Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 8:29:58 PM EDT
So I'll start this off with background info first.

I'm 18 as of the 21st of last month.

I have a medical condition called Dysautonomia (POTS is a subtype, I have a broader range of it, so more symptoms. Basicly, anything and everything (not EVERYthing) your body does on it's own, doesn' work right to varrying degrees.

Right now I'm trying to manage all my symptoms and on a bunch of different med's to try to get me as close to "better" as I can get and as stable as possible.

This condition can be (and is) unpredictable. You don't know what kind of day it is going to be when you wake up.

I'd really, really, really, like to work. It would give me something to do, instead of being stuck in my room on the computer most of the time .

I'm looking for short hours. Four or so. Nothing to overwhelm me at first.

I'm also relativly new to shooting, so it would be a good learning experience for me I think.

I'm aware of customers that might be stupid or what have you, I've read the threads. I think I can manage that, and if something starts to get over my head I can just one of the other guys.

So, what is Arfcom's opinion? Do you guys think this would be alright for me? My thinking is that I could be sitting or leaning on a counter or something most of the time, and I wouldn't really be running around too much.

In between now and whenever I get better (this is relative here) enough more or less to manage working a few hours a few days a week, I might end up on disability . I kind of feel bad about that, but the truth is, I can't really work, and if I could, doing to much would most likely make me sicker, which isn't good.

So what do you think? This all depends on if the store would even hire me for part time, or even needs the help at all.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Give it a try, whats the worst that could happen..

A) they say no and dont hire you
B) you dont like it and quit

Its worth giving it a try.

That's true.

Quoted:
Well when the new gunstore in town opened up, I inquired as to possible employment & was told I had to be 21. I'm 19 for now.

You may not even be eligible.

That's what I was wondering too. What was the age requierment. I could possibly just help out there, and not do the actual gun sale. Maybe. We'll see though. This is kind of a ways out before it would happen.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Try applying to a couple of businesses that have job openings. Don't limit yourself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for it! Best of luck with the medical condition, sounds like a real rough ticket.

You have to know a lot to do a good job. But don't let that stop you, cause 95% of gun store employees don't know anything either. At least you have the right attitude, which is worth a ton.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
why not

I did it for 10 years and I'm probably about as fucked up as you health wise  
PM me if you wanna discuss anything specific

There is not a actual law however most shops will not hire you unless you are 21
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend worked part-time at a gun store. He got first dibbs on all the good used guns that came in. He owed the store more money than he made each week.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try applying to a couple of businesses that have job openings. Don't limit yourself.

See that's the thing. There's not too many places that I can see that I would enjoy to some degree working at. That and I don't know of many job types that would be good for me to do.

Quoted:
Go for it! Best of luck with the medical condition, sounds like a real rough ticket.

You have to know a lot to do a good job. But don't let that stop you, cause 95% of gun store employees don't know anything either. At least you have the right attitude, which is worth a ton.

Thanks, it really is.

That's where the learning part comes in. They can teach me, Arfcom can, I can research, etc. I like the idea so I can learn more about shooting and all. And from the horror stories I've heard on here, I tottaly believe you on that. And thanks, it's something I really want to do, but I have to be able to do it before I can actualy do it.

Quoted:
why not

I did it for 10 years and I'm probably about as fucked up as you health wise  
PM me if you wanna discuss anything specific

There is not a actual law however most shops will not hire you unless you are 21

Ha, that all depends . Watcha got? Ha. But you can PM me if you'd like and just tell me about it in general. That would be cool.

And that really sucks about that damn 21 thing. Bah.

Quoted:
My friend worked part-time at a gun store. He got first dibbs on all the good used guns that came in. He owed the store more money than he made each week.  

Heh, I know. Most of the money would just go right back to the store .
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
See that's the thing. There's not too many places that I can see that I would enjoy to some degree working at. That and I don't know of many job types that would be good for me to do.

That's okay. Try it. You may love a job you didn't even think of. If you don't like it, quit. Thousands of people have quit a job after one day... including me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's okay. Try it. You may love a job you didn't even think of. If you don't like it, quit. Thousands of people have quit a job after one day... including me.

Well right now I don't drive, so it would be my mom (doesn't work right now, she's staying at home taking care of me) taking me to work and back. So it can't be anything far. 10-15 minutes at the most. 15 I think is pushing it. And there really isn't a whole lot that I can think of in the area. This is a few months out so I got time to find something. I highly doubt I would be able to have a job within the year. Just doesn't seem possible right now. But we'll see.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
why not.
I'm not sure what you have but I know a really nice guy with diasabilities that works the gun counter at the cabelas I worked at
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why not.
I'm not sure what you have but I know a really nice guy with diasabilities that works the gun counter at the cabelas I worked at

It's in red up at the top. It's a link to a site and a list of symptoms. The site also explains it. Basicly anything your body does on it's on, doesn't work right. It's very random and unpredictable sometimes, so that's what makes things harder. It's a day by day thing. Now say if this shop would hire me for part time help, and I could come in on the days I'm doing good and for however long I'm able to do that would be great. Havn't been to the shop before so I'll have to check it out sometime and maybe talk to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top