Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2007 5:05:33 AM EDT
Now I can't  remember if the scene I'm thinking about is in JAWS1 or JAWS2, but theres a scene in one of the films when Roy Scheider, as police chief Martin Brody, is seen handloading some ammo at home.

During the scene, he drips some red ( 'poison?) liquid into some hollowpoints, and then seals them over with candle wax. Whilst he's doing this, one of his kids comes home, and he drops a towel over the bench to hide them. (He does end up firing his revolver (i think) at the beach....

Does anybody remember this ? Care to speculate on the substance he was using ?

It all looked a little Hollywood to me, afterall, I wouldnt  expect the wax seal to last on the heads after he fires the first shot ?

Just curious !

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Now I can't  remember if the scene I'm thinking about is in JAWS1 or JAWS2, but theres a scene in one of the films when Roy Scheider, as police chief Martin Brody, is seen handloading some ammo at home.

During the scene, he drips some red ( 'poison?) liquid into some hollowpoints, and then seals them over with candle wax. Whilst he's doing this, one of his kids comes home, and he drops a towel over the bench to hide them. (He does end up firing his revolver (i think) at the beach....

Does anybody remember this ? Care to speculate on the substance he was using ?

It all looked a little Hollywood to me, afterall, I wouldnt  expect the wax seal to last on the heads after he fires the first shot ?

Just curious !

It was cyanide.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]

He did fire the rounds but it was into a school of fish he thought looked like Jaws.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I've read everything from strychnine to mercury. Strychnine or some other powerful poison is the only plausible ingredient. The bit about sealing it into the holes of hollowp oint bullets with candle wax is pure fantasy though. I doubt candle wax would hold up to the rigors of  being fired from a gun. Something like the wax used to fill gas check grooves in lead bullets might work.

In the end one has to remember it's all Hollywood fantasy B.S. They don't understand the basic mechanics or physics of firearms.

Galland
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Cyanide and wax bullet of truth?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top