Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 2:36:53 PM EDT
I saw this story on ABC News the other night and it got me thinking. Can you imagine if a major city, in the US or otherwise, lost its drinking water supply? I heard about some small towns in Tennessee that already have and they are having to truck in water, but Atlanta is another story.  

abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext=atlanta&from=0&to=9&type=video

Its the first one, dated October 8.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't doubt it.  I just took a trip and while flying over the SE you can clearly see, below the low water mark, an extra 10-15 ft of exposed bank on all the rivers and lakes.

The people running the Haliburton machine need to stop trying to drown Texas!!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I work just down the street from the Chattanasty River, where it seperates Columbus and Phenix City.  You can about walk across it without getting your feet wet, it's so low.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw this story on ABC News the other night and it got me thinking. Can you imagine if a major city, in the US or otherwise, lost its drinking water supply? I heard about some small towns in Tennessee that already have and they are having to truck in water, but Atlanta is another story.  

If you wanted to take over a city, just cut the power supply, infect the water with dysentery, etc. and let the city destroy itself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Global warming forcing everyone to drink more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
PEAK WATER!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you wanted to take over a city, just cut the power supply, infect the water with dysentery, etc. and let the city destroy itself.

Wash d.c. anyone???????   Just kidding....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wait until LA loses their Owens Valley line... that's all folks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Want to take over Atlanta? Cut off da' welfare and watch the city destroy itself.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a shame. I'm gonna take up a collection to send them Sarin.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to my world.

We are in a big drought here in south east Queensland, and have been on water restrictions for a long time. We have lowered our water usage to under 140 litres per person.

link

We havent gotten lower than 6 months supply, but its still a bit scary. Thankfully we have had a lot of summer storms this week so it has helped out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do they play cricket in Atlanta?

They don't play with them, they eat them.

It would appear, yes, they do play cricket:

www.atlantacricket.org/

Probably not on the scale that you're used to though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
We got really worried when our breweries started to run out of water. Apparently it takes 3 litres of water to make 1 of beer, or something like that. Every bloke volunteered to not take showers for a month, just so we could keep the beer flowing....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.atlantacricket.org/

Thats awesome,

we play American Football here too

footy
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.atlantacricket.org/

Thats awesome,

we play American Football here too

footy

Heh...I'm not a huge cricket fan (never watched a game before - it just seems like an also-ran version of baseball to me) but I'll probably have to get into it eventually - my Indian friend keeps talking about how they won the Twenty20 'world cup' and beat Pakistan.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I use crickets to catch shellcrackers every spring.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Well for one thing Lanier is not drying up due to drought its because of the fucking Corp of Engineers draining the lake due to commitments.  Its not helping that there hasn't been much rain, but the Corp are not factoring that in and still pulling the same amount of water from the lake.  My brother is a boat mechanic on the lake and parents live there and its a fucking disgrace what the Corp are doing to it.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
All I've got to say is that I hope they herd 'em towards Florida!

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We got really worried when our breweries started to run out of water. Apparently it takes 3 litres of water to make 1 of beer, or something like that. Every bloke volunteered to not take showers for a month, just so we could keep the beer flowing....
You guys in "the land down under" also experienced extreme drought conditions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#20]
As long as Covington leaves Varner alone I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Global warming forcing everyone to drink more.

But since the polar ice caps are melting we should all be knee deep in water.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]
While not germane to Atlanta's water problems, the funny thing is that many many people view freshwater as a non-renewable resource.

I can take the nastiest toilet water and come up with clean potable water in less than three days.

The fly in the ointment is chemical pollution (e.g. heavy metals, etc.).
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Eh.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:19:11 AM EDT
[#24]
What is this drought thing you speak of?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I remember hearing something a few months ago that Las Vegas, NV was going to run out of water soon (Lake Meed is empty ?).

All they need to do and this goes for every place with a water problem is, outlaw golf courses and the irragation of  non crop land.  If your caught watering your lawn the water supply to the property will be cut off for a week.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I came across Lake Allatoona NW of Atlanta a hour ago....there is a trickle of water n the stream bed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top