Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 3:42:56 PM EDT

From Wikipedia:

Dim sum is the name of the Chinese cuisine involving a light meal served with Chinese tea. Dim sum cuisine consists of a wide spectrum of choices. It includes combinations of meat, seafood, vegetables, as well as desserts and fruit. The various items are usually served in a small steamer basket or on a small plate. Yum cha (literally "tea drinking") is the actual term used to describe the dining session, especially in contemporary Cantonese.

Since I no longer live close to any Chinese restaurants that serve dim sum, I starting making some of the dishes myself.  One of my favorite dishes is
siu mai:

It consists of a pork filling, often with shrimp, but other seafood can be used.  Soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and roasted sesame oil are added for flavor, and egg white is added to help hold it together.  

The wrap is usually made of wheat flour, but you can substitute won ton wraps because it saves a lot of time.  The won ton wraps are thicker than the wheat flour wraps but make an excellent substitute.  

One of the beauties of siu mai and other dim sum dishes is the ability to vary the contents according to your own taste.  For instance, I like to add a lot of chopped vegetables so I add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, carrots.  Cilantro adds a nice aroma that mixes well with the roasted sesame oil.

The ingredients together:

Chop up all the ingredients.  Here are water chestnuts:

Carrots:

Cilantro:

Shrimp:

Mix the ingredients by hand in a bowl.  I used the same ingredients in both bowls except for substituting scallops for shrimp:

The Won Ton wraps:

Oil up some cookie sheets.  This is important so the Won Ton wrappers’ exterior surface has a layer of oil.  This prevents them from sticking to the steaming baskets:

Put a tablespoon-full of the ingredients and put it in the middle of the wraps:

Fold up the edges:

Fill up the steaming basket.  Bamboo baskets can be used or metal ones.  The metal ones are easier to clean:

What’s very critical is to use a pot that is the same diameter as the steaming basket.  This ensures good steaming.  I use distilled water since you have less of a chance of adding other flavors from hard, sulfurous or chlorinated water:

I steam for a good 15-18+ minutes.   The dish has pork so you want to make sure it is well cooked:

Place on a plate:

Most people will use either soy sauce or hot oil as a dipping sauce, with some tea to wash it down.  I like chamomile tea but dim sum is often served with chrysanthemum tea:

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent, I will make some of that!
P.S. Great Pics, thanks for sharing that Lovely Creation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Now ya made me hungry.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
that is a fucking perfect 10!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i miss eating that
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Dim Sum fucking rules.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dim Sum fucking rules.

+1

Seeing this post makes me want to drive the four hours to a great dim sum place in D.C.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You can buy frozen Dimsum at some oriental markets. It actually taste pretty good.

They don't have dimsum in NH? are you in the boonies or something?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Nevermind.  I thought the thread title was "Dim Mak lovers rejoice".
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dim Sum fucking rules.
hells yeah!

I had it once in Chinatown here in Chicago with my sister and a bunch of people at teh office she worked for at the time as part of a company outing.  It was delicious!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Great post. Thanks. I need to go shopping to the Chinese grocery store this weekend
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can buy frozen Dimsum at some oriental markets. It actually taste pretty good.

They don't have dimsum in NH? are you in the boonies or something?

I lived in Boston for a year and used to go to a place called Chau Chow City in Chinatown about once a week.  There are places for it in NH but I haven't been yet.  I will check them out at some point.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Great post !  Thanks for the recipe !
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That is awesome! My favorites are the steamed BBQ pork buns, which I see you have.

Where did you get your dim sum recipes from?

The top picture is not mine.  I posted the link for it.  But as I posted above, I do make the pork buns completely from scratch.  They are one of my favorites too.

I bought this book:

But just googling recipes is very productive.  You can also find a lot of pictures.  The book above has drawings of the foods, not real pictures.  Still a great book.  .
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Distilled water? That's something I would do.

Looks great!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good thing I live 20 minutes away from Chinatown, Seattle.

I'm jealous.  I love the little carts they wheel around.  The variety of foods is amazing.

Question:  I used to eat a dessert that was a thick white gelatinous substance (get your minds out of the gutter) served warm in a bowl with a sweet syrup poured on top.  Anyone know what it's called?  I'd love to make it but I don't recall the name.  I'm sure I could google a recipe.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm jealous.  I love the little carts they wheel around.  The variety of foods is amazing.

Question:  I used to eat a dessert that was a thick white gelatinous substance (get your minds out of the gutter) served warm in a bowl with a sweet syrup poured on top.  Anyone know what it's called?  I'd love to make it but I don't recall the name.  I'm sure I could google a recipe.

sweet tofu dessert?

most people just buy it at asian grocery stores
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sweet tofu dessert?

www.michaelylee.com/photos/taiwan_hongkong/Day_03/sweet_tofu2.jpg

most people just buy it at asian grocery stores

Yes, that's what it is.  The problem is finding an Asian grocery store close by.  Actually, they must have some in Manchester, NH.

Thanks!  I love that stuff.  It's a very 'light' dessert.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
You magnificent bastard!  Good job.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
0/10, forgot the gun.

+1, but very nice nevertheless.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:44:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Haochi Jile!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:56:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Excellent!

Hey...Don't forget to invite us over for dinner.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
damm that looks good,  

my wife is asian and she can't even make instant noodles

My wife is a good cook but unfortunately spends little time doing it.  I do all the cooking around here.  But then I haven't touched a load of laundry in 6 years.  Quid pro quo
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, you're in NH.  Boston isn't far, and IMHO it has one of the best Chinatowns in the country.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent work!

Good food prep, quality photos & tasty results.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#25]
My mouth is salivating and my stomach is growling and fucking lunch is an an hour and a half away.  The hate, the hate.  

Very nice and authentic looking.  My compliments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top