Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2007 7:34:32 PM EDT
...and traveled through time?  Was that speed relative to the world around it, or the speed registered by the speedometer?

Would it have been able to travel through time if on a giant treadmill - one designed to travel the same speed as the wheels?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The length of the DeLorean is 168 inches (14 feet.) Travelling at 88 miles per hour, the opening of the temporal displacement "door" must remain open for at least 11/100ths of a second to allow the entire length of the DeLorean to pass through the "door." (That's also pretty instantaneous.) This may be the reason that the DeLorean needs to reach at least 88 miles per hour. A speed less than that wouldn't be fast enough to allow the entire length of the DeLorean to pass through. Doc probably has that safeguard built in which doesn't allow temporal displacement to occur until it reaches the safe 88mph speed. (Again, I'm not taking into account the extended length that was added to the DeLorean with the addition of the exhaust vents in the back. But I'm sure the opening would need to stay open for a few thousandths of a second more to allow the vents to clear the "door.")

if on a treadmill door would open but you would not go through???

Depends on the alingment rods in the flux capacitor.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]

This is what makes time travel possible!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What if it reached 88 mph while trying to figure out if .9 = 1 from the back of a moving train?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Doc mentions that the DeLorean was more desirable because of its stainless steel exterior helping out with time travel somehow. I can't imagine how, since a regular car would be just as conductive under the paint, and the stainless steel of a DeLorean is on top of fiberglass panels.

Interestingly enough, Houston has a DeLorean factory up and running. They take old DeLoreans, strip them to the frame, and rebuild them from the ground up. They have brighter headlights, more powerful engines (and speedometers that go to 140 mph and mean it), better brakes, better electrical and hydraulic systems, better suspensions, new leather interiors, and you can add custom options like GPS navigation, an iPod jack, etc.

I've always wanted a DeLorean, especially an '81 model with the seperate door for the gas tank (meaning you don't have to open the trunk/hood to access it like the '82 and '83 models). Unfortunately, the old DeLoreans go for between $8,000 and $12,000 depending on condition (way out of my price range), and the remanufactured ones cost $45,000.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What if it reached 88 mph while trying to figure out if .9 = 1 from the back of a moving train?

Cant do that. It makes your fake plants look like they need water
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cant do that. It makes your fake plants look like they need water

My plants divided by zero.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Better question, how did they get a Delorean to 88 mph?

V8
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Then you're going to see some serious shit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I love this site.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doc mentions that the DeLorean was more desirable because of its stainless steel exterior helping out with time travel somehow. I can't imagine how, since a regular car would be just as conductive under the paint, and the stainless steel of a DeLorean is on top of fiberglass panels.

Interestingly enough, Houston has a DeLorean factory up and running. They take old DeLoreans, strip them to the frame, and rebuild them from the ground up. They have brighter headlights, more powerful engines (and speedometers that go to 140 mph and mean it), better brakes, better electrical and hydraulic systems, better suspensions, new leather interiors, and you can add custom options like GPS navigation, an iPod jack, etc.

I've always wanted a DeLorean, especially an '81 model with the seperate door for the gas tank (meaning you don't have to open the trunk/hood to access it like the '82 and '83 models). Unfortunately, the old DeLoreans go for between $8,000 and $12,000 depending on condition (way out of my price range), and the remanufactured ones cost $45,000.

Yes DMC has been around for a while with those parts. I think they still have a nice online factory tour you can take. The gas flap, I dont like it. ANd  A Delorean is going to be my next vehicle...oh yes it will. Been waiting 10 years. I want the hood w/ lines only and no flap.

You can always hold the gas pump but some dont and if that thing flops out BAM right onto your hood and you get dents Then again, why let go?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I love this site.

This thread is hilarious!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The length of the DeLorean is 168 inches (14 feet.) Travelling at 88 miles per hour, the opening of the temporal displacement "door" must remain open for at least 11/100ths of a second to allow the entire length of the DeLorean to pass through the "door." (That's also pretty instantaneous.) This may be the reason that the DeLorean needs to reach at least 88 miles per hour. A speed less than that wouldn't be fast enough to allow the entire length of the DeLorean to pass through. Doc probably has that safeguard built in which doesn't allow temporal displacement to occur until it reaches the safe 88mph speed. (Again, I'm not taking into account the extended length that was added to the DeLorean with the addition of the exhaust vents in the back. But I'm sure the opening would need to stay open for a few thousandths of a second more to allow the vents to clear the "door.")

if on a treadmill door would open but you would not go through???

That's a perfect explanation!

ETA: damn, post 223 waisted on that...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

V8

They were powered by a Peugeot V6.

I thought AK's never jammed.

The original car may be powered by a v6, but listen to the car in the movie.  It sounds like it has a v8 in it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

V8

The original car may be powered by a v6, but listen to the car in the movie.  It sounds like it has a v8 in it.

also in the movie, it went through time How can this be!?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag for when I'm awake.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
Had Fred been driving, it coulda done all that at 87 mph. Had

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

V8

space time continuum, duh
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

V8

Flux Capacitor - this has already been covered.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting theory - then imagine if the trigger was knocked off calibration, and only part making it through?

You'd have Halo 3. After the credits.

Damn...you beat me to it!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#21]
So 10 years and waiting. Is it against policy to ask for donations? Man I want one of these so bad it hurts. Oh well I shall wait longer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What if it was on a treadmill.

next time read the WHOLE thread
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What if it was on a treadmill.

next time read the WHOLE thread

Hell, I'd settle for the first post.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

V8

Lol, you lend too much credance to movie sound effects
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#25]
The car in the movie had another engine dubbed over it. Except for the props (flux capacitor, etc.), the DeLorean in the movie was stock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#26]
What if they ran the Delorean at 88 MPH into a loaf of bread?  Would that stop it or would it still travel through time?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What if they ran the Delorean at 88 MPH into a loaf of bread?  Would that stop it or would it still travel through time?

Dude, did you miss the part where Marty DROVE THROUGH A MOVIE SCREEN?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Dude, did you miss the part where Marty DROVE THROUGH A MOVIE SCREEN?

Your ARFCOM history is weak.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Do any of you guys know why, specifically it is 88mph.

Dr. Hikida and New Jersey know.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

travel through time if on a giant treadmill

I venture to say, anything is possible....

:}

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top