Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2001 8:34:56 PM EDT
I'd say, as far as technical ability is concerned, Neil Peart of RUSH is probably the greatest drummer ever.

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The drummer for Rush is and has always been Neil Pert, and he is indeed the best.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What about Keith Moon and Ginger Baker?
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
tommy lee
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay gentlemen,

I'm now 34, and have been drumming since the age of 8.

I too fell into the Neal Peart Trance for the longest time, (shit I went to more than 10 Rush concerts). He is technically great.....but the MAN CANNOT GROOVE. Period, end of story.

You wanna talk CHOPS and GROOVE, then you better look at a little more recent music, like Dave Matthews Band, and THIER DRUMMER, (who is an ANIMAL): CARTER BEAUFORD.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Doane Perry - he's done so much studio work you probably don't even know its him.

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd have to vote for Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.  Of course, Rod Morgenstein from the Dregs is incredible also.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd have to vote for Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.  Of course, Rod Morgenstein from the Dregs is incredible also.
View Quote

Ditto! Also, Tommy Aldredge(sp?)
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, there are quite a few excellent studio drummers...
And Moon was great...
So was Bonzo...
but the best  is undoubtably Neil Peart.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
you guys have taken to many drugs, WHICH I NEVER DID,[:)] ,,, BTW My vote is for Mickey Hart.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Peart is the original "Super Drummer". And I agree he is among the best of the best. Also, he was the innovator of the genre, well him and Carl Palmer. If you think he's THE best, that's fine, but Morgenstein and Portnoy are more advanced the same way as Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci are more advanced than Hendrix or Page.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#13]
find a copy of mickey hart's album  .. "planet drum"!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Boys and girls, please!  The answer is: John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), and Keith Moon (The Who).  Any other examples have not stood the test of time. Perhaps future applicants will reach the levels the above-cited individuals reached during their long careers.  Most likely not.  
Longevity counts for a LOT.
View Quote

Longevity??  Both these guys are DEAD! Both were great drummers, but not THE best. It's kinda like rating women. You have to save the "ten" rating for those that only come along once in a lifetime. Plenty of 9's and 9.5's, but 10's are a rare breed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I will bet a wooden nickle that know one here knows who mickey hart is!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...but Morgenstein and Portnoy are more advanced the same way as Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci are more advanced than Hendrix or Page.
View Quote

You better define "advanced" before you make a statement such as that regarding those guitarists. In fact, I got into a very heated argument with Tommy Lee of Motley Crue fame when we were in high school back in 1978 about this same subject. His position was that Eddie kicked butt over Page, while my position was Page was so far more advanced than Eddie, that you couldn't even compare the two. We almost went to blows over it. I was ready to smack him in the head with my Les Paul and I know he was just about ready to cram a drum stick in my eye. :)

Of course, Tommy being a drummer has his own opinion. I'm a guitarist so I have mine. The fact is, if you put Eddie against Page in a "shred" contest, of course Eddie would come out on top. But if you added a mix of Reggae, Blues, Progressive, etc., then I can assure you the outcome would not be to Eddie's advantage (back then). Eddie is one of the greatest "hard rock" guitarists of all time, but there's more to music than shredding.

But I will say this: At that time, Eddie was a breath of fresh air. He practically invented the guitar "effects" that became so commonplace in the 80's. But, you know, he was building on Hendrix's work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Carmine Appice
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Of course, any comparison is apples to oranges.  Kind of like comparing DaVinci to Renior.  There is no THE best.  Yes, I am a long time student of percussion and have many that I admire and even try to emulate but to say any ONE is the best misses the point.  Whomever YOU think is the best is the best; to you.  Personally, every drummer mentioned is great, in their own way.  That's what's cool about music, you can be the best at the one thing you do and no one can copy it.  Many drummers have kept me in their spell for years: Bonham, Moon, Al Jackson, Steve Gadd, Danny Carrey, Phil Collins, Matt Cameron, Buddy Rich, Steve Smith, Jeff Porcaro, Chad Smith, Alex Van Halen.... The list is endless, and no one can say that any of those guys sound alike but they all are, each of them, brilliant at what they do.  However, after years of being awed by technical briliance, I now seem to appreciate most the ability to lay down a relevant, soulful GROOVE.  If that includes flashes of technique, at the right time, then even better.  Versatility is also the hallmark of a great drummer.  Anyway, just some thoughts.    
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I will bet a wooden nickle that know one here knows who mickey hart is!
View Quote

Grateful Dead ...
Where's my nickle?

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I vote for Neil Peart. Great band to see live.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Beagles you are showing your age!!! ever heard "planet drum"??  To recieve wood nickle send self adressed stamped envelope[:)]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Neil Peart (who was NOT the original drummer BTW)
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Neil Peart
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll second the nomination for Tommy Aldridge.  After all, who can argue with Nugent's opinion?z
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#30]
That guy that programs all the beats for the Backstreet Boys.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Lars Ulrich
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Definately NEIL AND LARS [smash]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Okay, I can't pick just one, so here's the top 10, in no particular order...

1) John Bonham - Zepplin (duh)
2) Vinnie Paul - Pantera
3) Bill Ward - Black Sabbath
4) Keith Moon - The Who
5) Neil Pert - Rush
6) Every goddamn drummer for SLAYER
7) John Densmore - The Doors
8) Chuck Biscuits - Black Flag/Danzig
9) Max Roach
10) Danny Carey - Tool
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...but Morgenstein and Portnoy are more advanced the same way as Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci are more advanced than Hendrix or Page.
View Quote

You better define "advanced" before you make a statement such as that regarding those guitarists. In fact, I got into a very heated argument with Tommy Lee of Motley Crue fame when we were in high school back in 1978 about this same subject. His position was that Eddie kicked butt over Page, while my position was Page was so far more advanced than Eddie, that you couldn't even compare the two. We almost went to blows over it. I was ready to smack him in the head with my Les Paul and I know he was just about ready to cram a drum stick in my eye. :)
View Quote

By more advanced, I mean more refined. In other words, Van Halen, Vai, Morse, et al grew up listening to Page, Beck, Hendrix, and the rest of the legends. They learned to play based on what already existed, and added to it greatly. It happens everywhere. Music, sports, science, performance in later generations is better than priors, not because the early generations weren't great, but because they were. Now if you asked me, who was the most influential drummer ever, I might have an entirely different answer than who [b]is[/b] (as in ppresent tense) the greatest drummer. That was the original question.  BTW, I too am a guitar player, been playing for over 25 years. Got lots of cool eqpt., been in many bands. My brother is an awesome drummer and has been playing for close to 30 years. We also grew up on Zep and other classics. I'm only a couple of years younger than Eddie, but not "quite" as gifted.[;)]

Of course, Tommy being a drummer has his own opinion. I'm a guitarist so I have mine. The fact is, if you put Eddie against Page in a "shred" contest, of course Eddie would come out on top. But if you added a mix of Reggae, Blues, Progressive, etc., then I can assure you the outcome would not be to Eddie's advantage (back then). Eddie is one of the greatest "hard rock" guitarists of all time, but there's more to music than shredding.
View Quote

Here we are in agreement. Both guitarists were extreemly influential though. Both changed rock music forever. That's what constitutes true greatness.

But I will say this: At that time, Eddie was a breath of fresh air. He practically invented the guitar "effects" that became so commonplace in the 80's. But, you know, he was building on Hendrix's work.
View Quote

Not just Hendrix, every guitarist that ever inspired him. Again that's what I mean by advanced. And the more advanced a person is at their craft, the more ability they will posess.
The new builds upon the old. Music in general is always a work in progress. Once that ceases to be the case it will no longer be interesting since creativity will be gone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#36]
6) Every goddamn drummer for SLAYER
View Quote

Yes!  Fast and hard.  Dave Lombardo was the drummer (hope I spelled his name correctly).  Were there others?

I actually got to see them play covers, including from Iron Maiden, before they became very famous.  I was in Torrance working out of town for several months, and I didn't have anything better to do at night or on weekends so I got-in with a couple of local bars that had live bands.  I helped setup and with security.  The pay wasn't great, but I got to meet some interesting people.  Hearing Slayer was an experience.  I stood about 4' from Lombardo and about 2' behind the PA speakers for most of the show.  They played a couple of original songs (that were terrible, but this was early), and I swear the drummer was playing 4 beats per second.  It was fast!  The next day, I was sore.  I've heard much louder bands, but none of them left my stomach hurting like that.  Are there any other bands or drummers that play that fast?z
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:22:02 AM EDT
[#37]
TOMMY LEE
TOMMY LEE

MOTLEY CRUE
MOTLEY CRUE

[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:58:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Myself:  www.katella.net
LOL!!
There are no MP3's that I played on on the site thought, and I am leaving this band.

I second Magnum_99.  The best drummer is the one who grooves the hardest in any given situation.  The ten-tenths doods are the guys that groove so hard they blow your mind, and can also make you flip with the simplest and most well executed things.  That said, I dig Neal Peart, Mike Portnoy, Robert Sweet, Jeff Porcaro, Tommy Lee, and one of my current faves is..shoot I don't remember his name (too early in the morning).  He is John Cougar Mellencamp's drummer, does studio work all over, did some of Michael Sweet's solo stuff, did Smashing Pumpkins record, played on the last Fuel disc too.  Just remembered his name...Kenny Aronoff!!  Love that dood, and a big influence!  Also really like - Desmond Child, songwriter to the stars and best contemporary songwriter of our time.  Not a drummer, but you have to be an idiot to deny the impact this guy has in rock, pop, and country music.

AS you can see, my like or dislike of a drummer is directly tied to the stuff he has played on and what he did with (or TO...LOL!) it.

I see a lot of drummers that can execute every rudiment perfectly without a hint of straining.  Just try to get them to play "Stupify" and make it sound "right" though.
It's a groove thang and ya gots it or ya don't.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Call me crazy, but you kinda have to hand it to Rick Allen of Def Leppard.  Was a drummer, he lost an arm, had to learn how to do it again.  A one armed drummer that can still manage to be a superstar.  Let's see Lars or Peart try that out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Neil Peart, John Bonham Sr.,

Best Guitarist:
Edward Ludwig VanHalen
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Alex Lifeson (also of Rush won best guitarist
             several times in the 70's)

Billy of zztop, the cat can swing)
Jimmy Hendrix (redhouse, villanova Junction can you say Good god)

Oh, by the way I play two EVH Wolfgang's and a 5150 Half Stack (Can you say, OVERWHELMING)
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The drummer for Rush is and has always been Neil Pert, and he is indeed the best.
View Quote

Actually there was someone before him, can't think of his name though.

Oh yeah, what about Animal from the muppets band?[:D]
View Quote

John Rutsey.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Ron Bushy - Iron Butterfly
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#43]
There's no way I could ever pick just ONE drummer as "the best" so I'm going to name the ones [b]I[/b] like best. Also, I'm going to do it for 2 different types of drummers. Only a few of these guys have been playing for fewer than 20 years, so I think the longevity factor is taken care of.

First, the "art rock/drums as a lead instrument" drummers. (not in any particular order.)

1, of course: Neil Peart
2: Carl Palmer
3: Bill Bruford
4: Keith Moon
5: Bonzo
6: Phil Ehart (Kansas)
7: John Panozzo (Styx - replacement Todd Suchermann is great too)
8: Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
9: Mike Portnoy
10: Alan White (Yes)
11: Phil Collins (the old Genesis years)

Now for "rhythm drummers"

1: Ringo Starr
2: Mick Fleetwood
3: Alex van Halen
4: Cozy Powell
5: Carmine Appice (almost every rock band around LOL)
6: Al Bouchard (BOC)
7: Mike Derosier (Heart)
8: Aynsley Dunbar (Journey, etc)
9: Steve Smith (Journey, etc)
10: Gil Moore (Triumph)
11: Bill Ward
12: Kenny Aronoff (John Mellencamp, etc)
13: Roger Taylor (Queen)

I'm sure I'll think of some more later, but that's enough for now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Rush's Niel Peart
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Can't believe no one said Phil Rudd...I don't know much of the technical part of rock music, but sometimes knowing NOT when to make noise makes you a great drummer.  He's sort of a minimalist I guess, and i like that.  Gotta also give props to Tommy Lee(asshole, but great drummer) and Lars Ulrich is also awesome.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#46]
I must agree with Samhain44 and Zoom in the fact that Dave Lombardo of Slayer is one of the best drummers "I" have heard.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Theres too many styles of drumming to single out an all time best list.  During the 80's/early 90's these drummers showed mucho technique and innovation:

lars - metallica
lombardo - slayer
clemente - anthrax
menza - megedeth
vinnie - pantera

Later in the 90's it became safe to groove again. these guys helped make it that way:

wilk - rage against the machine
silvaria - korn
vinnie - pantera

i mentioned vinnie twice because he straddled the movements.  

i can't say enough about how influential korns style was to 90's new school metal bands, or even todays.  even if he ripped off primus's drummers sound (piccalo snare, no reverb, funk style in a rock/metal context) he still brought it to the masses.  

most every new school metal band out there is in some shape or form a hybrid of korn, deftones, or rage against the machine.  
disturbed, alien ant farm, linkin park, the list goes on.....

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#48]
DRUMMERS:

Bun E. Carlos
Neil Peart
Ginger Baker
Steve Jordan
Ed Schenesey (sp)
Don Henley
Jim Keltner
Nicko Bain
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Neil Peart and Steve Smith. Steve is the drummer for Journey and most people thought of him as a stadium rock drummer. I saw him at a drum clinic in 98', he is phenominal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Maybe kinda old but have you guys heard "Moby Dick"?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top