Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 3:36:06 PM EDT
I posted a couple weeks ago when he left. I give him an EOTech and some ladder rail covers for his rifle.

He called today and said how happy he is with the sight and all.

After getting off the phone with him, I forgot to ask him if he would like a Hogue grip. Because he really liked them on my rifles.  

My first question is will the Military let him put something like that on his rifle? If it's ok......I'll send him one tomorrow!

My second question is what kind of products/ammenities are your favorite in receiving packages from home?

Now lets be practical here guys.

Thank You!!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I liked food items that I couldn't get there.  This is a personal preference issue, so your best bet is to ask him.  It really is that simple.  Same for gear shit, or anything else.  Just ask him.  

Book and DVD's might be an area to explore with him as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
They shouldn't have a problem with him changing a grip, depends on his unit.  I had a hogue on mine over there.  

Stuff that is always good to get:

Beef Jerky
Drink mixes (any kind)
Magazines (guns, cars, motorcycles, whatever he likes)
Snacks (nuts, candy, whatever, something easily stuffed in a pocket)
Booze "special" clear drinks like powerade
Popcorn (if he has a place to pop it)
Movies and Music (burned is great, mp3 format)

Other more practical stuff like socks will be up to him depending on where he is and what he does.  No two people over there have the same situation so it varies what they need.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume they like baby wipes or sanitary wipes. They probably come in handy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Booze "special" clear drinks like powerade

Care to elaborate?? Or something I should figure out myself?

I could never condone doing anything illegal, it's against the CoC.  

Yes, replacing all or some of the liquid in a sports drink bottle with a different and relatively odorless, clear liquid would be a violation of the rules.  Thus any indication you may have received that someone here might be suggesting that, or telling you how to do it, is purely due to a misunderstanding on your part.

Gotcha!! I don't even know what the hell you guys are talking about??

I'm on a 2 step program!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I work for the Mail over here, driving the semis to the APOs in Kuwait and Iraq. Don't do it, man, they find that shit every day. All mail is x-rayed, anything suspicious and the footlocker is cracked open. It's a competition for the JMMTs/APOs to see who finds the most contraband. Mailing alcohol to an APO in the Middle East is a FELONY for you, and a big problem for the recipient. Don't take the chance. Besides, there's plenty of it over here anyway, you just have to know who to ask!

Fred
Kuwait

Thanks Fred....and I would NOT do that in the first place. I would prefer my nephew having his wits about him 24/7!

But since you work for the Mail......give me some ideas on what to send him. I'm sure you've seen it all. There must be some things that are the big hitters?

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're nephew is in a combat unit don't send any booze.  He will be doing all kinds of missions with no clear cut schedule.  He won't have time  to be drunk or time to nurse a hangover, plus, if he's young and dumb, you could be giving him the chance to do something stupid and get in trouble.

The Vickers sling is something I gaurantee he will appreciate.  It's the best thing going.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It is really going to depend on where he is stationed. There is no happy medium anywhere here. The camps are either so well stocked that it almost feels like home, or you can barely get enough water to get through the day.

An exageration of course, but you get the idea.

Many MWRs have boxes of care packages with stuff in them; toiletries, snacks, body care products, playing cards, etc. The BX/PX usually has most of what is needed on a decent base, but that of course costs money (one thing that is always welcome!). However, there are plenty of FOBs that haven't didely squat. So, find out what kind of place he's going to be in and make a decision. Otherwise it's a crap shoot as to what he'll use and what he'll toss into the box at the MWR..if there is an MWR!

Food is good. Beef jerky, drink mixes, home-made cookies area a hit. Video games, if he's into that. Many camps have libraries that you can get paperbacks, and the Iraqi shops get movies for about $3-4 before they even get to the states, so don't bother with those.

If he'll be outside the wire, is he using an M9? How about quality magazine rebuild kits? Mags themselves are a no-no, but springs and sandpaper are great. Same could be said for the M-16/M-4 mags. Basic repair and cleaning kits. Quality knife sharpener and a quality knife.

It's going to be cold soon, and I mean COLD. SOCKS (military style, thick ones)! Good quality shooter's gloves. Boot insoles.

Do not forget him on Christmas/birthday. There is nothing like getting a letter or package from home. Keep in mind that you will want to mail a little early. I'm already starting to see the Christmas rush come in, believe it or not. How about an iPod, if he has a laptop with him? New 80gigers are down to $250, for Christ's sake! Wait a month and buy 'em refurbed strait from Apple.

To bad you can't send him a deep fried Turkey for thanksgiving!

Tell him I said God Bless, and that goes for you too for taking care of him.

Fred
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is really going to depend on where he is stationed. There is no happy medium anywhere here. The camps are either so well stocked that it almost feels like home, or you can barely get enough water to get through the day.

An exageration of course, but you get the idea.

Many MWRs have boxes of care packages with stuff in them; toiletries, snacks, body care products, playing cards, etc. The BX/PX usually has most of what is needed on a decent base, but that of course costs money (one thing that is always welcome!). However, there are plenty of FOBs that haven't didely squat. So, find out what kind of place he's going to be in and make a decision. Otherwise it's a crap shoot as to what he'll use and what he'll toss into the box at the MWR..if there is an MWR!

Food is good. Beef jerky, drink mixes, home-made cookies area a hit. Video games, if he's into that. Many camps have libraries that you can get paperbacks, and the Iraqi shops get movies for about $3-4 before they even get to the states, so don't bother with those.

If he'll be outside the wire, is he using an M9? How about quality magazine rebuild kits? Mags themselves are a no-no, but springs and sandpaper are great. Same could be said for the M-16/M-4 mags. Basic repair and cleaning kits. Quality knife sharpener and a quality knife.

It's going to be cold soon, and I mean COLD. SOCKS (military style, thick ones)! Good quality shooter's gloves. Boot insoles.

Do not forget him on Christmas/birthday. There is nothing like getting a letter or package from home. Keep in mind that you will want to mail a little early. I'm already starting to see the Christmas rush come in, believe it or not. How about an iPod, if he has a laptop with him? New 80gigers are down to $250, for Christ's sake! Wait a month and buy 'em refurbed strait from Apple.

To bad you can't send him a deep fried Turkey for thanksgiving!

Tell him I said God Bless, and that goes for you too for taking care of him.

Fred

THANK YOU FRED!!

This is what I'm looking for!

Although practicality went out the window with a $250 iPod. The EOTech was the best I could do.

And as far as deep fried Turkey........I'm betting there is a "Radar" or "Klinger" in the mix some where that can get that job done! Just thinking??

God Bless You!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Canned smoked oysters seem to go over well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top