Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 5:16:20 PM EDT
www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/09/soledad.DCsniper/index.html

Sniper says he feels shame, guilt for murders

* Story Highlights
   * Social worker says sniper Lee Boyd Malvo is a changed person.
   * Ten people were killed in Washington-area sniper attacks in 2002
   * In a letter to CNN, Malvo writes he's still "grappling with shame, guilt, remorse"

By Soledad O"Brien
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sniper Lee Boyd Malvo said in a letter to CNN that he is still "grappling with shame, guilt, remorse and my own healing if that will ever be possible." And a social worker who has worked extensively with him said he draws self-portraits that often show him with a tear running down his cheek.

Malvo, 22, spends 23 hours a day inside his cell at Virginia's toughest prison, a maximum-security compound called Red Onion, not far from the Kentucky border. He's serving a life sentence.

According to social worker Carmeta Albarus-Lindo, Malvo is a changed person since he and John Allen Muhammad terrorized the Washington area five years ago this month in attacks that left 10 dead over a 23-day period.

"The most I can do is to continue to be there, because that is his greatest fear -- that, you know, another parental figure would abandon him because that was what he'd been exposed to all his life," said Albarus-Lindo, who has spent hundreds of hours with Malvo since his arrest and conviction. Read the letter »

She said one of those "parental" figures was Muhammad, who met Malvo in the Caribbean nearly two years before the deadly shooting spree began in 2002.

Muhammad became the teenager's surrogate father, convincing him that violence was the only way to correct perceived injustices to African-Americans, Albarus-Lindo said.

He ordered Malvo to go to bed each night and to memorize passages from "The Art of War," an ancient Chinese text on battlefield strategy.

According to Albarus-Lindo, Malvo was "brainwashed" into aiding Muhammad in the murders.

However, prosecutors have said Malvo, even at 17, knew what he was doing.

"I thought he was coldblooded," said Paul Ebert, commonwealth attorney for Prince William County, Virginia, of the first time he met Malvo. "He was a person who had chosen a life of crime."

And when a Virginia jury spared Malvo's life, some investigators said they were horrified.

"That was the hardest day of my career," said April Carroll of the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco. "I felt that day we had failed when Malvo was not sentenced to death."

Some of the victims' families said they are content that Malvo did not receive the death penalty. Vicki Buchanan Snyder, whose brother James "Sonny" Buchanan was shot in the back while mowing a patch of lawn at a Maryland auto dealership, said she was "satisfied" with the jury's verdict.

As for Malvo, Albarus-Lindo said he will "never forgive himself for what has happened." When she first began seeing him, he still called Muhammad "Dad." It took months, she said, before he stopped. In the interim, Albarus-Lindo said, he took college correspondence courses and began to draw.

Muhammad is at a Virginia prison called Sussex One. In a DVD made earlier this year inside prison and obtained exclusively by CNN, he said he is "still fighting" on death row. He wants to "correct," he said, some "inaccurate statements" made by the news media about his relationship with Malvo. He wasn't specific about what he meant. VideoWatch Muhammad on death row »

Muhammad's ex-wife, Mildred, said she believed that she was the real target of the snipers from the beginning. She and her children live in suburban Washington, and she runs a Web site called Afterthetrauma.org, devoted to the victims of domestic abuse.

Mildred Muhammad said she feels her ex-husband wanted to kill her as revenge because she was able to gain custody of their three children. As for his relationship with Malvo, she said she too is convinced that John Allen Muhammad brainwashed the younger man.

"That boy was a victim before he even knew it," she said. "His life was over when he said, 'Hi.' "

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Fuck him.  Hopefully Bubba is.  

I hope he is sharing a cell with the guy in the movie 'Fletch'.  Mr. Dover, Ben Dover
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The term 'throw away the key' comes to mind.

Which is what has happened to him....

Oh, and to all those who said the kid was a jihadi....

Once again, it fails to fit the profile.... None of that 'Death to America' pride once the spotlight is gone...

More like kid duped by a Black Supremacist....

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is he still breathing?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
where's that bag o lime
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Hang them fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck him, how much money did we as taxpayers pay the JBTs looking for a fucking white van with ARs in it spend?  Now we're paying to hear a fucking sob story, self portrait with a tear, how fucking touching!  How about a relative of a victim lets loose with a tire iron..
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I'm glad he's repented.

I own your page two. :P
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bad idea, if they throw away the key, then how can they get in to administer regular beatings?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's fine.  He can find Jesus if he wants to.  But he still needs to die like the coward he is.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Fuck him, how much money did we as taxpayers pay the JBTs looking for a fucking white van with ARs in it spend?  Now we're paying to hear a fucking sob story, self portrait with a tear, how fucking touching!  How about a relative of a victim lets loose with a tire iron..

That's why we like the death sentences that are carried out.

We won't have to listen to his sob story ever again, read his poetry, critically acclaim his prison artwork, or think about when his next parole hearing will be.

Why can't somebody just sneek him some capsules like Hermann Göring and just go away.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fine.  He can find Jesus if he wants to.  But he still needs to die like the coward he is.  

I never disagreed with that. Both needed to happen.

As a society we need to clearly explain to murderers that they were wrong and they need to repent before we kill them. They don't have to repent because we'll punish them regardless, but we have to send the message that you can't do certain things. It's clear that as a society we have not been clearly communicating that certain things are not allowed. Crime, substance abuse and murder are out of control because of it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Cant we hook up a garden hose from an exhaust source to his cell?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Pish, drop him in a tank of piranhas.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Lest we forget, an excerpt from Malvo's prison writings:

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck him in the ass with a Sawzall.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

phoenixprinting.com/malvo_jihad.jpg

Is that for real?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pish, drop him in a tank of piranhas.

Then we'd have to buy piranhas.

Mine would cost not even the gallon of gas.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
hmm. They did it to get back at whitey but its never mentioned as a racially motivated hate crime.

Liberals can all die for all I care.

Two black men were killed in the shootings. The shootings dealt more with Jihad than racism.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It would be nice if he actually was repentant, but every other murderer says that they are sorry when their ass is in jail after seeing people who get pity and help when they "find God".
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

phoenixprinting.com/malvo_jihad.jpg

Is that for real?

Yup. It's real.

These two assholes were stopped before they could go on to kill pregnant women and carry out terrorist attacks at funerals.

In Muhammad's May 2006 trial in Montgomery County, Maryland, Malvo took the stand and confessed to a more detailed version of the pair's plans. Malvo, after extensive counseling, admitted that he was lying at the earlier Virginia trial where he had admitted to being the triggerman for every shooting. Malvo claimed that he had said this in order to protect Muhammad from the death penalty, because it was more difficult to achieve the death penalty for a minor. Malvo stated, "I'm not proud of myself. I'm just trying to make amends," expressing his regret in the shootings.[4] In his two days of testimony, Malvo outlined detailed aspects of all the shootings.

Part of his testimony concerned Muhammad's complete, multiphase plan. His plan consisted of three phases in the Washington, DC and Baltimore, Maryland metro areas. Phase one consisted of meticulously planning, mapping, and practicing their locations around the DC area. This way after each shooting they would be able to quickly leave the area on a predetermined path, and move on to the next location. Muhammad's goal in Phase One was to kill six people a day for 30 days. Malvo went on to describe how Phase One did not go as planned due to heavy traffic and the lack of a clear shot and/or getaway at different locations.

Phase Two was meant to be moved up to Baltimore. Malvo described how this phase was close to being implemented, but never was carried out. Phase Two was intended to begin by killing a pregnant woman by shooting her in the stomach. The next step would have been to shoot and kill a Baltimore City police officer. Then, at the officer's funeral, they were to create several improvised explosive devices complete with shrapnel. These explosives were intended to kill a large number of police, since many police would attend another officer's funeral.

The last phase was to take place very shortly after, if not during, Phase Two. The third phase was to extort several million dollars from the U.S. government. This money would be used to finance a larger plan: to travel north into Canada and recruit other effectively orphaned boys to use weapons and stealth, and send them out to commit shootings across the country.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Boyd_Malvo

Fuck Malvo. Rot in prison 'til it's your time to rot in hell, shitbird. You made your bed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I can put you guys into contact with quite a few Red Onion guards if you want to arrange some alone time with Malvo.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is what has happened to him....

Oh, and to all those who said the kid was a jihadi....

Once again, it fails to fit the profile.... None of that 'Death to America' pride once the spotlight is gone...

More like kid duped by a Black Supremacist....

didnt he shoot some african american folk ?

...also, i seem to have forgotten again.  can you please tell us what time our daily dose of gov stupid is going to be administered?

this piece of trash is a ROP shitbag for life.  5 times a day toward that rock in the desert somewhere and all...

eta:  and obviously the key has not been thrown away, as he is apparently taking college courses and drawing .  corresponding w/ our good friends at cnn, etc has seemed to shed a new spotlight on him.  

The key has been thrown away in that he will die in that prison...

As for the rest, His 'mentor' was 'Nation of Islam' which is a Black Supremacist group moreso than a real Muslim organization...  There is a long history on said individual that backs up his 'politics' being racially - not religiously motivated...

Once again, in all their during-the-shootings communications (via notes left at the scene) they profiled out perfectly as your average run-of-the-mill psychopaths who enjoyed killing and killed for killings sake...

No Muslim could or would ever leave a note saying 'I am God' - it's worse than eating pork to them...

The whole 'I'm a terrorist' thing came out only AFTER being caught, and AFTER they cameras were off them for a second...

All the sudden, they wanted to be big bad jihadis.... And then they're not (like in this article)... And then they are... Every bit of evidence points to the terror angle being made up by the suspects for various reasons...

No terrorist would ever apologize for his actions - something that Malvo has done on several occasions recently...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The key has been thrown away in that he will die in that prison...

As for the rest, His 'mentor' was 'Nation of Islam' which is a Black Supremacist group moreso than a real Muslim organization...  There is a long history on said individual that backs up his 'politics' being racially - not religiously motivated...

Once again, in all their during-the-shootings communications (via notes left at the scene) they profiled out perfectly as your average run-of-the-mill psychopaths who enjoyed killing and killed for killings sake...

No Muslim could or would ever leave a note saying 'I am God' - it's worse than eating pork to them...

The whole 'I'm a terrorist' thing came out only AFTER being caught, and AFTER they cameras were off them for a second...

All the sudden, they wanted to be big bad jihadis.... And then they're not (like in this article)... And then they are... Every bit of evidence points to the terror angle being made up by the suspects for various reasons...

No terrorist would ever apologize for his actions - something that Malvo has done on several occasions recently...

His mentor's name was Muhammad.  He was a member of the Nation of ISLAM.  

this implies a small hint about his spiritual leanings. black supremecists dont like to kill 'their own kind'.  

perhaps in jail, while enduring the harsh punishment of college correspondence classes, drawing hobbies, and love letters to cnn, he observed a chance at gaining attention again to benefit himself.  there by finding a way to make his stay in oz a little more comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top