Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2007 4:59:54 AM EDT
Dodgeball!!

Man, if I could get a crew together today I would. 3rd-5th grade dodgeball was the cats ass!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
we used to play that back in elementary/middle school in NY until it was banned.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that was fun.  You could bust someone upside the head and not have them running to mommy and daddy crying, with lawyer tagging behind.  Should have moved faster, and they recognized it.  All common sense is lost nowadays.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
My middle school gym teacher was a visionary.

He invented all of these dodgeball-esque games...the bestest was called "American Ball" and was like dodge ball but with no teams, no middle line, and varying size balls from tennis balls up to very large red gym balls that the little kids could barely lift.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, dodgeball is pretty kick ass...we played it last friday. I love Air Force PT
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
dodgeball was great

sneaking a basketball into the mix was fun also
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Our city has co-rec dodgeball in the winter.  Nothing like continuing to abuse the fat and weak well into adulthood!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a runt in school, always picked last for teams.  Nobody ever gave me the ball when we played football or basketball and baseball, well, let's just say I bunted a lot.  That said, dodgeball rocked.  It was the one game where I was on an even playing field with everyone else.  There were no shortage of balls to around and it was easy to blindside even the best sports guys.  And being a beanpole, I was hard as hell to hit!  I really feel sorry for the runts of today.  Political correctness has robbed them of the one game they could really excel at.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
child of the '80s here, dodgeball rocks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Dodge

Duck

Dip

Dive

and

Dodge

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
We actually have quite a bit of bar league dodgeball year round here.  The ball seems to be flying faster and harder since I was in 3rd grade!    
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We actually have quite a bit of bar league dodgeball year round here.  The ball seems to be flying faster and harder since I was in 3rd grade!    

Ahh, that is soooooo coool!! I have played in a few softball leagues since I got out of college, but no dodgeball. I, too, miss dodgeball . . .
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#12]
That was a classic.  I recall "Smear The Queer" being another recess favorite where I grew up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#13]
We called it "German Dodge Ball". Only the strong survived.

There was always 'that guy' who had a rocket on his arm , and then there was 'that girl' who ALWAYS put her arms to her face and screamed.

Then there was that girl who always suprised everyone, then there was that girl with the nice legs.

We also played kick ball.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
"kill the man with the ball" was also a favorite at recess for us
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Start one up! Contact your local watering hole that sponsers softball, pool darts whatever...get the dodgeball rolling!  There WILL be much interest I assure you.  I think it started out as a cancer fundraiser here and took off like wildfire.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dodgeball!!

Man, if I could get a crew together today I would. 3rd-5th grade dodgeball was the cats ass!

That was for wussies...
When we were kids we played dodgeball with a 12 gauge...Now that's playin for keeps...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That was a classic.  I recall "Smear The Queer" being another recess favorite where I grew up.

Believe it or not, when the grass was too wet to play on...we'd play on the asphalt basketball courts.

Scraped knees and ripped jeans were the norm.

I'd imagine contemporary parents and school systems would go on "lockdown" if anything similar were to happen today.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#18]
In my school it was called Bombardment. Same game I think.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, grew up in the 80's.....
Dogeball
Kickball
Smeer the Queer
Hoopla
Butts-up 7-up
Gridball
...good stuff.

The girls used to use a Jai-Alai type throw in dodgeball. They were some of the hardest hitters...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Nowadays, dodgeball is humiliating and dangerous for children. I also heard the little kiddies aren't allowed to play musical chairs either, too humiliating.

What other games are a no-no nowadays?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I was a runt in school, always picked last for teams.  Nobody ever gave me the ball when we played football or basketball and baseball, well, let's just say I bunted a lot.  That said, dodgeball rocked.  It was the one game where I was on an even playing field with everyone else.  There were no shortage of balls to around and it was easy to blindside even the best sports guys.  And being a beanpole, I was hard as hell to hit!  I really feel sorry for the runts of today.  Political correctness has robbed them of the one game they could really excel at.

Same here!!  Thin as a rail but could launch a dodge ball so hard it would bouce straight back to me after smakin' my target in the head!

Made my bullies nose bleed once......it was AWSOME!  Our coaches reaction "walk it off son"
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Nowadays, dodgeball is humiliating and dangerous for children. I also heard the little kiddies aren't allowed to play musical chairs either, too humiliating.

Life.  Life has been deemed unfair and humiliating. Children should no longer be subjected to it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.dodgeballusa.com/gallery/2006%20Dodgeball%20Days%20Adult%20Action/images/img_2822.jpg

somebody is gonna be pissed when guido there gets a solid hit on their ole cabeza
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Can't play tag at my son's elemetary school.  "Too rough"  don't want to get pushed ya know.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Kansas City has adult dodgeball and kickball leagues. Less ghey than "frisbee golf" if you ask me.

P2.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and...Dodge

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top