Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 7:47:15 PM EDT
I already have a SAR-1 & around 1,500 rounds of ammunition for it. Should I get another AK or order another case of cartridges?

I figure the AK would be banned first but then I figured it would probably be best to have at least 1,000 more rounds.

What does ARF think?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely get both.  You can buy 1k of 7.62x.39 for for ~$200 shipped.  You can buy another AK for not much more than that, depending on how much AK you want quality wise.  If you save $1k before the '08 elections, you can have plenty of ammo and another AK.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Just how long does ammunition last if it's not fired?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Both....seriously
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Pretty much the rest of your life.

I just fired some LC 66 .30-'06 in my Garand the other day, and it is as good as the day it was made.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

longer than you if you keep it out of standing water.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Beware of the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it.

Buy ammo and take a training class.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well actually I also have a 10/22 & 870 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the gun.

Guns are (somewhat, relatively) cheap right now.

So are magazines.

Stock up on what's cheap.  

Ammo is not cheap right now.

Ammo isn't going away, despite what the chicken littles say.

It will eventually stabilize in price, and probably come back down.  Supply and demand still exists.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Is $199 with free shipping a good price for 1,000 rounds of Wolf HP?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not that great.

I like Brown Bear FMJ's.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Max out them credit cards!!!!!!!!!!

You actually have to use credit cards, to give someone advice like that.

OP, go max those cards out, NOW!  Get both!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]
get another AK..
I bet it will be the first AR to be banned, and we all know why..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 1 card. It's my very first so maxing it out isn't going to happen just yet. I've managed to pay it off every month & don't want to break that record.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yup.. jump on it ..The shipping isnt cheap..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
get another AK..

An AK will be the first AR to be banned? That made my evening.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
get another AK..

AR= assualt rifle
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have 1 card. It's my very first so maxing it out isn't going to happen just yet. I've managed to pay it off every month & don't want to break that record.

Don't go into debt for this.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Guns, magazines, ammo in that order.

Remember, everytime you buy an AK, Diane Feinstein's hemmoroid bleeds a little more.  

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammoman has 1k Golden Tiger for $189 shipped right now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

get more ammo, and MORE MAGAZINES... along with some taktical gear, and some body armor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
get another AK..

AR= assualt rifle

It's Sport Utility Rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Guns, magazines, ammo in that order.

Remember, everytime you buy an AK, Diane Feinstein's hemmoroid bleeds a little more.  

Colonel Hurtz

I have to disagree. (because you already have the gun, as per OP)

gun ------> ammo -------> magazines------> mag pouches ---------> body armor/tactical gear

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#24]
how many mags do you have? you should have atleast 10-20 mags if this is your only rifle, as well as 2K rounds on hand, use 500 or 1000 to train with and never go below 1K rounds in reserves.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#25]

you should have atleast 10-20 mags if this is your only rifle

I need a few more then. What's a good place to get some soft body armor?

EDIT: My very first King of page!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

In a stable and dry environment it will out last you by many years most likely.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't have an AK, although that's next on the list of shit to get.    I've got very little left to pay on my credit cards, so I plan on an AK after the first of the year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Is soft body armor really worth it? I was reading www.bulletproofme.com & it seems like even if you get a III grade vest, you still could get killed from impact.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

you should have atleast 10-20 mags if this is your only rifle

I need a few more then. What's a good place to get some soft body armor?

EDIT: My very first King of page!

You are king of your own thread, are you proud?

As for the body armor, well, I'd rather be wearing it than not wearing it should a bullet impact my chest.  You may feel otherwise, however.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammoman has 1k Golden Tiger for $189 shipped right now.

Gah, avoid ammoscam like the plague. It's cheaper at AIM Surplus anyway. AIM is also a site sponser, where as ammoman is banned from the site...

Here it is for $170 plus ~$16 shipping.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Golden_Tiger_7.62x39_124grn_FMJ.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I didnt know ammoman was banned from here However, I'm not 21 yet so I can't order from AIM
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I didnt know ammoman was banned from here However, I'm not 21 yet so I can't order from AIM

Well, I'm not either. Do you have parents or a sibling over 21 that wants to order some rifle ammo?

Otherwise, if you can't do that, shoot "flannagan_bryan" an IM through arfcom. He's the AIM industry partner here. I'm under 21 as well, and he said if someone under 21 needed to order rifle ammo to just contact him. There are just a few more things they need to do to sell you the ammo if you are 18-20 yo. The whole ID thing is a PITA, but AIM ran into some legal problems a ways back (went to court), and now have their ID policy. Once it's on file you don't even notice it anymore though.

ammoman used to be an arfcom site sponser/industry partner but had some deceptive advertising regarding a SKS he was selling on his website. He stated quite prominently it was a Vietnam bring back SKS. When a member here bought it, they find that it has import markings on it. When the member contacts ammoman about this, ammoman goes ballistic and hangs up on him. There is more, but I'll stop here. His affiliation with the site was severed because of this and the ensuing crap storm.

So therefore I never have and never will patronize eric the ammoman.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'm not either. Do you have parents or a sibling over 21 that wants to order some rifle ammo?

Otherwise, if you can't do that, shoot "flannagan_bryan" an IM through arfcom. He's the AIM industry partner here. I'm under 21 as well, and he said if someone under 21 needed to order rifle ammo to just contact him. There are just a few more things they need to do to sell you the ammo if you are 18-20 yo. The whole ID thing is a PITA, but AIM ran into some legal problems a ways back (went to court), and now have their ID policy. Once it's on file you don't even notice it anymore though.

ammoman used to be an arfcom site sponser/industry partner but had some deceptive advertising regarding a SKS he was selling on his website. He stated quite prominently it was a Vietnam bring back SKS. When a member here bought it, they find that it has import markings on it. When the member contacts ammoman about this, ammoman goes ballistic and hangs up on him. There is more, but I'll stop here. His affiliation with the site was severed because of this and the ensuing crap storm.

Good to know, thanks for filling me in!  Actually, I live 2.5 hours away from my parents, and I like my ammo to be with me.  I might just have to I.M. him soon. I've had nothing but great service from ammoman, but I would much rather support a company that supports this site.  AIM it is for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I IM'd him about a week ago and he never responded to me.  I would love to support AIM but I can't at the moment, seeing as I'm not 21.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know, thanks for filling me in!  Actually, I live 2.5 hours away from my parents, and I like my ammo to be with me.  I might just have to I.M. him soon. I've had nothing but great service from ammoman, but I would much rather support a company that supports this site.  AIM it is for me.

From what I here, eric the ammoman is fine to deal with until there is some sort of problem with your order. His customer service leaves much to be desired. His prices are honestly only middle of the road anyway...

And speaking of ammo sites that cause controversy on arfcom, Sportsman's Guide has no ID for ammo policy. While I have had zero problems with them in the past, some here have had run ins with them regarding back orders and their "Buyers Club" program. I'm not in the "Buyers Club" member and have had no problems with back orders. In the past SPG (unlike ammoman) had some really great deals, and I still keep an eye on their ammo and magazine deals, but no great deals have come up recently. AIM is looking more and more like  my sole online ammo provider. There prices are consistently very reasonable.

For magazines (and some decent deals on firearms), I recommend CDNN
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I IM'd him about a week ago and he never responded to me.  I would love to support AIM but I can't at the moment, seeing as I'm not 21.

His inbox might be clogged. I'm sure he receives more than his share of IMs.

Try posting here if you can't get a response-

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=217
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His inbox might be clogged. I'm sure he receives more than his share of IMs.

Try posting here if you can't get a response-

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=217

Well that should be worth a try.  I'm tellin him you sent me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top