Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 12:56:21 AM EDT
Every time I think about going to a concert, I have to ask myself if it is really worth the hassle.

Fork over $10 per ticket to Ticketmaster just for the priviledge of buying the damned tickets.  Then pay $40-100 for nosebleed seats.  Then $10-20 for parking.  Then $30 for a fucking cheap t-shirt.

Stand there for 90 minutes experiencing horrible acoustics and drunken pot heads.  Then narrowly avoid 3 fights while exiting the place because some shitheads just don't know how to hold their booze.  Get routed through the worst parts of the city by the PD, all the while keeping one hand on your gun while keeping an eye on those suspicioius looking people standing there looking at you.

I've been to quite a few concerts.  As the ticket prices keep increasing, I find myself wondering if it is worth it.  The sound quality sucks and you have to deal with people who have no respect for your personal space.

Was thinking of going to Asheville Saturday night to catch Nickel Creek and Bela Fleck, but I just can't bring myself to spend the $$ for tix and gas just for two hours of 'entertainment'.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
no, I have not been to a concert in the last 8 years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand exactly how you feel. I'm very selective about the concerts I go to and the venues where I see them. There is a very good outdoor venue near where I live. You can sit on the lawn on a warm summer evening with plenty of space and hear a great show. Of course, the performers I prefer to see are the acts that I grew up with in the 70's and 80's and some of the more tenured country performers.

I don't really keep up with current pop performers other than a select few.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The old farts (Aerosmith, Van Halen, Stones) are the bad ones.  I paid $150 each for barely decent Aerosmith tickets last year.

I guess I go to concerts for the wrong reasons.  I want to hear the music, not 'experience' the band.

I'm one of those weird people you see that just sit or stand there.  I don't get the whole clapping/cheering/dancing thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
You need a better venue.

Come see a concert at Red Rocks. Awesome acoustics. Gorgeous scenery. Perfection.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
BMG was worth every penny.  Dont pay for parking and sure dont buy "T-shirts".

Boston was worth it too.  
The only concert that wasnt really worth going to in my opinion was the Buckcherry/Crossfade/3 Days Grace concert I went to.  Buck and Crossfade sucked the donkeys caca.  3DG was great though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You need a better venue.

I've been all over the south.  Everything sucks.

Wife tried to get me to go Sat. night, but I just can't bring myself to spend money on shit like that anymore.  Not when I can buy the album for $10 on iTunes and hear it without having some shithead scream in my ears.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy better seats.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Buy better seats.

.......not worth it..........
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:38:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buy better seats.

I go to concerts for the experience. OH! You edited your reply!

I have, and do consider the venue, and always 'now' choose one that has good acoustics. I learned that after a Rolling Stone fiasco at Candlestick Park.

I prefer smaller venues, and get the best seats possible. If you are going to go, do it right.

eta: and do I think a mass produced 'concert' is worth it...then No. Not at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If your going to the Civic Center (in Asheville) then it's not too bad.  But if your going to the concert at the Orange Peel then you will be in for a treat.  No smoking, no close-by parking but it is in a decent hood.  My suggestion is to get there early and eat at one of the places up the street, then walk down to the show.  If your into microbrews the you need to go Barleys... 42 on tap and who knows how many in a bottle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
heck yes they are.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buy better seats.

you asked the question, but it looks like you already made up your mind by that statement. live concerts are very much worth seeing. aslong as its a band you enjoy. its very much worth it.

you mentioned sound quality? every concert ive been to outdoors and indoors have been friggin' awesome.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
To me, not really worth it--too damn expensive, but then again you are talking to the guy who feels watching pro sports is a too damn expensive aswell.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope, Rather download buy the album.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I've found the standard slipping in the last few concerts i've been to. Maybe i'm an old fart now

Slayer 95 FTW
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#16]
i go to concert pretty frequently
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#17]
If the place is so big that you can't throw a bottle from one side to the other, then it is too big and the concert will suck.

If the total cost of the tickets is greater than the cost of a new CD, then it is too expensive.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends on who you see and where you see them at, and how much it costs.

But, I've never gone to a concert I regretted.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top