Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 12:23:26 PM EDT
Going on a road trip in 3 weeks and am wondering if there are any issues in taking a firearm along with me. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the states you r traveling through, where you are staying, and the type of firearm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
you may want to ask in the forums for each state. just incase the laws are differrent from state to state
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
This is not the correct answer, but IMO it's a don't ask don't tell kind of situation. If you get pulled over then don't mention the weapon, however if you had to use it then you having it probably wouldn't be an issue.

My wife last year drove from TX to Ill.  and she carried my G23 the whole way without an incident.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There's an ATF reg that states as long as the weapon is legal where you start and legal where you end up, it's ok to pass through ban states as long as they're not your final destination.

Although I have heard that NY will arrest you anyhow and ignore the federal regs completely.

Anyone have information about this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I always take at least the handgun with me. I have a tendency to sleep at rest stops, which is highly recommended against, but I still do. The last time was on my way home from FL in August, I couldn't get past Lexington, KY, without getting some shuteye. So I stopped on I75, with my family, who were already passed out. I would've never done that unarmed, maybe by myself, by not with my family.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You can legally keep an unloaded firearm locked in a case in your trunk as long as you are just passing through in any state.

Some state laws are much less restrictive, however. But if you are just looking to transport it, lock it in a case and keep it in the trunk.

That said, getting a CCW with multi-state reciprocity is a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is not the correct answer, but IMO it's a don't ask don't tell kind of situation. If you get pulled over then don't mention the weapon, however if you had to use it then you having it probably wouldn't be an issue.

My wife last year drove from TX to Ill.  and she carried my G23 the whole way without an incident.

There could be alot of issues with this.  Carrying someone else's handgun is not allowed in some states.  Also, last I checked Illinois is not very CCW friendly...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There could be alot of issues with this.  Carrying someone else's handgun is not allowed in some states.  Also, last I checked Illinois is not very CCW friendly...

Which is why no one but her knew that she had it

There was no way in Hell that I was going to send my wife, with her parents (including her Father with dimensia) across this country without some kind of protection.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There's an ATF reg that states as long as the weapon is legal where you start and legal where you end up, it's ok to pass through ban states as long as they're not your final destination.

Although I have heard that NY will arrest you anyhow and ignore the federal regs completely.

Thanks.

I rememeber when this was in the news. a chicks flight got diverted to a new york airport (she had not intended to go there, it was some sort of problem) so when she gets their she re-declares her pistol to make sure to stay legal. she is promptly arrested. dunno what happened to her though.  fuck NY.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I went from MD to FL and back a few years ago with some friends.  1911 and ammo in the trunk, and were definitely comforting during one emergency bathroom stop in the middle of Richmond at ~12am, even though nobody on the trip knew about it.

Now, if I wasnt worried about what the people in the vehicle thought, I would bring a 20" 12ga or 16" AR.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I've CCW'd in Chicago if it makes you feel any better....

....When I go on road trips I take my M59 Yugo SKS, one of those CTD vests with 200rds on stripper clips OR a 10/22 with 550rd value pack and 6 loaded 25rd steel lips as a trunk gun.

Carry a G26 on my waist.
Carry a 340pd in my pocket.
CRKT 3.5'' pocket knife.

Walther P99 in my laptop bag and 4 spare mags for it and 2 G18 mags for the Glock.

My wife gets frustrated cause my guns and BOB/GHB I take end up being as much as her suitcase full of hair spray and makeup.  

Luckily we did have a flat late night in the middle of no where and pulled over on the side of a gravel road.  Got out the headlamp, broke open a couple flares (it was pitch black) and changed the tire.   Taking the BOB/GHB is a good idea cause on the way home you can snack on some of the food in it and give you a good opportunity to rotate out the old stuff.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't advise you to break laws, regardless of if it's through ignorance or deliberate intent.  All I can tell you is the way I think about it.  I'd rather have one of my guns with me in the event I needed to protect my life or the lives of my family, and deal with the consequenses later, than to find myself in a position of needing the gun for that reason and not having it.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I can't advise you to break laws, regardless of if it's through ignorance or deliberate intent.  All I can tell you is the way I think about it.  I'd rather have one of my guns with me in the event I needed to protect my life or the lives of my family, and deal with the consequenses later, than to find myself in a position of needing the gun for that reason and not having it.  But that's just me.

+1

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Check at packing.org for the regs in the states through which you will be traveling.

I am driving to Texas next week and every state along the way has reciprocity with Georgia.

I will also have an AR50, an AR30, and an AR10T in hard cases in the back of the truck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Depends on the states you r traveling through, where you are staying, and the type of firearm.

Also depends on how you carry the gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks.

That's not an ATF reg, that's Federal Law courtesy of the 1986 FOPA.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Since I am pretty sure the statute of limitations has expired, I have carried in NYC.

Nosegun, it was my Baby Browning.  A time or two it made me feel better to have it in my pocket.

It may be a popgun, but it sounds like a cannon in close spaces.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thanks.
NYC a quick detour heading north or south thru the Tappan Zee Bridge should be no problem,  avoid the Cross Bronx Xpressway and the Sullivan Act
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I was either taking my shotty or my 45. I'll start doing some research. Was probably just going to tuck it away locked while on the road and ready while we sleep.

This will be in a 30' Motorhome class C

CA to MO
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Check at packing.org for the regs in the states through which you will be traveling.

I am driving to Texas next week and every state along the way has reciprocity with Georgia.

I will also have an AR50, an AR30, and an AR10T in hard cases in the back of the truck.

Good luck with leaving Texas and going through Louisiana.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck with leaving Texas and going through Louisiana.

Ask me how I know.

How do you know?

I went to the Hun Farm in May 2006 in the same truck with some of the same guns and had no problem in any state.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think that would be an issue in very many states.

You are correct about ILL, but better to be arrested than dead.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#24]
It depends on who your more frightened of.... the bad guys or the cops,  choose accordingly
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Having driven cross country multiple times, I would encourage you to bring a pistol!

It really sucks when you have to stop for gas in the middle of no where and you are completely unarmed, there are some weird MFers out there.

unfortunatly the Army is anti gun and I'll I had for protection was my benchmade folder

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#26]
What you are looking for is a so-called "peaceable journey" law.

You paid nothing for this.  It's not legal advice.  Consult your professional adviser.  However:

In general:

"Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible."

This: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59 is a good source.

As to the airport question, this letter is on point.  (PDF)

http://www.nraila.org/images/DOJltrTSA.pdf
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Take the gun and protect yourself. Don't tell anyone. Period.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
\

Ok I am going to take this a step further. Does your comment still apply in the fact that I am going to a Military base that will most likely allow me to drive the motorhome in and park?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
\

Ok I am going to take this a step further. Does your comment still apply in the fact that I am going to a Military base that will most likely allow me to drive the motorhome in and park?

I'm .mil and take my chances. It's up to you, but my family comes first, and like I said before, period.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#31]
pray, draw down, unload everything.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
\

I don't think I would go to the military base

I believe it would be a felony to bring a undeclared weapon on site, and they do random searches I believe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+1

I mostly ignore the CCW laws while traveling.  I carry something small and highly concealable, drive the speed limit, avoid bad areas and bars, and I've never had a problem.

Now I'll sit back and watch the shitstorm of Arftard sheeple screaming "you can't do that!" and "are you going to pay for his lawyer when he gets busted?"  Happens every time. . . .

ETA: [FOPA86] is useless, since the really bad states like NJ/NY/IL ignore it and will prosecute you anyway, and in any case it requires that the gun be unloaded and in the trunk.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Check here for details of the states you will be going through:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Best of luck and safe travels!

PITSNIPE OUT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top