Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 7:34:05 PM EDT
Rented a Springfield 1911 Government to try and see how I shoot with the 1911 platform. I didn't shoot very well with my dad's Glock 21 so I had to try something different. My GF and I went. Can we get some pointers on our shooting? BTW, she tends to shoot pistol better than me.
Targets were 10 yards away, I used 100 rounds, she used 50.

[Guess how much a box of .45 was? $25!!! I had to buy one because of the ammo policy on the rentals but we snuck in the 3 boxes from Wal-Mart, $12 a box. ]

MINE:

HERS:
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Without really watching you shoot, it would just be an educated guess based on your target.  At 10 yards, your shots seem low, it could be that you are trying to see where your shots are hitting as you are shooting.  You end up dropping your rounds when you lower your pistol to see the target.  Concentrate on your front sight and slowly squeeze the trigger.  

Your girlfriends target looks like she is probably heeling.  She might be 'pushing' into the gun trying to anticipate the recoil and ends up pushing the gun up with the heel of her palm.

Dryfiring would help.  I also like those 22LR kits for working out kinks in my shooting habits.  I wish they would make one for my HK.

Check out this link to target analysis.
www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Without really watching you shoot, it would just be an educated guess based on your target.  At 10 yards, your shots seem low, it could be that you are trying to see where your shots are hitting as you are shooting.  You end up dropping your rounds when you lower your pistol to see the target.  Concentrate on your front sight and slowly squeeze the trigger.  

Your girlfriends target looks like she is probably heeling.  She might be 'pushing' into the gun trying to anticipate the recoil and ends up pushing the gun up with the heel of her palm.

Dryfiring would help.  I also like those 22LR kits for working out kinks in my shooting habits.  I wish they would make one for my HK.

Could possibly be poor concentration with me. With her, she said she started shooting center when she held tighter. I also noticed her wrists breaking loose too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My first reaction is keep shooting.  Practice, practice, practice.  Second, what is your goal?  Are you just target shooting for fun or self-defense?  If self-defense, looks life you're both hitting center mass at 10 yards, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
30 Feet?  I think my living room is 30 feet long.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Could also be trigger control problem, anticipating the shot. Squeeze the trigger until it breaks, nice and smooth. Each shot should scare you.

As far as shots being HIGH you're trying to score your target while you shoot. My analysis differs from his lol. But like they said the best thing is practice.

Also 2 big things to remember:

Sight picture (front sight sharp and clear)
Trigger control (squeeze until it breaks)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My first reaction is keep shooting.  Practice, practice, practice.  Second, what is your goal?  Are you just target shooting for fun or self-defense?  If self-defense, looks life you're both hitting center mass at 10 yards, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Both. I'm the kind of person that wants to be proficient at anything I do.

If it worked better in my situation (not many nearby places to shoot around here), I'd shoot every week. My AR's collecting dust, hasn't been used in almost 6 months, and that's what I use exclusively
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it worked better in my situation (not many nearby places to shoot around here), I'd shoot every week. My AR's collecting dust, hasn't been used in almost 6 months, and that's what I use exclusively

I'd say that's very proficient. You're not gonna keep a 1/2" group with a pistol. Both those targets looked admirable.

ETA: Your girlfriend is also admirable (please don't hit me)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Front Sight, Trigger Press, Follow Through.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say that's very proficient. You're not gonna keep a 1/2" group with a pistol. Both those targets looked admirable.

ETA: Your girlfriend is also admirable (please don't hit me)

Is it? Thanks! I'm used to rifle groups since I hardly get any pistol action, so it's a bit weird to me. Maybe I'm trying to get Jack Bauer accuracy?

Lol, I'll let her know and she'll decide your fate Yeah, I'm proud of her shooting. Her first time on a .45 too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Next time, rent a .22 ! Not as much macho bang action, but much easier to learn good trigger control with, it won't induce a flinch like a .45, and it will put a much smaller dent in your wallet, allowing you and your bird to practice a lot more. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Anticipating the shot, wanting to see where you hit, uneven trigger pressure shot to shot....

1. The shot should be a suprise as you should be pressing on the trigger so slowly you dont know when the gun is going to go off.

2. Same sight picture each time.

3. Dont anticipate the shot. If you feel you are take a deep breath and try again.

4. Do some work with a lighter caliber like a 22LR to practice technique with. I bought a sig mosquito specifically for this purpose. Your 25 a box of .45's will buy me over a thousand 22LR rounds...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched that Todd Jarrett training video link. Is my stance incorrect? My body is at a 45 degree angle as opposed to the way Todd Jarrett stands. My right bicep is at my cheek, left foot forward.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Have any more pics of the girlfriend? I need to see her stance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]
My take on it is you were getting fatigued.  Were the first shots w/ the big hole around the black?  And then the lower more spread out grouping later?  This would make sense as it is saying that your arms were dropping.

Both you and your girl shot COM for the most part.  Honestly I'd buy a .22 pistol and practice w/ it so it's cheap.

Pistol shooting takes a lot more practice IMO to be efficient than rifle shooting.  Keep it up.

Nice looking gal too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top