Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 5:51:55 AM EDT
This is something I have never looked into before but have to at this point.

I have 4 rifles and a bunch of ammo to lock away.

I would like something that can bolt through the
floor to secure it.

Any idea where i should look for these and what's of decent value ?

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two different Homak models.  They are not huge vaults but, they are failry secure and keep things out of most hands...  You can get them from 100-200 depending on the size and configuration.  You can find them at most retail chains that sell guns like Walmart, Sports Authority, etc.  Both of mine can be bolted through the back into wall studs.  Even comes with the hardware!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get them on sale usually at the end of the 'season' at Wal-chinesecrap-mart.They come in handy,gun cabnets only stop honest folk though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep my guns in a Homak 8 gun safe, and the ammo in one of those sliding tupperware things under the bed, there just isnt room in the safe for even a small ammo collection with more than 3 guns in the thing.  The number of guns is based on thin guns, like lever actions and shotguns, not thick stuff like ARs, so buy something much bigger than you need.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 11 month old twin girls that are starting to get into EVERYTHING. So my primary concern is protecting my little ones. But at the same time I don't want to make it easy for a couple of common criminals to pick up the cabinet and walk off with it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one of these cheap 8 gun cabinets and it suits me just fine.  Keeps the kids and cats out.  It easily bolted to the wall and does it's job.  It ain't a Fort Knox, but since my wife and I are almost always home any criminal would have to get past us first anyway.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know if you have a Menards nearby, but they have two different models I think a 10 & 16 gun capacity. There like $300 & $400 very secure vault types. Good looking deadbolt style but not fire rated.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got a Winchester model safe at Sams Club.  A good value for the money.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got a Winchester model safe at Sams Club. A good value for the money.
View Quote

I have a sams club about 10 minutes away from me.

Could you give me details and price info on the unit.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If your arms are worth anything to you get a full safe that is fire proof and theft proof. the 'nice' safes are a little more but then again you'll never have to worry about someone breaking in and stealing your stuff or regret if a fire breaks out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Homak cabinets now, they are good, my next house will have a 10 x 10 room, guns, work and reloading bench, and computer....LOL AR15.com in peace
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just got a Winchester model safe at Sams Club. A good value for the money.
View Quote

I have a sams club about 10 minutes away from me.

Could you give me details and price info on the unit.

Thanks
View Quote

The safe is sold under the Winchester name at Sam’s.  It is constructed of 10-gauge steel and has a fire rating of 1,200° F for 32 minutes. It has a side-door locking system with two independent relockers and a full-length dead locking bar on the hinged side of the door. External hinges allow a full 180° door opening and a locking combination lock and five-spoke vault handle.

Dimensions: 60"H x 30"W x 24"D.
Weight: 660 lbs.
Color: Green.
Max rifle capacity: 22

Thy sell for around $800 - $900.  Cabela’s sells the same safe for $1,300 and the closes Liberty safe is around $1,150.

It is worth the investment.  I had a nice gun locker, but you can use a saws-all to cut the top off while I will not have to worry about this happening to my safe.

It took me five years to get one.  I used to go on trips and worry.  Now I have a piece of mind.  I have two friends with these safes and they love them.  I spent $450 on my locking gun locker 6 years ago.  If you buy a gun locker, you will still need a safe down the road.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If your a John Deere fan check out their safe I believe it is made by Liberty sells for $800 and is fire and burglar resistant. It is a beauty.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]
the great thing about gun cabnits is it allows the thief to pick out the crap before he steals them
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the exact same safe. It really is a good buy. I did my research on gun safes before I decided to buy one and this is the best in terms of capacity, quality, and rating for the money that I was willing to pay.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's my recommendation for "budget" security. Much better than Homak...

[url]http://pub49.ezboard.com/ffloridashootersnetworkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=624.topic[/url]

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LwAgE0wPRlto9LGxb8l5jn38zCjLlk1W4wN1Ntc9rcs6Pgxf6JV*1wu2AZZ*dcIJriO8qQDzrBI/gcd-924.bmp[/img]

Here are some specs:

Double Door 10-Gun, Heavy Gauge, Steel Security Cabinet with Separately Keyed Valuable Cabinet

GUN CABINET:

Holds 10 rifles or shotguns up to 54" tall.
Foam padded sides and bottom reduce the chance of scratching.
VALUABLE CABINET:

4 large foam padded removable steel shelves - are perfect for storing ammo and hand guns as well as other valuables such as cameras, jewelry, etc.
Reinforced door.
3 point locking system with drill resistant key coded lock for greater security.
Fastening hardware for bolting the cabinet to the floor or wall is included.
Dimensions:
32"W x 13-1/2"D x 55"H
(81cm x 34cm x 140cm)

I quoted him $350.00 but I get free shipping on 3 or more. On 3 I can actually go $325.00 each AND NO SHIPPING COSTS. So if you live in South Florida and want a decent security cabinet, now is your chance.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the exact same safe. It really is a good buy. I did my research on gun safes before I decided to buy one and this is the best in terms of capacity, quality, and rating for the money that I was willing to pay.

View Quote

I did the same thing, I went to outfitters and gun shops and it was the best value for the price.   Safes that were in the same price range had half the capacity and safes with the same features cost $300 to $500 more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top