Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:40:52 PM EDT
Suppose you were able to travel back in time and take a video recorder with you to film an event firsthand, what would it be?

I imagine a popular one might be the crucifixion of Christ.  I think I might choose to film the battle of Zama, leading to Hannibal's first defeat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
4 words

Bill Clinton, Oval Office!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
the debates leading to to the signing of the constitution, and get their real thoughts on the amendments, in particular the 2nd

ETA: cant spell for sheet
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thomas Paine giving it to two strumpets doggy style.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest would be an interesting one.

Battle of Hastings would probably be second...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What Alexander really said on his death bed (Who gets the kingdom)

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Hitler killing himself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The Pentagon and WTC on Sept 11th so I don't have to read about another fucking  conspricay on the net.  Probably wouldn't work because some nut would clainm it was fake.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The Resurrection.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
D Day.

Most of the picture taken that day were accidently destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The Last Supper...
Saddams execution...
The battle of Thermophylae...I really want to know how was Leonidas, and Xerxes.
The arrival of Christopher Colombus (Cristoforo Colombo) to North America...

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The giant asteroid that hit 65 million years ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I am not concerned with the Crucifixion. The Resurrection is where its at and where 'faith' comes in.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
the signers opinion on the second would be real good...

Area 51 crash just so people would stop saying it's a government conspiracy
JFK assassination just to clear all that crap up
Massacre of that coward Custer
Film the moon studio that brought us that bs video ( lol we really did go there fyi )
Adam and Eve with that apple
Noah's Ark must've been a sight

more than one but idc
j0hn

+1 to Billy in the oval office
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
my serious response would be the bombing in Dresden during WWII

j0hn
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I like the way you think.  If you are going to go, go big.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Hillary shooting Vince Foster.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#17]
This one is easy.

1812, Napoleons march on Moscow.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The signing of The Declaration of Independence.  Given our place on the world stage, it is the most important event in modern history.

The ratification of the US Constitution.

Naval battles of the Revolution and the early days of our Navy.

Lewis and Clarks expidition.

Gettysburg Address.

Surrender at Appomadox Courthouse

Landing at Plymouth Rock

Washington crossing the Delaware river.

The encampment at Valley Forge of his army.

So many things that would be spectacular to see.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Alexander Hamilton vs Aaron Burr
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The battle of Thermopylae.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Last night's 10 o'clock news....from a slightly different angle!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
The Battle of Yorktown

Gettysburg

Signing of the declaration of Independance

Gettysburg Address

Battle of Berlin
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I would go back to the dawn of the earth, place a camera in in orbit (an indestructible, trillion-fitopixel camera), and record the evolution of life on Earth.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
4 words

Bill Clinton, Oval Office!

Monica Lewinsky, Blowing Bill  

The last thing I want to see is some homely heifer giving flabby bill's twinkie a tongue bath.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

true but it would be suicide
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I am not concerned with the Crucifixion. The Resurrection is where its at and where 'faith' comes in.

+1, although I'd like to be there for the birth. Nutballs always come up with the "He didn't really die on the cross. He rested for 3 days in the tomb and when He felt better, He came out" theory. Of course, the birth can be disputed by the non-religious too. Maybe Jesus performing a miracle on video would be in order!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#30]
+1 for the Battle of Thermopylae, the 65 million year ago impact, and all of the historical things from the birth of our nation.  

I would want to film some dinosaurs, and probably the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with better cameras, like we have today.  The Mt. St. Helens eruption would be good to film, as well as other historic eruptions such as Pompeii and Tambora, and the different Yellowstone eruptions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Christ's Life.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

true but it would be suicide

Not if you filmed from a high enough orbit.  That would be the only way to get the whole thing in view anyway. However lots of remote cameras mounted on the surface from many different angles would be great.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#34]
The building of the great pyramids
The burning of the Whitehouse
Thermopylae
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
                                                                                            Currently holding `most brilliant statement ` position in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Suppose you were able to travel back in time and take a video recorder with you to film an event firsthand, what would it be?

I imagine a popular one might be the crucifixion of Christ.  I think I might choose to film the battle of Zama, leading to Hannibal's first defeat.

The Christ one would be interesting, especially the resurrection.  I think a lot of people would be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Assassination of Julius Caesar.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#38]
The moment that janet 'baby burner of Waco' reno and hitlery rottenham clinturd sired chelsea.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Building of the Sphinx and pyramids

The Knights Templar excavating Solomons temple

The British surrendering at Yorktown

The first cave man that MADE fire

Lee and Grant at Apomatox
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Christ's Life.

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Christ's Life.

+1

It would be like "The Truman Show"
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Babe Ruth's "called shot" - what really happened?  The grainy footage doesn't offer proof.

The Battle of Cannae, in which Rome lost 50,000 men dead in a single day (although seeing tens of thousands of humans butchered in a few hours might not be something I could actually watch)

The Wright Bros first flight

Marilyn Monroe loses her virginity

And here's one really big and really far back:  the theorized collision between the Earth and another planetoid that may have led to the formation of the Moon.  KA-POW!

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

And here's one really big and really far back:  the theorized collision between the Earth and another planetoid that may have led to the formation of the Moon.  KA-POW!

Ooh, good one. While we're at it, why not the "Big Bang" Granted, that would be impossible to film.  Way too energetic and no camera would possibly survive.  The footage would be an instantaneous transition from a black screen, to a nearly incalculable small fraction of a milisecond of white screen, to nothing. (Probably, given that the big bang actually occured, since it is THEORY at this point.)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Santa Anna during and after the Battle of San Jacinto.  

"Santa Anna had disappeared during the battle, and next day General Houston ordered a thorough search of the surrounding territory for him. In the afternoon Sergeant J. A. Sylvester spotted a Mexican slipping through the woods toward Vince's Bayou. Sylvester and his comrades caught the fugitive trying to hide in the high grass. He wore a common soldier's apparel round jacket, blue cotton pantaloons, skin cap and soldier's shoes. [With Sylvester in the capture of Santa Anna were Joel W. Robison, Joseph D. Vermillion, Alfred H. Miles and David Cole.] They took the captive to camp, and on the way, Mexican prisoners recognized him and cried, "El Presidente!" Thus his identity was betrayed; it was indeed the dictator from below the Rio Grande. He was brought to General Houston, who lay under the headquarters oak, nursing his wounded foot. The Mexican President pompously announced, "I am General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, and a prisoner of war at your disposition." General Houston, suffering with pain, received him coldly. He sent for young Moses Austin Bryan and Lorenzo de Zavala Jr. to act as interpreters. Santa Anna cringed with fright as the excited Texas soldiers pressed around him, fearing mob violence. He pleaded for the treatment due a prisoner of war. "You can afford to be generous," he whined; "you have captured the Napoleon of the 'West." "What claim have you to mercy?" Houston retorted, "when you showed none at the Alamo or at Goliad?" They talked for nearly two hours, using Bryan, de Zavala and Almonte as interpreters. In the end Santa Anna agreed to write an order commanding all Mexican troops to evacuate Texas. Later, treaties were signed at Velasco, looking to the adjustment of all differences and the recognition of Texas independence. Thus ended the revolution of 1836, with an eighteen-minute battle which established Texas as a free republic and opened the way for the United States to extend its boundaries to the Rio Grande on the southwest and to the Pacific on the west. Few military engagements in history have been more decisive or of more far-reaching ultimate influence than the battle of San Jacinto."

The Capture of Santa Anna  

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Building of the Sphinx and pyramids

The Knights Templar excavating Solomons temple

The British surrendering at Yorktown

The first cave man that MADE fire

Lee and Grant at Apomatox

Good one.

More 'Aha!" moments:

Like the look on the face of the guy or gal who first looked over a seed and realised he could plant it on purpose to grow more grain.

The first hominid to bang two rocks together and realize he was making a tool.

The first encounter between Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens.

More great battles:

Chalon, France (Gaul) -- Romans and Franks repel the Huns

Tours, France (Gaul) -- Charles Martel defeats Islamists

Human Events

Julius Caesar unrolls the gift of a carpet and out rolls Cleopatra

Human sacrifice at an Aztec or Mayan temple

Nero playing his lyre while Rome burned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top