Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 2:11:25 PM EDT
Anyone ever get these guys? They claim to be from the community and from a school and try to sell you subscriptions. They have come to my door twice and it is pretty obvious it is a scam. Been reading up on them and I guess there are whole groups of these kids and they travel around the country doing this scam.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What am I going to do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the mags AR or AK or what?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Scam, yes and no.

The ones we get are inner-city kids being bussed out to try to "work" as a part of a school program.

As my wife put it: school sponsered burglery scouting.

Note: the last batch was white kids from a church, same scam stuff tho.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
They came to my apartment right when school started. I live in a college town. They were "seniors at the local high school" who were supposedly having commision from the subscriptions sold put into a college fund for them.  I passed on making a purchase...then they tried to push a donation. Too bad I didnt have any cash on me...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup...

I HATE it when these guys show up at the door. This last one a few weeks ago was a real slick, fast-talkin' dood. I didn't even have time to get a word in edge-wise until his shpeel was all done. Then I looked at his list of mags and asked how much for "Field & Stream" for a year. It was like $56!!! I laughed and told him to pound sand. Was worried for a few days after that, that he'd come back to rob my house while I was at work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In before the "Here's what I do when Jehovah's Witnesses/LDS Missionaries show up at my door..." posts.

I must be unique in this, but I have never had either a Witness or a Mormon show up at my door.  We did use to get the little old Black ladies from the Bible church down the road from my old house. You'd look out the peephole and all you would see is a huge hat in front of the viewer.   I just went back to whatever I was doing, same as I do with any solicitor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't got the magazine salespeople this year, but I have had someone try to sell me some cleaning stuff here at my apartment.  The first time it was 2 black girls, the 2nd time it was 2 black guys.  I was going out when the first 2 girls got me, and tried to sell me that shit.  They wanted to come inside the house, I told them no.  The time the 2 guys came to the door I just looked through the blinds, and didn't open the door.  They had the same bottle with them.  However, after they came around, there have been some break ins.  I believe they were getting people to let them inside of their house, and would see what everyone had.  

I don't buy shit from any of them.  I entertain them for a bit, get them thinking I'm interested in the product, then tell them no, I'm broke.  Makes some of them pissed off, but I don't give a shit.

ETA:  Oh yeah, the cleaning stuff was concentrated, and in a spray bottle.  You got a whole years worth of cleaning stuff for $59.  All it was was some of that simple green or mean green or whatever that stuff is you can buy at Wal-Mart.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If there over 18 its a scam...
If they are under 18 they are fund raising for a school sports team...

j0hn
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd love to see someone going door to door selling gun magazines.

"Now, we have a buy six get the seventh free offer for the AK magazines, but not the AR's. Pistol magazines are buy two get one half off, and-"
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I haven't got the magazine salespeople this year, but I have had someone try to sell me some cleaning stuff here at my apartment.  The first time it was 2 black girls, the 2nd time it was 2 black guys.  I was going out when the first 2 girls got me, and tried to sell me that shit.  They wanted to come inside the house, I told them no.  The time the 2 guys came to the door I just looked through the blinds, and didn't open the door.  They had the same bottle with them.  However, after they came around, there have been some break ins.  I believe they were getting people to let them inside of their house, and would see what everyone had.  

I don't buy shit from any of them.  I entertain them for a bit, get them thinking I'm interested in the product, then tell them no, I'm broke.  Makes some of them pissed off, but I don't give a shit.

ETA:  Oh yeah, the cleaning stuff was concentrated, and in a spray bottle.  You got a whole years worth of cleaning stuff for $59.  All it was was some of that simple green or mean green or whatever that stuff is you can buy at Wal-Mart.  

I had something similar.  It was the same stuff and the woman even licked the bottle to show it was safe...  She said she didn't get a scholarship so she was selling this.  I thought that was odd since there seem to be lots of scholarships, especially for women of color.  She was friendly til I said no and then she muttered something and left.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
If you ever get someone saying they are from town selling magazines for school, ask them who the school mascot is, that busts them everytime
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont answer the door unless someone is expected.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was about 12 I had a guy come to the house when my parents weren't home.  He did the whole speech, inner city former gang member, saw his friend get his head blown off, etc.  I declined and told him to leave.  I then locked the door and called my parents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top