorer have to do with anything?

If the school policy is no firearms (including BB guns) and they provided notice through written rules or the state did through statute then anyone in violation of those rules has to face the music regardless of who they are.

A Police Explorer should know better than the average student that school policy.  Justice is blind and I see no reason to shed a tear for him.

If the people decide that this policy is horrible they can take moves to have it changed or the young man himself can challenge on a constitutional basis, but there are no free passes to a kid just because he's a "police explorer."

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Longview High student suspended for pellet gun

Click-2-Listen
FROM STAFF REPORTS

Friday, October 12, 2007

A Longview High School student was suspended Friday for having a pellet gun on campus, Superintendent James Wilcox said. The student was moving the gun from the back seat of his car to a toolbox. Another student saw the gun, thought it was a real gun and reported it, Wilcox said.

The student said he was a Longview Police Explorer and that he uses the pellet gun in training, Wilcox said.

"Was" being the operative word here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
If he was an Explorer, he should have known that rules apply to everyone-cops don't get a free pass to ignore them. Particularly not Cop Scouts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
He's an idiot. Unfortunately way too common in Explorer groups.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If he was an Explorer, he should have known that rules apply to everyone-cops don't get a free pass to ignore them. Particularly not Cop Scouts.

Yep.

Otherwise, he's already falling into the category of people who think the law applies to them differently.  There are a large number of police officers who have that mentality.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He's an idiot. Unfortunately way too common in Explorer groups.

Yeah, I've worked with a group of them before and out of the dozen or so that I met, there wasn't a single one that I'd trust with a sidearm and a pair of cuffs.

Most were total idiots; some were just nerds.  The really scary ones were the kids who acted like they were itching to shoot somebody.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
A sane person would have given him a warning.  But then again, a sane person wouldn't go into school administration.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Stupid snitches.  

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stupid snitches.  

Yep.

You break the rules, you take your chances. Not an advocate of the zero tolerance bullshit, but if you're going to break the rules, you should be smart enough NOT TO GET CAUGHT. If you fail at that, man up and take your lickin'.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am not sure what a police explorer is... but I am sure that this has been blown way out of proportion by school admin.  If he wasn't brandishing, then leave him alone.

In these PC times?  Does not compute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top