Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2007 2:10:37 PM EDT
Okay, its over. Who won? not who do you want to win, not who do you wish won. Who presented themselves in the best manner to win over likely republican primary voters.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
From the other thread, my humble debate rankings:
1. Rudy
2. Fred
3. Mitt
4. McCain
5. Huckabee
5a. Hunter
7. Tancredo
8. Brownback

9. Paul
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Aren't  you forgetting someone?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Agree, but only 5 options possible on polls.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
An afternoon debate?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not enough poll options for all the candidates.

RP came off as insane.

Fred came off as ill and fumbled some question bad. He's down to 21% in todays polls.

Rudy has really aged a lot and has that speech impediment. Not very presidential. Recall that the majority of the time in the general election the taller candidate wins. appearance matters alot to women voters.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a Fred-Head, but in my opinion Hunter won it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
were all the debates as weak as this one?  it's the first one I watched...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm a Fred-Head, but in my opinion Hunter won it.

Hunter did better than my man Tancredo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Fred still needs a bit more polishing and needs to look up when he speaks.

Rudy probably took this one, not on the issues, but presentation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Fred didn't do so great.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't watch it, and I'm looking for a video link.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Hunter did pretty well, although I disagree with him on most things

Rudy did very well, even though I disagree with him on most things

I think Romney won it though.  Yeah he doesn't answer questions, but he looks good and is quick with an answer.  Two very important qualities for good or ill.

Fred didn't do bad, but he didn't act like a front runner though.  Needs to calm down and command the stage.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think Romney won it though.  Yeah he doesn't answer questions, but he looks good and is quick with an answer.  Two very important qualities for good or ill.

Thats what i thought.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Fred was looking at the moderators.  They were seated.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, it's not even 3:30 yet here.

Nobody cares about the Far West any more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The nomination is often decided before California's primary.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know, but Ron Paul is on CNBC right now giving nut jobs a bad name!

'Cut the Trillions that we are spending to defend our global empire!'

'Our national defense is at it's weakest ever and we're setting ourselves up for another attack with our foreign policy!'
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, it is a Republican debate. Any chance of Cali going red this next election?

ETA: I don't know who won the debate, but I know who won page 2!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it is a Republican debate. Any chance of Cali going red this next election?

Hunter and Tancrdo are both very popular here. But they both will likely drop out before the Republican primary in Cali.

We did elect a RINO governor. So McCain, Rudy and Romney have a shot at taking cali in the genral election.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Will this be online somewhere?  I couldnt catch it on TV.

Why the heck would they put this on in the middle of the day?

rr
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#21]
DEARBORN, Mich. - Republican presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani clashed over tax and spending cuts Tuesday, each claiming greater commitment than the other in a debate in the nation’s struggling manufacturing heartland.

The government “is spending money of future generations and those yet to be born,” added Fred Thompson, making his debut on a debate stage after a late entry into the race. He said future retirees should receive smaller Social Security benefits than they have been promised.

After months of polite debate sparring, Giuliani and Romney squared off without hesitation, a reflection of their struggle for primacy in the race for their party’s presidential nomination.

“I cut taxes 23 times. I believe in tax cuts,” said Giuliani, former mayor of New York and leader in national Republican polls.

Romney initially conceded that, but quickly criticized his rival for once filing a court challenge to a law that gave President Clinton the right to veto spending items line by line. “I’m in favor of the line-item veto,” he said, adding he exercised it 844 times while governor of Massachusetts.

Romney also said that while mayor, Giuliani “fought to keep the commuter tax, which is a very substantial tax ... on consumers coming into New York.”

The former governor leads his rivals in the polls in Iowa, where caucuses will be the first contest of the campaign, and he and Giuliani are in a close race in surveys in New Hampshire, the leadoff primary state.

Romney to Giuliani: 'It's baloney'
Giuliani responded that spending fell in New York while he was mayor and rose in Massachusetts while Romney was governor.

“The point is that you’ve got to control taxes. I did it, he didn’t. ... I led, he lagged.”

“It’s baloney,” retorted Romney. “I did not increase taxes in Massachusetts. I lowered taxes.”

The exchange was among the most heated of the campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, reflecting a quickening pace as the 2008 caucuses and primaries draw close.

It also left Thompson, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and the other contenders as something of bystanders for the several moments that Romney and Giuliani went at one another.

All nine of the men on stage sought to stress their conservative economic credentials throughout the two-hour debate, held in the city that gave birth to the Ford Motor Co. more than a century ago.

McCain: 'Get wasteful spending under control'
McCain of Arizona said President Bush was right to veto a children’s health expansion bill, and he urged him to reject a multibillion-dollar public works measure as well.

“We’ve got to get wasteful spending under control,” he said.

“We have to get spending under control,” agreed Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback. No matter whether Republicans or Democrats are in control of Congress, he said, “the system is built to spend.”

Challenged to identify one government account he would cut, Brownback cited a program involving “advanced technology.”

“If you want to control federal spending you must look at Social Security and Medicare,” said Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado. He said he favors private Social Security accounts, or “forget the idea of ending deficit spending.”

Thompson said that without changes, Social Security would not survive. He said there should be no change for current retirees and those expected to begin drawing benefits soon. But for those retiring further in the future, benefits should not be allowed to rise as quickly as now expected...

...While maneuvering against one another, the Republicans found a minute or two to jab at Democrats.

Giuliani criticized Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Democratic presidential front-runner, for a proposal to provide tax cuts of up to $1,000 to help families open 401(k) retirement accounts.

“Hillary is filled with endless ways to spend. We’re going to have to control that,” he said.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
fox news is giving it to rudy.

get ready folks, 08 is the year of the libtard gun grabbers

I hope you are wrong (but I don't really believe that you are).
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So is AR15.com. I dont know what they saw, I must have missed it. I though Romney came acrossed much more polished.

Cant stand either of them but debates are all about presentation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Dunno what to say.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Dunno what to say.

did you watch it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I cant believe that 9 people think that Tancredo won.  He's a one issue candidate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I cant believe that 9 people think that Tancredo won.  He's a one issue candidate.

Same here. He's my candidate but there is no way he won that debate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't know, but Ron Paul is on CNBC right now giving nut jobs a bad name!

'Cut the Trillions that we are spending to defend our global empire!'

'Our national defense is at it's weakest ever and we're setting ourselves up for another attack with our foreign policy!'

Yeah, and the ron-bots said he wouldn't cut the military, and he's not an isolationist...

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why should we care who the media likes?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont confuse winning a debate with likeing a candidate. They are not the same thing. you least favorite candidate is capable of winning a debate. That is if you are honest about it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because, like it or not, the media controls to a very large extent how the uninformed voting public perceives a candidate.  "We" should care because it is our duty to sway those who only get their information on such matters from Katie Couric, Bill O'Reilly, et al.  To be effective in this endeavor, we must first know the what perceptions are being created.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Who won?

1. Hunter. By far!! I really wish this guy had more support as he has good things to say, and has great ideas. He's truly for America, speaks with conviction and even looks presidential. He reminds me a little of Ronald Reagan.

2. Huckabee. Huck is well spoken and likable. He is soundly pro second amendment. Huckabee probably has the best shot of the lesser knowns. His personality shines through and he is contagiously optimistic.  Best of all he is not a Washington insider and is very credible in his debate performance.

3. Paul. While I don't agree with him on everything, he has great info and tells it like it is. He is passionate about the issues and I have to laugh when the media folks continually try to shut him up - they hate him that much (this can't be a bad thing).

4. Brownback. Kind of plain vanilla, but is well spoken and good on the issues.

5. Rudy. Can't stand the guy - I did this and that in NY.... yada yada yada.... but he has the debate performance down pat. Smooth talking politician...

6. Thompson. He got off to a shaky start, but seemed to get more comfortable through the debate. Fred is the only so called front runner than I would consider voting for, but he needs to step up the energy level and get dynamic...

7. Romney. This guy is such a slick smooth talker he should be in advertising. The problem is everything about him screams "bullshit artist!" He just isn't credible as his positions are all over the place.  The talking to attorney's comment was stupid.

8. Tancredo. I really like what he has to say, but I've watched every Republican debate so far (even the internet only ValueVoters.org debate) and he just doesn't look comfortable speaking. He stumbles too much. It's a shame because he's right on the money with the immigration issue.

8. McCain. I really think this guy has lost it. He rambles and rants and his answers aren't focused. I can't believe any conservative would even consider voting for him after McCain/Feingold and his full court press to give amnesty to all the illegals.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dunno what to say.

did you watch it?

Got bits and pieces of it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'm afraid you're right.

While I'm a big Thompson supporter, I think that my early predictions regarding the GOP strategy and Giuliani are coming true.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't see the debates, but the talking heads were arguing how well Rudy, Mitt and Fred did.

Didn't hear any mention of Huckabee until this thread.

I tried to check out his website, but it is getting slammed, so apparently, lot's of other people thought he did pretty well, too...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I watched it for a second time. At first I thought Thompson came off as bungling and weak, with the exception of the topic of the devalued dollar I think he did better than we originally thought. We expected him to shoot lightening bolts out of his ass. However the wife (who only saw the 9pm showing) thought he did a good job and that everyone else either came off as nuts (ie Ron Paul) or slick and lacking substance (see Rudy/Romney)

Thompson came off as generally positive but at the same time is realistic and isn't burying his head in the sand. I hope that he doesn't get any negative press, holds ground and fixes what went wrong for the next debate.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, the few sound bites I heard of Fred in the debates were very disappointing.

If he doesn't get his crap in order right now, then Rudy or Mitt will get the nomination, and I'll vote 3rd party.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'll vote 3rd party.
Oh come on, why not just vote for Hilary and get it over with then.

Sheshhhh
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I watched it for a second time.

You're a glutton for punishment. I'll waite for the next debate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Of all the candidates, I think Fred would make the best President.  His manner is thoughtful and measured.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be playing well with the majority, who seem to prefer sharp quips and stylish sound-bytes.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I think Huckabee is very well spoken and does a good job.  Tancredo has a lot of good to say, but just can't get it said.  Hunter says all the right things, but he's the guy that you ask "what's his name again?"

I can't stand Rudy McRomney, and Fred is the man.  I could do a Fred/Hunter or Fred/Huckabee ticket.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Of all the candidates, I think Fred would make the best President.  His manner is thoughtful and measured.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be playing well with the majority, who seem to prefer sharp quips and stylish sound-bytes.  
I don't know.  My wife said "I could listen to Fred speak for hours".  She isn't apolitical, but she isn't as into it as I am and she said it.  People these days are craving blunt honesty.  I think it might play out.  How it fairs to those who are moderates who don't pay attention until the final weeks who knows.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I watched it for a second time.

You're a glutton for punishment. I'll waite for the next debate.
I am a political junky.  I can't help it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know.  My wife said "I could listen to Fred speak for hours".  She isn't apolitical, but she isn't as into it as I am and she said it.  People these days are craving blunt honesty.  I think it might play out.  How it fairs to those who are moderates who don't pay attention until the final weeks who knows.

I hope you're right about people craving honesty.  It's easy for me to imagine Fred addressing the nation, "My fellow Americans...".  I have trouble picturing any of the others doing so.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I think Giuliani won by everyone else's standards but Thompson did well. He's not lacking energy or passion. The way he spoke during the debate is flat out the way he talks, period. Aside from fumbling the weak dollar question, I think Fred did just fine. My support for him was renewed after this debate now that he's put more substance to his campaign and we're not just relying on his announcement speech.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Where can I watch this ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fred was looking at the moderators.  They were seated.

I bet the position was set like that just to make them appear to be looking down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top