Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 8:56:37 AM EDT
Definitely one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed 1st hand ( in referance to mother nature ).

Myself and 3 buddies were golfing the Legend Trails golf course ( north of phoenix / scottsdale approx 20 miles ).

It's a 'desert course' for the non golfers here: which means you basically have a golf course built in the middle of the desert. Just Fairways are grass / tee boxes and the greens. You can take 1 step off of the fairway and you are in the desert.

Anyway ... it was around 3:00 pm on Friday Oct. 5th and I was standing approx 10 feet off of the putting area / green and I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. Keep in mind you have 4 human beings all 6 feet plus and 200lbs ea all within 100 feet ( 30 yards ) of the stalk and kill. I was the only one of the group who witnessed the entire stalk.

A bobcat was creeping the edge line where the grass borders the desert for approx 10-15 yards really slow and croutching and then in a split second went into a top speed sprint for about another 15 yards and then made a sharp right turn and nailed a rabbit that was maybe 5-8 feet off of the grass / in the desert. In a split second and a cloud of sand and dust the bobcat had the rabbit behind the head and neck area and casually just strolled away.

I have never seen a bobcat in the wild much less witness a stalk and kill and thought it was pretty cool.

I don't know if it was a juvenile bobcat or just a smaller species of bobcat. It looked like it would weigh approx 35lbs or so and was maybe 3 1/2 feet long ( not counting the tail ) and maybe 2 feet tall to the head area. It looked alittle smaller / more thin than what I envisioned one would look like. Excellent desert camo pelt on it also.

Seeing mother nature and one of her predators in action made a great trip even better.

Sorry no pics ... only had a golf club in my hand.

Click map 14 on the link below. I am pretty sure that is the hole / green I saw it on.

CLICK HERE
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Saw a wild bobcat make a kill last weekend while golfing in Phoenix AZ

<Grammar Nazi> That's AMAZING! You saw a bobcat golfing in Phoenix? Did you get pictures/video? <Grammar Nazi>

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Saw a wild bobcat make a kill last weekend while I WAS golfing in Phoenix AZ

<Grammar Nazi> That's AMAZING! You saw a bobcat golfing in Phoenix? Did you get pictures/video? <Grammar Nazi>

Fixt'r fer Hitler  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Scottsdale hires those bobcats to entertain the well-to-do's that frequent the course. Congrats, you saw a circus act.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow maybe OJ was onto something by looking for 'the real killer' there!  Maybe the bobcat did it!

ETA: In seriousness though, cool story.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Scottsdale hires those bobcats to entertain the well-to-do's that frequent the course. Congrats, you saw a circus act.

Living up to your screen name I see.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw my Doberman kill a wild bobcat once........it was pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw a big cat (do not know what kind) when I played out at The Duke in May of 2005. That was kind of cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top