Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2007 9:09:59 PM EDT
In the past 5 years, I have purchased some very nice firearms that mean quite a bit to me, but the one that means the most sits on a lower shelf and only gets removed to be wiped down occasionally. It's not an expensive and finely crafted gun, but it means the world to me. It's a little Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 revolver with 4 5/8 inch barrel. On the side of the barrel, it is engraved with "To Matt from Mom" and was given to me on December 23rd, 1995 by my mother, when I was 15 years old. Twenty-six days later, my mother lost her battle with cancer, and I lost a huge part of my life. That little gun was a stretch for my parents to afford that year, after my mom had been sick for almost a year, and we were living off Dads salary. It means more to me than any other gun I own, or ever will own. I will never part with it.

Let's hear about the gun you own that means the most to you.

Edit: Subject stolen from a thread on the S&W Forum. I was so interested, I thought I'd bring it here.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
My M1 Garand.  Its very low serialed and was made in Feb. 1941 which is cool cuz I was also born in February.  It was from the CMP on the Greek issue program so theres probably a fair chance that it was used in the war, it was pretty beat up stock-wise.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My 4" 686.  It was the 1st handgun I ever purchased.  Plus it is 100% wheel gun beautiful!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
1974 Browning Citori.

It was my dads.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
My FAL. It's the only weapon of mine that I've built. I had lusted after one ever since seeing them used in the Falklands War back in the early 80s. 25+ years later and I finally have one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
My winchester 1200.  It was the first centerfire firearm that I could actually call mine.  My dad gave it to me when I was 13, and for my 14th birthday he bought me a 10 shot extension for it.  It shoots so smooth and true, I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I absolutely love that gun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My first custom gun is my most prized. It's a Colt/Sako L579 action I had built into a wonderfull hunting rifle in 308 with a Swarovski 3-10x. That's one I'll never give up.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My Grandfathers IBM M1 Carbine he purchased from the DCM program in the 60's. No contest.

A close second would be my Great grandmothers Winchester 1892 .38-40. that rifle in her hands killed several deer, two outlaw bikers and one shasta trailer house. It still has the evidence control number electric pencilled into the receiver, ruining the resale value of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
3 way tie, either,

My grandfather's old 38/44 Outdoorsman(predacessor to the 357Mag) that was made during the 1950s and I inherited, a revolver I've come to be able to shoot remarkably well.   My grandfather was a WWII Veteran and died when I was in the 7th-8th grade, I bet I'd have a lot in common with him had I gotten to know him better.

That one revolver has spawned an entire collection of blued N-frame revolvers and the collection will surely grow as I get older.

Next up, probably my varmint rifle a custom AR15 that is 100% purpose built for squirrel slaying.   After that probably my AR10 A4 which is finally nearly complete, only thing left is a 20-22 inch PacNor match grade barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
My Browning BAR .30 06.  I inherited it from my Grandfather.  He bought it new in 1971.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My 45-70 Co-Pilot.

I have spent more on others but this one is the one I cherish the most and is the one that can do the most for where I live.

If I could only carry just one, then this is the one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Given to me by my grandfather...  What he said to me when he gave me the rifle showed that he was proud of what I'd become.  That gives this firearm more sentimental value than any other I own.

1893 manufacture:

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 3

First is a H&R single shot break action 12-gauge, was the first gun that was offical "mine" - had it since i was 12

2nd, My grandfather's Wincherster Model 94 30/30, dated 1950, he shot many a deer with that gun, and it was given to me after my grandfather, and uncle passed away

3rd, A CMP Garand that I got about 10 years ago, my father and I both got one back when they were cheap and quality, my grandfater was a Marine in WWII and always used to rave about the Garand, so my father and I each got one planning on giving him one, well he passed away a week before they showed up, and now everytime I look at that gun I remember his stories
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger MK1

I've owned it longer than any other in my collection (over thirty years).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
HK MK23 SOCOM.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The Ruger Vaquero my wife gave me for a birthday a few years ago. The fact that it was stolen and returned only adds to it's "specialness".
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Notice that many of the answers are family heirlooms. Who knew AR15.com was such a sentimental bunch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
My M1 Carbine my grandfather gave me from WW2.

He also gave me a German Mauser that I like.  The gun ways a ton compared to the carbine.

What bums me is that as a kid I lost the bayonet for the carbine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#18]
This is THE GUN that started my fascination and hobby. That damn 80s tv show... There was a Bren Ten dealer in the city I lived in. Dad and I went to buy one, but you had to order, and he has absolutely zero patience. Took me 23 years to finally pull the trigger. One is unfired and all original...

The other "slightly" modified.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Two way tie.  Definitely my first firearm, a .22 chipmunk, which I gave to my nieces and nephew, and hope to get back someday, and my first handgun, a SA Operator. I got it used with 200 rds, a custom fitted slide, for $500.  I did all the homework, found what caliber I wanted, and what gun, and paid for it all with my own $.  Will never part with either of those (permanently at least).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine is a Marlin lever-action Model 39-A, serial number 640.  No date code or any of that, just 640.  I got the rifle as a teenager (don't even remember where) and gave it to my dad as a fathers day present in 1990.  He never fired a round through it and gave it back to me at Thanksgiving last year.  The surface is pitted and a little rusted, obviously having been stored in a damp environment for years, though the wood is in excellent condition, and the barrel, miraculously, is unscathed.  My son and I love to shoot that gun at the range, it's as accurate as any .22 I own.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably my Mossberg 590 Marinecote. It's the gun that I've had the longest.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
My M-1 Garand.  My father purchased it from the Government when I was about 6 or 7.  It was the same type of rifle that he was issued in the 82nd AIRBORNE.  My father didn't smile a whole lot but when he opened that box....he was a little kid again.  The sad part is he passed away before he had a chance to shoot it.  Now 21 years later it is in my possession and IS the most valuable thing that I own or will ever own.  Also....I have never shot it.
Pete  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Sheesh, that's a hard choice.  My Dad's WWII 45.  My Dad's favorite gun, his TC Contender.  My first gun, a Marlin model 57 lever action 22 rifle.  The first gun I ever bought with my own money, a Ruger Standard Auto, a S&W pre model 27 that belonged to a good friend of mine given to me by his widow.  My first centerfire pistol, an FN Browning High Power.

Problem is, when you're 50 and have been shooting since you were 8 years old, there's a lot of those guns in your safe.  Picking one from them is not an easy task.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
20ga A-5
My dad gave it to me
It was his for about 20 years before i got it
was my first "real" gun  after getting the .410 and 22lr
Its Belgium made but it sure is not pretty I used the shit out of it
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine would be my New England 410 shotgun.  It's only a single shot and it's not good for much more than a rabbit or squirrel, but it was the first gun my dad bought me (other than a Daisy).  I think I was 10 when I got it...maybe 11.

I'll never get rid of it or the Remington Speedmaster .22 that he got for me around the same time.  Damn I burned some .22 through that thing.  I couldn't load it fast enough!

In an attempt to pay him back for...
1) buying me a few guns and thousands of rounds
2) taking the time to teach me to shoot
3) beginning an addiction that could surely put me in the poor house if left unchecked

...I bought him a Vaquero in 45Colt a while back.  From what I hear that is his favorite gun.  I'm happy about that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#27]
The m1 Garand and 1873 Springfield Trapdoor rifles that my Dad bought me on my 24th birthday.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
my winchester model 61 my dad "gave" me when i was 5...

my brother who is 2.5 years younger than me got one when he was 5 as well...

we both still have them at 29 and 27 and will until we pass them on to our kids and grandkids...

the funny thing is...they are at my parents house in dad's safe...they belong to us but he hasnt let us have them yet! hahahaha we both live in apartments etc and are semi unsettled...both have other guns, so no reason we couldnt bring them home if we wanted to...i dont guess either of us has ever asked because, atleast for me, it is still a pretty cool thing to let dad hang on to em for us.

besides...both are in good serial number ranges and are both in 95%+ condition...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Stainless S&W 66 and CMP 1903A3 springfield given to me by mom. 21st Birthday and Christmas presents respectively. I have lots more stuff, but whenever I see those, I think of her.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#30]
My SBR Krinkov in my avatar
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#31]
No family heirlooms for me to be proud of, my parents/grandparents had to leave  everything in Cuba when they came in the early 60's.

But I am starting it over again for my son.  I have his grandfathers revolver, First thing he purchased when he came to the US and my pride and joy is already in my will for him ...  

Its my pride and joy because it was my first build and my favorite to shoot... The AR of course ...

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
The .357 I got when my father passed away.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#33]
The Mfourgery

Its actually gotten in the way of me using it as I intended.  I am so afraid of it being stolen I carry it far less than I intended to before I got it.

Maybe if I got a spare?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#34]
My Beretta 92FS. I helped my dad pick it out when i was 13. It was a fun gun to shoot and i liked the style. Also did my first trigger job on it. My dad gave it to for my 21st B-day. And i used it for CCW. I also carried a Beretta M9 in the Air Force. Great weapon and never had a jam in the 11 years of shooting it. I'm never going to sell this pistol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#35]
It's a firearm I do not own but I hope to one day.  It is the Browning auto shotgun that my dad owns, that was also his dads.  It was the shotgun that as a small kid scared the crap out of me -- it would have to kick like a mule, right?  Well it did, a little, but I overcame that fear and learned to shoot it when my dad would take us kids around to local turkey shoots.

My others that mean a lot include my M1917 rife.  Nothing special about it, except that when it was rebuit at the Ogden arsenal during WW2, it was inspected by Elmer Keith.  I just always thought that was cool.  

Then there is my MAK90.  Ummm... yeah how many of use loved "Red Dawn" as kids?  I watched that movie hundres of times.  My MAK was one of the first guns that I bought for myself (and that I didnt turn around and sell).

My Kimber 1911.  Dad bought it for me, when they first hit the gunshop shelves, because he thought I needed a quality 1911 to carry.  

Finally there is my AR, its just like everyone else's AR.  But, it seems like its my first "real" gun.  Its the first time I didnt buy a surplus rifle, and it has nothing to do with reenacting or living history and I built it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Model 50 Winchester featherweight shotgun. It was my dads, he had it as far back as I can remember.
I'm 43 now and he's gone, and the shotty brings back many memories.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Marlin Mod 70 22lr.

My first gun. I saved up my own hard earned money at the ripe age of 12 and bid for it at an auction with my father. Some say I paid to much for it. But, that $80 I spent on that day was just the key to opening up the door for a life long firearm addiction.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Browning Buckmark Carbine with a Tactical Solutions barrel.

I had one, it was my favorite gun ever. Then, some shitstain broke into my place while I went down south for my grandfather's funeral and took almost every gun I had. I was just crushed because the barrels are very rare, only about 20 made and half of them weren't muzzle threaded like mine was. About 6 months past with nary a peep on my stolen guns when an ARFCOMer IM'd me to say that he had a nearly identical setup to mine that he was selling, remembered my story and wanted to offer it to me first for what he had in it.

It was the best birthday present ever.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#39]
The Savage pump action .30-30 that my beloved grandfather gave me when I was about to start hunting.

My son inherited it this deer season, and so the torch is passed. I hope to one day see it passed to his son.

My 16 Gauge Ithaca Sweet Sixteen is a close second. That one stays with me until they wrap me in my shroud,
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#40]
My .270 that my dad gave me when I turned 10.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#41]
AR-15A2 I built myself. It's my first (and only) gun so I don't know if that counts. But it means a lot to me because it was the first firearm I've ever been able to own and kinda signals a new era of me being old enough to buy guns as well as being able to purchase something that expensive without graduation money or gifts. It was my own hard earned money and time that went into that purchase and even if I end up with more sentimental guns that one will always have a special place. Now, if I could only shoot it, but thats another story.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:32:23 AM EDT
[#42]
My Ruger "Flat Top" remodeled by Hamilton Bowen.

I'd sent it off to him for some work while I was on my first "post-divorce" vacation with my son. It was the first special thing we'd done together as father and son. I was married to a verbally abusive woman who went out of her way to make my every waking moment miserable. She always found ways to keep our son away from me. As I told the courts during the divorce he was "kidnapped in our own home".

This gun represented a fresh start and a promising new relationship with my young son.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#43]
my custom ar10,  its incredble reliable, stupidly accurate and makes shooting stuff far away easy

it may not have the history as some guns but to me its fun to shoot and i built it myself
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
An old flintlock musket which made the journey from South Carolina to Texas with my great-great-great Grandfather, its called a Kentucky long rifle according to an expert it was hand made in Kentucky or West Virginia in the early 1800's. Some of the parts used were supposedly from a British Brown Bess rifle likely captured/recovered from the Revolutionary War. Don't have the heart to shoot it.

My Grandpa had a pretty big collection. I kept a 1897 Winchester 12 guage, early Model 70, and an old Springfield 73 trapdoor .45-70. In addition my brother kept an early Colt single action revolver, an early model 1911, and a Garand. I really enjoy shooting those old guns, for me it's mainly there meaning, they put alot of food on the table or were used to protect my family.

You MUST post pics.....please!  Give this history buff something to drool over!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't believe you guys.

My firearms are like CHILDREN!

I love them ALL the SAME!

Sheeesh!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#46]

My Grandpa gave me both a Winchester lever action .30-30 and also a bolt action Japaneese rifle that he took on his way home from WWII.

I'd sell everything I own and starve to death before I sell either of those weapons.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#47]
WhileI like all my guns, I think the one I am most proud of is the one I gave away.........a Springfield M-1 Garand made in 1944. My father served in the Army, and he was issued an M-1 during basic and while on active, and I gave it to him because he carried one........he wont ever get rid of it  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#48]

I have an M1 Garand that is my favorite for several reasons.  It is a WW2 Garand that was probably used in the European theatre, and was then loaned to the Danish army after the war.  So it's meaningful because it
(1) Is a WW2 Garand with possible great history
(2) Was used in the Danish army, meaning there's a ridiculously tiny chance it was THE Garand I was issued when I was a recruit.
(3) It has an awesome VAR barrel in it, that shoots superbly.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#49]
We lost all of my grandfather's guns in Katrina, so there's not going to be any family heirlooms for me either.  On the other hand, I had Steve over at Tom Sawyer Mfg. make a lower for me, which eventually grew into this:

Of course, just after he finished the lower his business went tits up, so there won't be much chance of getting another made, which makes this gun kind of unique.  Since the above pics, I've made a few minor changes, and this is the rifle in it's current form:

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Probably the M1 carbine my dad gave me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top