Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 9:24:03 PM EDT
Read it and weep...

SPRINGFIELD – A federal grand jury indicted a Springfield police officer last week on fraud charges. This federal indictment charges Officer Charles Johnson of the Springfield Police Department with three counts of mail fraud and one count of unlawful use of credit cards.

The indictment against Johnson has four counts of some of the most common fraud charges in the country. A former federal prosecutor says, however, that the defendant is an unlikely one.

“In my 27 years of experience, I never had a police officer involved in a credit card fraud,” said David C. Jones, a former assistant U.S. attorney in Springfield.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney for the Western District of Missouri says Johnson applied for credit through Capital One and PayPal but used another person's name to open the accounts from 2003 to 2005. The indictment says Johnson used the victim's personal information to defraud the credit companies of $1,000 or more.

Jones was a federal prosecutor for 27 years and is now a criminal defense attorney.

“It would appear that he caused or actually obtained credit using someone else's credit information and then used that credit to obtain services or goods from the credit card companies,” said Jones, who has no involvement in this case but looked at it at the request of KY3 News.

The three counts of mail fraud involve each time a credit card company sends a bill through the mail to the unknowing victim.

“Each mailing of an envelope under the mail fraud statute is a separate count,” said Jones.

Johnson, who has been with the Springfield Police Department for about a year, is on paid administrative leave, effective Wednesday. Police Chief Lynn Rowe offered no further comment. Neither did the leader of the police union, other than to say it's a huge shock.

“It's sad that it's a police officer but people sometimes do things you don't expect,” said Jones.

If convicted, Johnson could face more than 20 years in prison and/or a fine up to $250,000.

Article & Video

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
edited title
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Lynn Rowe is still chief there?

He was the Police Chief when I first moved there in 1993!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
LAX HIRING STANDARDS
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
MO is becomming well known in the national news for cops doing stupid shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Stupid is as stupid does, amazes me when someone pisses a career away.

Amen.  Where I work I've seen more than a handful of guys get canned for having a sexual relationship with a female that was off limits (e.g. on probation).  I hope the memories of the sex is a comfort as they are flipping burgers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Will this affect LGF
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The indictment says Johnson used the victim's personal information to defraud the credit companies of $1,000 or more.

" I'll take felony arrest, 20yr jailtime, 1/4million dollar fine, loss of job-house-family-friends,and public humiliation for $1000, Alex...."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top