Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2001 5:23:50 AM EDT
I am going to be going on a ride-along with the local police department.  I have a valid concealed weapons permit.

as I see it, my options are:

1) don't carry
2) carrry and don't tell anyone I am.
3) ask the officer I will be riding with if it would bother him/her if I carried.

The one problem I see is that if a call is to a location that prohibits me from carrying (school, government building, etc.)  There is no restriciton on bars in CO, just can't be intoxicated.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask before your appointment re carrying a concealed firearm; they wouldn't appreciate a surprise like that.
Also, ask if you can wear a vest during the ride-along.  It wouldn't be a bad idea.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#2]
As an LEO myself I would definitely go with #3
Some cops are actually cool (like me) and don't mind that and some just plain aren't.

#2 is a bad idea, what if the LEO finds out that you are carrying and he's a really shakey guy?

#1 could be the safest route. MOST tours of duty are boring and all you see is paperwork.
Sometimes, you'll have a wild and crazy day though.

One thing to consider, are they going to provide you with ballistic armor?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/GC/Sk/tU/zZ10837.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I hadn't thought about the vest.  I live in a small town and rarely does anything exciting happen.  I am guessing nothing exciting will happen.  I guess if I am not worried enough to wear a vest, I shouldn't feel the need to carry.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Definitely #3.

Most Department's have a policy against riders (who are not comissioned officers) carrying, because if you had to use it, there would be lots of civil liability. Having said that, I personally don't have a problem with it, and I always give the rider a key to the car, show them how to get the shotgun out of the rack, and offer a vest.

A rider who decided to carry a weapon without telling me would have a very short ride.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#8]
jvic, if you want to be invited to ride along again, you should not even ask that question.

Leave your concealed carry weapon at home and enjoy the ride.

DaMan

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]
You are not there in a police capacity, so I'd leave the gun at home.  If this officer [i]really[/i] needs backup he'll hand you the patrol gun (shotgun or rifle) and let you go at it.  That is horribly unlikely.  There is a liability concern for police departments.  If an officer shoots a criminal for even the most obvious reasons the department and the officer will be hauled into a civil lawsuit.  Just imagine the kind of shit the department would get if a [i]civilian[/i] shot a perp on a ride along.

Leave the gun at home.  DO NOT ask to carry a weapon.

"Do what you will,
just don't think 'ride along' means you're a cop now."
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all.  I have decided not to carry or ask.  Originally my thinking was that I carry everywhere else, why not during this.  And I even thought of all times, this would be when I would need it.  But in fact, this may be the time when I need it least.  I did not consider the department being responsible for my actions.  Good point...

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Usually I would say Carry, carry everywhere, at every time.  But in this case, you need to let the LEO you are riding with know your plans and give him(her) the option to over ride you.

The last thing the LEO needs if things get exciting is to think that you may be trying to get in on the action.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
rg00red gave you good advice and I strongly suggest you take it.  I assume you are thinking about trying to get a job with this department in the future. The purpose of a ride along is for you to learn a little about what the job is really like, not to have you as backup. In my experience doing either of the two would indicate lack of good judgement and common sense. I further suggest you adopt a yes sir/no sir, eyes open/mouth shut, positive kind of attitude, if you get my drift.

My $.02  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I further suggest you adopt a yes sir/no sir, eyes open/mouth shut, positive kind of attitude, if you get my drift.

My $.02  
View Quote

I do and agree...thanks...
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I would say don't carry, you could throughly screw up an apprehension (lawyers) if something happened.  You would be suprised what a lawyer will do to get a client turned loose.  
 For Example, "So you the officer made the apprehension with a civilian ride-along and the civilian was carrying a sidearm?"
OFFICER:"YES Sir."
LAWYER:"Does your department allow this kind of thing to occur?"
OFFICER:"I don't know."
LAWYER:"Do you always not know what the rules are?" <---Doubt created result clients get set free on technicality.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I was allowed to carry during several ride a-longs but only because I knew the officers. As a rule it's not a good idea. Officers with a rider are not allowed to go into a full pursuit with a rider in the car because of liability. Even though you signed a waiver if you get killed I'm sure there would be legal repercussions. The only thing I could see that might happen is a traffic stop gone wrong and the driver shoots the LEO or a domestic violence gets out of hand....

John
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]
why carry? thats what the police are for. enjoy the ride.

[beer]

Quoted:
I am going to be going on a ride-along with the local police department.  I have a valid concealed weapons permit.

as I see it, my options are:

1) don't carry
2) carrry and don't tell anyone I am.
3) ask the officer I will be riding with if it would bother him/her if I carried.

The one problem I see is that if a call is to a location that prohibits me from carrying (school, government building, etc.)  There is no restriciton on bars in CO, just can't be intoxicated.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have done many rides with several officers in the local department.  It is against department policy for riders to carry.  One of the officers told me I could carry if I wanted to, but he also told me to not use it unless my life was in danger, and he wasn't able to intervene.  I've never even asked the other officers, and I never carry except with the noted exception.  One of the other officers made sure I knew where the AR, 12 guage, and .380 were.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I say show up in a full tac gear.

Body armor
Flight Suit
Tac vest with CamelBack
Bacalava
Kevlar helmet
AR15
Dropleg holster with your sidearm
Boots

Shake the officers hand and say "Sit back and relax rookie, I'm drivin."

They like that when you take charge.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Leave your gun at home.   Bring some doughnuts.
I'm a Krispy Kream man myself
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#20]
When my dad was young he went on a ride along with the local PD. They responded to a bad situation and the officer handed him the shotgun.

Ask first about your sidearm. If the SHTF they will probably hand you something. Most likely you'll get to watch some trafic violations, and maybe a domestic situation.

Relax, Sit back, have fun.

Guncrazy223
-----------------------------------------
Some people are only alive because its illegal to kill them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I say show up in a full tac gear.

Body armor
Flight Suit
Tac vest with CamelBack
Bacalava
Kevlar helmet
AR15
Dropleg holster with your sidearm
Boots

Shake the officers hand and say "Sit back and relax rookie, I'm drivin."

They like that when you take charge.
View Quote

LOL! Good thinking!  That's the best advice yet!

Seriously, thanks to all who responded...

(edited because I don't know how to spell "thanks")
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top