Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 6:55:41 AM EDT
That since I'm the "computer guy" here at work. They think that they can bring in there broken shit and Ill fix it for free? Why? Women are the worst, come in with cleavage flashing and batting eyes, acting the dumb blond. Please can you look at my POS I got from Costco. Its a real killer system with vista and a whole 1 gig of ram!! But its so slow.. (no i would not hit it.. think land manatee)

When I'm out and about or when out with mom at parties. I tell everyone I'm a garbage collector. That way I'm not having to listen to bullshit tails about there computer or home network they setup up them selves..

Jeez everyone wants something for nothing.. So should I stick a slice of swiss cheese in her heatsink?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
That since I'm the "computer guy" here at work. They think that they can bring in there broken shit and Ill fix it for free? Why? Women are the worst, come in with cleavage flashing and batting eyes, acting the dumb blond. Please can you look at my POS I got from Costco. Its a real killer system with vista and a whole 1 gig of ram!! But its so slow.. (no i would not hit it.. think land manatee)

When I'm out and about or when out with mom at parties. I tell everyone I'm a garbage collector. That way I'm not having to listen to bullshit tails about there computer or home network they setup up them selves..

Jeez everyone wants something for nothing.. So should I stick a slice of swiss cheese in her heatsink?

Absolutely.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.  

I wonder how it would smell after a week? LOL
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Is that code for SIIHPAPP? If so, yes, by all means. If not, I have no idea what you are saying.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.  

I wonder how it would smell after a week? LOL

Pretty awesome, I imagine.  Especially if you added a small piece of ham.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I do the same thing.
It is expected.
Just let them know why it is running slow etc.
As long as its company time who gives a crap.
Be lucky they dont call you at home as I am betting your family does.
I do this shit enough during the day let alone at night.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I just tell them to call Geek Squad or one of the other vendors. It takes a little practice to say NO effectivley. You also need to be careful about "family" volunteering you for work. My sister was famous for this until she had to tell her friend that she misspoke and that I wouldn't be able to spend my entire weekend off fixing the computer that her kids fucked up.

The absolute best way to stop it is to tell them your hourly rate up front. By telling them that you charge $40-100 an hour for computer repairs... PLUS travel and parts, you will be guarenteed to never have a free-loader take advantage of you again. The conversation goes somethin like this:

Them: I'm having this problem with my PC
You: I charge (price) an hour for diagnostic plus parts, minimum charge is 2 hours
Them: THAT'S MORE THAN GEEK SQUAD CHARGES !!!! I'll could just take it there.
You: OK. How about them Mets ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just tell them to call Geek Squad or one of the other vendors. It takes a little practice to say NO effectivley. You also need to be careful about "family" volunteering you for work. My sister was famous for this until she had to tell her friend that she misspoke and that I wouldn't be able to spend my entire weekend off fixing the computer that her kids fucked up.

The absolute best way to stop it is to tell them your hourly rate up front. By telling them that you charge $40-100 an hour for computer repairs... PLUS travel and parts, you will be guarenteed to never have a free-loader take advantage of you again. The conversation goes somethin like this:

Them: I'm having this problem with my PC
You: I charge (price) an hour for diagnostic plus parts, minimum charge is 2 hours
Them: THAT'S MORE THAN GEEK SQUAD CHARGES !!!! I'll could just take it there.
You: OK. How about them Mets ?

Yup I do that.. $45 and hr plus parts..

And I do get the family pimping me out to fix shit.. Man I hate that.. Also the can you fix it over the phone shit..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I handle those folks by telling them they have a Windows problem, and I'm not a Windows guy.  If they want me to help them, they need to install Linux.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I handle those folks by telling them they have a Windows problem, and I'm not a Windows guy.  If they want me to help them, they need to install Linux.

I should become a Mac guy... and change all teh pc's here to macs..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]
$45/hour!?!?!

Damn that's cheap.  Around here guys charge $65-80 per hour.

I have a minor in comp. science and I really shoulda done that instead of law enforcement
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm quite happy to look at personal PCs here at work. It's technically part of my job, though it's "as time allows" on my priority list. I've got a Stinkpad here running the XP SP2 install at the moment, in fact. Rarely does a week go by that I don't see a personal machine or two, usually laptops.

All we have here are Dells, running a heavily locked-down version of Windows XP. Thus, the number and nature of problems from those machines is limited. With personal machines, I see all manner of new and interesting problems, which is a nice change.

-Mark
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You also need to be careful about "family" volunteering you for work.

My wife used to do this to me a lot with my Bobcat. It's all well and good to be nice and helpful until the repair/maintenance bills start coming in. A few weekends ago, I was supposed to go help/do a small project. I went out, and my trailer had two flat tires (trailer almost never gets used). The trailer needs new tires anyway, I'd lay even money that even if I re-inflated them, they might not get me there and back. I told my wife that I need new tires before that trailer gets used again, and I wasn't about to spend my day and a couple hundred dollars to get a trailer roadworthy to go over to a friend's house for 30 minutes of Bobcat work. That's just nonsensical. I'll redo the trailer (needs new brakes, too) eventually, but it's a real low priority, because everything I use the Bobcat for is on my property. I'll do it at my convenience, based on my needs. I'm not going to spend that kind of time and money just to have a nice trailer on standby in case my wife finds more volunteer work for my weekends.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#15]
stick it in her processor and post pics?
---
In the old days I charged $100 an hr for junk work.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe a different career would make you happier? Being the computer guy is the biggest pain, I'm sure. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Maybe a different career would make you happier? Being the computer guy is the biggest pain, I'm sure.

No.. running a gunbusiness sucked even worse.. I dont mind working on the company systems.. its the users wanting something for nothing thats gripes me..

and Ill SSIHHAPP (stuffswissinherheatsinkandpostpics)
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Maybe a different career would make you happier? Being the computer guy is the biggest pain, I'm sure.

It is x10000.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Start charging them $75 base fee.  Then it will make you feel all warm inside. hes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I get it all the time.  Some people understand, and ask up front what it'll cost.  Others just expect me to fix their stuff for free.  

It's not that I mind helping, but if you're not careful you'll send your entire day, EVERY day, fixing people's computers for free.

My favorite is when someone says "It's giving me some error message, can't remember what it says or when it shows up.  What do you think is wrong with it?"  My runner-up favorite is when somebody has an ancient POS that barely runs Windows 95 and wants to know what they need to do to get it to run Photoshop or Vista.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#21]
height=8
My runner-up favorite is when somebody has an ancient POS that barely runs Windows 95 and wants to know what they need to do to get it to run Photoshop or Vista.

Hehe.  I've heard that one, and I'm not even a computer expert.  The worst couple weeks of my life was when my computer-illiterate dad bought a computer.  He was calling me twice a day asking questions, to which I had no idea what the answers were.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey,

I keep getting these pop up for voluptuous womenz, etc......how can I prevent this in the future?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Here at the station I am always being asked to help with a home biz logo.... touch up a photograph.... or kick out a "quick drawing"  or animation for folks. I dont let it get to me. If its a small job, I like to help out people that need it (thats just me) If its a big time consuming job, I explain that it is something I would need to handle via my freelance biz and quote them a nice low price. The "bro deals" I have given co-workers has often brought me in additional work that I charge "rate" on. Its just what happens when ya do something the average joe cant. Dont let it get to ya.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hey,

I keep getting these pop up for voluptuous womenz, etc......how can I prevent get more of this in the future?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top