Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 8:45:07 PM EDT
One of my best friends just broke up with his girlfriend of 3 years a month ago.  Ever since he broke up with her I have been trying to get him to go out and meet some other girls.  Well unfortunately one of my female friends who is 22 has a sister who is only 16 years of age.  He seems to like her alot, however, he is 22 years old.  Why he would want to date a 16 year old high school student is beyond me and I have tried to dissuade him from doing so on more than one occasion.  He says that he at least wants to ask her out once and see how things go, and her sister seems to not have a problem with this.  What I am concerned about, and what I tried  to convey to him, is that he could face legal penalties if he were to have intercourse with her.  I am really torn because of this, as I want the guy to be happy since he is my best friend, but I do not want to see him end up in jail for statutory rape if something were to happen consensually between him and the younger girl.  I have been trying to research laws in KY regarding age of consent to show him what he could be facing.  No matter what I have said to him, he is still adimant about going out with this girl.  Should I be upset about this(it seems no one else really is)?  My bigger question is could he face legal trouble if he were to date this girl?  That is the argument I am trying to use to try to convince him not to date this girl so please try to keep posts relevant to the legality of this situation.  Sorry for the length of this, but I am really concerned about my friend and his choices.  Thank you for your advice and possible ways to help me deal with this.

Here is what I have found regarding my state's age of consent/statutory rape.

510.060 Rape in the third degree.
(1) A person is guilty of rape in the third degree when:
(a) He engages in sexual intercourse with another person who is incapable of
consent because he or she is mentally retarded;
(b) Being twenty-one (21) years old or more, he or she engages in sexual
intercourse with another person less than sixteen (16) years old;
(c) Being twenty-one (21) years old or more, he or she engages in sexual
intercourse with another person less than eighteen (18) years old and for
whom he or she provides a foster family home as defined in KRS 600.020
; or
(d) Being a person in a position of authority or position of special trust, as defined
in KRS 532.045, he or she engages in sexual intercourse with a minor under
sixteen (16) years old with whom he or she comes into contact as a result of
that position.
(2) Rape in the third degree is a Class D felony.
Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Amended 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 182, sec. 31, effective July 12, 2006. -- Amended
2002 Ky. Acts ch. 259, sec. 7, effective July 15, 2002; and ch. 282, sec. 1, effective
July 15, 2002. -- Amended 1988 Ky. Acts ch. 283, sec. 12, effective July 15, 1988. --
Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 86, effective January 1, 1975.

KRS 600.020
(26) "Foster family home" means a private home in which children are placed for foster
family care under supervision of the cabinet or a licensed child-placing agency;

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see a problem with it based upon the law you provided above.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, show him this and point out that if he screws her then he's in big trouble, if they abstain though, it should be completely legal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks legal to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top