Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 5:00:45 PM EDT
anybody used them or put them in themselves?

i was kind of impressed with the laser shield brand, but i'm still in shopping mode.  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-ST13
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm trying to secure a single room roughly 20'x30'.  one window, one set of side by side doors...  i won't be in there at all when it is locked and i leave.  no pets, no getting up in the night, etc.  maybe something easy like the MCM stuff wouldn't be a stretch.  a motion detector and some door switches would do most of it up fine...

the laser shield thing would probably work relatively well.  i was happy with the cost, but i wasn't impressed with the $20 per month for the ongoing services.  is this typical?

i guess if i were ok without the phone line thingy it would be ok, but i live in the middle of nowhere, so if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, is there an alarm?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My uncle has a security system installed and no monitoring service.  Its just there to wake him up so that he can draw down on the BGs.  Seems like that would be the point if you were too secluded to have monitoring.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
pretty helpful stuff guys.  maybe this isn't such a big deal after all.  these things really look pretty straight forward and simple.  

are there brands or systems besides the wireless stuff that i should avoid?  i'm looking for simple and reliable.  i really have an elementary application, so it shouldn't require anything extravagant.

some of the links above look to be promising.

Do some snooping around homesecuritystore.com  They have a forum with boards about all manner of security stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top