Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 8:59:59 PM EDT
For AFROTC, we are still wearing the BDU. I am a new cadet and was not informed that we do not starch our uniforms while ironing. I used a bit of starch and now I have about 2 or 3 shiny spots on the outside that look unfavorable.

I have just received word about 20 minutes ago that there will be BDU inspection Tuesday (my fellow cadets received the same short notice). How can I get rid of these shiny spots?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Wash and reiron.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Wet rag and some elbow grease. Next time spray a little further away and don't blob it on. Spray thin coats repeat if necessary.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I never heard of starch being avoided. Everyone used it when I was active duty.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
One of two things has happened, one is you did not let the starch dry long enough. As stated above wash and re-iron

The other, which is bad news, is that you had the iron set too hot and melted the fabric. This happens with blended uniform material. Check the tags to see what it's made from. If it's not 100% cotton then this may be the case. There is nothing your can really do to reverse it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude the shiny spots are no big deal.

I often had the best uniforms in my squadron when I was in the AF.  I used to soak both my top and bottoms with a whole can of starch, hang them in the shower, and the next morning they would almost stand up on their own.  Then the next morning I would spray starch on the crease areas while I was ironing.  They would be so stiff that I HAD to spray a little more to get them wet and to loosen up enough, or else they were difficult to crease.

Seriously.  Unless you used some kind of weird starch and the shiny is really really fucked up, its no big deal.  One trick you can use in the future is to starch them the night before.  Then the next day, if you want to put on a little while ironing, spray it on the inside instead of the outside.

The only difficulty with the way I used to do it is that when you spray it on right before ironing, you get white flakes.  They can be brushed off though.

YMMV, but everybody I ever knew who took the time to starch their BDU's good and stiff in the AF had a little bit of shiny spots.  Usually all of my creases would be a little bit shinier then the rest of the uniform.

If you really want them gone, try soap and water.  You might have to wash them.  I don't think its a big deal, but YMMV.  I used to put a SHITLOAD of starch on my uniforms, and you really had to look close, in just the right light, to see the shininess.

I don't think it detracts from the uniform IMO.  YMMW
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of water, and then some steam to dry them back out.  

ETA:  Thank God for the ABU, my starching and pressing days are behind me.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
starch negates the infrared resistance of the BDU fabric.

Wash + re-iron.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ironing?  Starch?  WTF is that???
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to turn the sleeves inside out and get them real wet with starch. Kept from getting shiny spots but made for great creases.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#10]
just wake the asshole up and tell him to sleep somewhere that isn't your bed

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
just wake the asshole up and tell him to sleep somewhere that isn't your bed

And ask about dropping out of the electoral college
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For AFROTC, we are still wearing the BDU. I am a new cadet and was not informed that we do not starch our uniforms while ironing. I used a bit of starch and now I have about 2 or 3 shiny spots on the outside that look unfavorable.

I have just received word about 20 minutes ago that there will be BDU inspection Tuesday (my fellow cadets received the same short notice). How can I get rid of these shiny spots?

Alright, first thing is first. In the future, use StayFlo rather than starch.

Second - shiny spots are okay, just avoid the little white chips. You need to let the starch absorb into the material for a few minutes, and then use a hankerchief between your iron and the BDU.

Remember, don't forget the collar. Make it nice and flat.

Use your summer BDUs if you want really sharp creases. Winter ones really don't keep the edge, although they do stay flatter overall if you don't iron either.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I used to turn the sleeves inside out and get them real wet with starch. Kept from getting shiny spots but made for great creases.

Now THAT is a good idea! Still got a bunch of BDUs myself, just haven't had much time to maintain em' lately.

Does it prevent the starch from turning white/flaky?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT is a good idea! Still got a bunch of BDUs myself, just haven't had much time to maintain em' lately.

Does it prevent the starch from turning white/flaky?

The best method for me (always starched my own) is to get them hot out of the dryer and hit them with a mix of 50/50 stay-flo and water.  Soak them down pretty good along the creases.  Let them dry completely and then iron them, while they are still hot from the iron (lots of steam with distilled water) hit them again with the stay-flo/water mix.  Let it soak in and make sure when you run your hand over them it doesn't come away wet.  Hit them again with the iron and steam and they are good to go.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Wash uniforms...

Hang and drip dry... ( prevents color fade)

Starch is optional...I never use it. Put iron on high and fill with water...use lots of steam to press the uniform.

Shine boots and go to work.

NEVER use starch on the new ABU's.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Let it dry before ironing otherwise it will turn white and flaky.  When in AIT I used to spray straight stay flo on my winter BDUs and let it dry, it would be to the point where it would stand sideways on the hanger; then I would steam press it.  Sounds like a brown paper bag walking down the road, but it looked sharp.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wash uniforms...

Hang and drip dry...

Starch is optional...I never use it. Put iron on high and fill with water...use lots of steam to press the uniform.

Shine boots and go to work.

NEVER use starch on the new ABU's.

Well duh. But you better believe I creased the holy hell out of the stripes (no starch though) before I had them sewn on.  I also made sure they sewed them on perfectly matched up to the permanent press creases.  They still look great many washings later.  The guys with the super flat stripes on them look like crap IMO.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top