Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2007 7:20:54 AM EDT
So a few weekends ago I participated in a cancer shoot at a local gun club with my GF's co workers, we did a round of sporting clays. She followed our group through the course taking pictures and just enjoying the time spend hanging out with her fellow employees off the job.

In the three years we've been dating she hasnt once touched a firearm, if I open the gun cabinet, she'll go home pissed at me. Her entire family (Dad, Mom, her, and two sisters) are all anti Gun and give me crap for deer hunting and such... the usual uneducated people who just hate firearms and think they're the root of all evil.

Well by the end of the day at the cancer shoot she was carying the 12ga for me (I saw the light!) telling me how much fun it looked. When we were leaving she told me might want to give it a shot sometime...

So this weekend we're headed up to the property... she went to Gander Mountain with me and bought shells and clays (she paid for the clays w00t!) any tips or suggestions how I should go about getting her into this the right way?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
watch your six; it's a trap.

+1 My wife used to say "I'd really like to go shooting sometime because I have never shot a gun before" when we were dating.

Now it's "I don't even want to see the guns we have in the house or know the combination to the safe."

My wife also kept her last name when we got married. She'll probably vote for Hillary just because she is a woman (barely), and then I will have to leave her.

Mike F

Your life just made me sad, sorry bro
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Put a black rifle in her hands and tell her to pull the trigger really fast, show her the power of the dark side
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Make sure no brass goes down her shirt. They kinda get pissy about that one.

Been there, done that, now wear t-shirts when shooting!

Keep it easy and fun.  Once your gf can put the rounds where she wants them to go, reactive targets are a hoot.  Easy and cheap is one or two liter pop bottles filled with water, or balloons if they're tied down so they don't move too much in the wind.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.sirviper.com/div/mig61.jpg

Time to make her an ex-GF.  You've been dating 3 years and she's barely changed her tune.  What makes you think she eventually will more?

She's trying to sucker you into marrying her and then she'll snap back to her former anti-gun self.  You'll have to sell all your guns and you'll never get pie again.

Bingo.

Three years with a liberal?   Dood - what's up with that?

Eject now any find a good conservative (read: one who can think) gal.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

dump her and find a person with an open mind and an ability to process rational thought.

FTW
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Dare I ask what shells she purchased?  If there is anyway to to use some of your "old" Winchester AA target loads (or other low recoil shell)?  Also make sure she is happy with her ear/eye protection.
---
Oh, and btw - she is tired of being your gf.  Enjoy the weekend, but your days together dating are numbered.  While conversion might be a slight chance, most likely it is just a trap - so you might as well enjoy it while you can.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Run.
Don't walk.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey now be nice, my wife was a liberal vegetarian. Luckily her political views have moderted some now. She was very anti-gun. In fact we got into a long discussion about it prior to moving in together. Well we recently got married and are incredibly happy and she goes to the range every time.

Love is not based on political views.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
It took three years to get to this point?  No one can accuse you of taking things too fast.

Seems that after 3 years she finally trusts you enough to be around you when you are armed.  Going to the range with her will be more about trust and comfort than just having fun.  Make sure you make her feel like the safest place in the world is a gun range.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Go apeshit and shoot her.

he
Let us know how this all works out...

-Warren-
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You might get her to accept your "hobby" because she wants to please you, but just wait until the first baby is in the picture.  Your "hobby" will no longer be welcome in the house.

Good Luck!

Exactly!  I know this fella who owned a pistol LONG before he found his "soulmate" , they got married, had a kid....and he is no longer allowed to keep the pistol in the home.  Awwwww, but at least he's happy - <grumble>

I gotta ask'em next time if he's allowed to stand to take a piss.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Bring a shovel
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You might get her to accept your "hobby" because she wants to please you, but just wait until the first baby is in the picture.  Your "hobby" will no longer be welcome in the house.

Good Luck!

I love my wife. She actually gets nervous when the AR is NOT at the bedside/no pistol in the car/no guns on the wilderness hikes/unarmed in Cali.

I love her so much. Cute too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got thr truck loaded allready, We're leaving at 14:00 Wisconsin time...

I've got packed:

.22LR, Bolt Action Romanian Training Rifle (remember that $60 Dunhams special?)
.17HMR Savage w/3x9 scope
.223 16" M4 (to be hidden because it was birthed by the devil himself)
20ga youth single shot break action (might fit her better)
20ga 870 Wingmaster, both 18" slug and 26" Bird barrel
12ga 870 Express, both 20" slug and 26" Bird barrel

I've got everything in locks and I'm really going to stress the safety issue to demonstrate the responsibility involved with handeling firearms.

We have a 25yd range, so I'll begin with the .22LR, teach her muzzle control, loading, unloading, the basics of shooting, and see if she can hit paper... Then I figured move to the .17HMR, which will boost her self-esteem because its basically just placing crosshairs at 25yds (a retarded monkey can achieve this)... after seeing how much paper she's destroyed I'd let her give the youth 20ga a chance to see if she can blast some clays on the ground, and eventually wing a few out there by hand...

I think I'ma go eat a sandwich before I pack anymore stuff

edit: we're stopping at Cabelas on the way so I'll buy her her own set of shooting glasses, and I've got the 250 pack of earplugs in the truck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top