Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 6:31:10 PM EDT
Recommend a waterproof camera, cheap, reliable, good pics, etc.

Recommend a vendor that sells USA models and is reliable in case of problems.

I need a camera for kayak fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, it has to be waterproof and work well.  I'd also like to use it for videos from RC planes.

Tried a Pentax Optio W30 but can't see it's LCD in bright sunlight on the water.  Otherwise it is an extremely versitile camera with lots of settings flexibility and it takes very good pics.  The W30 takes 640x480 video at 30 frames per second, in .MOV format...which won't work on my computer due to corrupted Windows.  The MB, Processor and HD will be replaced in a few months fixing that problem.

Many Texas Kayak Fishing guys use the Olympus 770 SW, it's waterproof to 33 feet, more rugged and takes great pictures, better yet the LCD seems brighter, they report being able to see it on the water.  Movies are 640x480 but only 15fps, in .AVI format which will work...but they are only 15 fps, rats.  The 770 SW is more likely to survive plane crashes.

Got a Pentax Optio W30 from B&H, it's sensor failed, they took it back for a refund.

B&H is great but they do not have any more Olympus 770 SW's.  The new 790 SW is only waterproof to 10 feet, like the W30.

For diving I could put either the W30 or 770SW in a housing and it the housing leaked a little water would not hurt the camera, that's a good thing.

Recommendations, comments, advice?

Thanks

(Digital Nerds sells non-USA cameras, Walmart has em but there is sales tax.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top