Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 9:51:34 PM EDT
You have to be pretty physically fit for both and they both have the Job of calling in airstrikes. I know that one of the main differences is that TACPs work Primarily with the Army, but what else is different between the two?

And do we have any ETACs or Combat Controllers here on ARFCOM? If so, what do/did you think of it? Like or Dislike? Any combat and non-combat stories that you want to share?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Info here and here.  Yes we have at least one ETAC/TACP on this board, not sure about CCTs.  Might want to ask over in HoH.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Info here and here.  Yes we have at least one ETAC/TACP on this board, not sure about CCTs.  Might want to ask over in HoH.  

Thanks for the links.

I feel that alot of people don't know what these guys do... or that they even exist for the matter.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the links.

I feel that alot of people don't know what these guys do... or that they even exist for the matter.

You're right, and they like it that way.  Quiet professionals.    I think they are (especially CCT) about the coolest mofos in the entire .mil, but I haven't worked directly with them.  I have worked with PJs, but they are more about saving lives than taking them, still bad asses though.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Know two guys that were ccts much respect for both. These guys are bad asses. One i got to be pretty good friends with he will tell me some stories, He was back in Vietnam. Other one i don't as well but really cool guy and someone i wouldn't f@#k with.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
We had some assigned to our TOC, and they had some pretty sweet equipment for comms and were good guys to work with.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I just had to be in the same squadron as those CCT's.  There at Medina LTA, they would be up at 430 running and carrying telephone poles and boats and crap while I slept in till 0600 and got to go study in an air-conditioned building.

The class going through when I was there at Medina was in trouble because they stopped in at the Burger king on Lackland and set the boat down out front and one of the cadre caught them.  That and I had to deal with the implications of the CCT and the PJ's having strippers in the day room in the next building over.  The squadron was on lockdown for a good number of weeks from that issue.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just had to be in the same squadron as those CCT's.  There at Medina LTA, they would be up at 430 running and carrying telephone poles and boats and crap while I slept in till 0600 and got to go study in an air-conditioned building.

The class going through when I was there at Medina was in trouble because they stopped in at the Burger king on Lackland and set the boat down out front and one of the cadre caught them.  That and I had to deal with the implications of the CCT and the PJ's having strippers in the day room in the next building over. The squadron was on lockdown for a good number of weeks from that issue.  

They seem to know how to Party.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, word was that the Capt. showed up that evening and caught them all in coitus interruptus.  That was a couple weeks before I showed up but I know I got to field day the barracks every weekend for a while because of it.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice to see some acknowledgement for Chair Force troops

Those boys do some damned important work and should get more recognition than they do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah, word was that the Capt. showed up that evening and caught them all in coitus interruptus.  That was a couple weeks before I showed up but I know I got to field day the barracks every weekend for a while because of it.  

Were you Navy / Marine Corps before you got "reblued"?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]
umm, I wasn't reblued, I was pipeline Airforce.  The EOD folks were in the same squadron as the CCT, PJ's, TACP, and the SERE instructors.  Everyone was lumped in to the same squadron there in the asscrack of the Lackland Training Annex in the same two buildings.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were you Navy / Marine Corps before you got "reblued"?

What gave it away?    Should he have said "I got to GI Party the dorm every weekend for a while because of it." For some reason I still think he is a non-zoomie but I could be wrong.  

ETA:  Memory is one of the first things to go.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What gave it away?    Should he have said "I got to GI Party the dorm every weekend for a while because of it." For some reason I still think he is a non-zoomie but I could be wrong.  

ETA:  Memory is one of the first things to go.  

Eh, you're sorta right, I spent 4 years in high school as Navy JROTC.  I always think of things in terms of a deck, bulkhead, cover, etc... though I was Air Force the length of my service.  

ETA:  Those CCT's and TACP's are all badass and the TACP's are undergoing a TACP modernization program aimed to upgrade the communications systems they are utilizing and should provide cutting-edge solutions to help them perform their very important jobs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Then there's fucked-up people like me. . .

ex-ET2, USN

Now SSgt. 2E171 (Mostly wideband, though)
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top