Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 6:26:36 PM EDT
So the wife has OK'd me on getting a 1911. I have narrowed it down to a few choices and want you to help me decide what one to get. Please, do not suggest any other models or bands. Any personal background on the above choices would really help me!
Thanks!

Choice 1: S&W 1911 PD Gunsite

Choice 2: S&W 1911 PD Rail

Choice 3: SIG Nitrolon Rail

Choice 4: SIG XO
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP!!

ETA: I'm not helping you with those choices...ewww...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IBTP!!

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Which brands you considering Killswitch?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
SIG P220, way better than most 1911's under 2k.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a poll coming, right?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
poll? que?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, my poll-fu is slow tonight.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Springfield.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sorry, my poll-fu is slow tonight.

Don't worry, some of us can't seem to read the rules of the initial post...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't know about the smith but have read some bad stuff about those sigs...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
[ 3 ]  S&W Model SW1911PD Tactical
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump! Hit teh pole please!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bump! Hit teh pole please!

you might need to add the "I like Pie" option.  I cant vote with these.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
where is the Wilson option?

See the new, improved, ribbed for your pleasure thread.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRAP!!

I don't like SIG's in the least bit. I don't like the grip, I don't like the trigger.

I like 1911's and Glocks. I instantly adapt to either grip, and there's no arguing with a nice 3 pound, short, crisp pull of a 1911.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRAP!!

I don't like SIG's in the least bit. I don't like the grip, I don't like the trigger.

I like 1911's and Glocks. I instantly adapt to either grip, and there's no arguing with a nice 3 pound, short, crisp pull of a 1911.

SIG has a single action 220 now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRAP!!

SIG has a single action 220 now.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are great guns. Accurate, reliable, etc. I just don't mesh well with them. Just didn't like them when I shot them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sorry...Unable to comply.

All choices are safe-queens. I wouldn't trust my life to ANY of them.

Get a Springer or Colt.

Wait, wait, wait -

You think a S&W PD is a safe queen but a Colt is a good street gun?

Did they spray this place while I was gone or something?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry...Unable to comply.

All choices are safe-queens. I wouldn't trust my life to ANY of them.

Get a Springer or Colt.

Wait, wait, wait -

You think a S&W PD is a safe queen but a Colt is a good street gun?

Did they spray this place while I was gone or something?

A "Colt or nothing" person.

They're funny.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, I've owned a bunch of 1911'a and now own two, both of which work flawlessly.  The rest were spotty in performance, had parts break, etc.  ALL 1911'a are semi-custom in that they need some fitting of some parts to work well as well as having a certain percentage of parts fall within certain tolerances.  Nature of the beast.  Off the shelf, some will run flawlessly and some will never run right.  Pick a design and weight class you like and commit to it.  If you go with an alloy frame, I like SA's because they have the barrel ramp.  Otherwise, the aluminum frame will get gouged up and eventually become a problem.  If you shoot it a lot.  If you are looking for a house gun the light rail, while sacrilage to some, is a great idea.

Since you are looking at some pretty pricey 1911's, I'd go for a semi-custom from a smaller shop who will be willing to really police the QC on your pistol.  Someone mentioned Nighthawk and those look nice.  Plenty of other small shops who do nice work as well and are really interested in making satisfied customers.  I would insist on all forged and machined parts since the original design was built around that idea.

Lots of checkering will chew your hands up unless it is pretty fine.  Flattened checking is better or serrations.  Also, a lot if "improvements" like guide rods and so forth are really just a hassle.  The original design worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
OK, I've owned a bunch of 1911'a and now own two, both of which work flawlessly.  The rest were spotty in performance, had parts break, etc.  ALL 1911'a are semi-custom in that they need some fitting of some parts to work well as well as having a certain percentage of parts fall within certain tolerances.  Nature of the beast.  Off the shelf, some will run flawlessly and some will never run right.  Pick a design and weight class you like and commit to it.  If you go with an alloy frame, I like SA's because they have the barrel ramp.  Otherwise, the aluminum frame will get gouged up and eventually become a problem.  If you shoot it a lot.  If you are looking for a house gun the light rail, while sacrilage to some, is a great idea.

Since you are looking at some pretty pricey 1911's, I'd go for a semi-custom from a smaller shop who will be willing to really police the QC on your pistol.  Someone mentioned Nighthawk and those look nice.  Plenty of other small shops who do nice work as well and are really interested in making satisfied customers.  I would insist on all forged and machined parts since the original design was built around that idea.

Lots of checkering will chew your hands up unless it is pretty fine.  Flattened checking is better or serrations.  Also, a lot if "improvements" like guide rods and so forth are really just a hassle.  The original design worked fine.

I disagree. I see tons of Les Baer's, Wilsons, and Nighthawks at matches. More often than not, they are the guns having malfunctions because they are so tight. With no slop at all, a small amount of friction causing gunk causes the gun to malfunction.

My vote goes to the Springfield. It's good overall gun from a good company, and I don't think the OP wants to spend 2 grand.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Jeez...I didn't think I'd get flamed this hard.

You think this is being flamed?  Jeez, try starting a thread about going to a furry convention and see what happens!

Why did you narrow your choices down to S&W and Sig?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jeez...I didn't think I'd get flamed this hard.

You think this is being flamed?  Jeez, try starting a thread about going to a furry convention and see what happens!

Why did you narrow your choices down to S&W and Sig?

They felt the best to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Please be sure to hit my other thread on the subject.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=627604
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. I see tons of Les Baer's, Wilsons, and Nighthawks at matches. More often than not, they are the guns having malfunctions because they are so tight. With no slop at all, a small amount of friction causing gunk causes the gun to malfunction.

My vote goes to the Springfield. It's good overall gun from a good company, and I don't think the OP wants to spend 2 grand.

Hmmm. probably should have mentioned that the two I kept were a Colt and an SA.  The Colt was a Kings redo of a Combat Commander and the SA was run through the custom shop (a V10).  Both are now 100% after K's of rounds.  Guessing that the small shops are willing to provide that kind of reliability if asked for.  Both pistols are kind of loose but print fine at working range.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top