BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:23:09 PM EDT
Cops hassle guy for open carrying in NH

They bust the girl scouts, though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I am all for CCW for citizens.  I do not know the law in NH, however, if that had happened in the state I work (In.) I most certainly would have arrested him for refusal to identify. He could have been anyone, as far as the officer was concerned.  As far as his buddy that was walking around bitching, he would have got one warning to stop interfering, had he not piped down and stood back, he would have been joining his buddy. Why would you refuse to ID yourself to a LEO?  That makes no sense at all. While on the subject, why on earth would anyone want to walk around with a weapon exposed?  I find that weird, it defeats the entire purpose of handgun carry.  Again, you will find no one who is more pro second amendment than me, but lets use a little common sense.  Am I alone on this one?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why would you refuse to ID yourself to a LEO?  That makes no sense at all.

You are not required to give more than your name and address to a LEO, and unless asked. I do not have any speakers on my comp here at work, so I am not sure if he complied with that or not.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am all for CCW for citizens.  I do not know the law in NH, however, if that had happened in the state I work (In.) I most certainly would have arrested him for refusal to identify. He could have been anyone, as far as the officer was concerned.  As far as his buddy that was walking around bitching, he would have got one warning to stop interfering, had he not piped down and stood back, he would have been joining his buddy. Why would you refuse to ID yourself to a LEO?  That makes no sense at all. While on the subject, why on earth would anyone want to walk around with a weapon exposed?  I find that weird, it defeats the entire purpose of handgun carry.  Again, you will find no one who is more pro second amendment than me, but lets use a little common sense.  Am I alone on this one?

He did identify himself.  Why should he have to show the cop his "papers".  He was not doing anything illegal.  Assuming you are a cop, which it sounds like you are by your post, why do you open carry your pistol?  Why would he want to walk around with a pistol on his hip?  Maybe because it is his God given right to do so.

Because HE ARE THE POLICE~!!!!!!! AND YOU LISTEN TO THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Those who sacrafice freedom for safety deserve neither safety nor freedom"

How hallow those words from F.D.R's four freedoms speech ring in my ear. Does the lawful exercise of his rights bother you comrade?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't see anyone hassled, I just saw a couple of douche bag drama queens.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah, those two cops sucked.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy was in full compliance with the law; he gets stopped and held by the police, and he's the bad guy? I thought you guys believed in gun rights.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry if your post/video didn't have the desired effect on me. The douche bags were looking for a confrontation and all the drama they could manufacture. In Vegas, they call that making your point the hard way.

Much easier to simply tell the Cops what you are doing and why. Then everyone can be on their way and little time is wasted. Open carry may be a right, but in this day and age it's anachronistic and down right silly most of the time. It is so rarely done, that people are alarmed to see it and with good reason. Inducing public alarm, regardless of the fact that you are excercising your right, is grounds for investigation by the police.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]
lol. when the striped shirt guy was trying to talk to the bald cop in black, he waved his hand up and down in front of the cop's face.  

that was hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Copyright 2007 Valley News

Valley News (White River Junction, Vermont)

September 28, 2007 Friday
Daily Edition  

LOCAL/REGION; Pg. A2  

360 words

Bicyclist With Weapon Prompts Lockdown at 2 Lebanon Schools ; Police: Man Wearing Holstered Sidearm Was Not Breaking Law

Matthew McCormick, Valley News Staff Writer

Lebanon -- A bicyclist wearing a holstered pistol while pedaling down Hanover Street sent two city schools into lockdown mode yesterday morning as police investigated the matter -- and found only a man making his way to work.

"Nothing was said or threatened at any point," Lebanon Police Chief Jim Alexander said. "It was just the fact that a person with a firearm was entering an area around a school and no one knew what the purpose was."

Alexander said his department received a call around 8:40 a.m. from a resident who became concerned after seeing a man with a handgun biking toward the Hanover Street footbridge over Interstate 89 -- and Lebanon High and Hanover Street Elementary schools.

The school resource officer at the high notified administrators the call.

"Something about his mannerisms struck the citizen as odd," Alexander said.

He declined to elaborate on what those mannerisms were.

With help from the Hanover Police Department, authorities found the man and determined his only intention in riding down Hanover Street was to get to work.

Alexander said carrying an unconcealed handgun in a public space like a city street is legal and does not require a permit.

"He did absolutely nothing wrong," said the chief, who declined to release the names of the concerned caller and the biker.

As police investigated, school officials initiated lockdown procedures for about 1,000 students at Lebanon High and Hanover Street Elementary schools, ushering them into classrooms, drawing shades, turning off lights and keeping quiet. The lockdown lasted about 20 minutes, said high school principal Nan Parsons.

"I was very pleasantly surprised by how well the students had been trained in the lockdown procedure," said Parsons, now in her first year at the school's helm.

School Superintendent Mike Harris said that Parsons and elementary school principal Andrew Mellow would be sending letters about the incident home with students.

He also said the two schools would continue to practice their lockdown procedures and that the district soon would install a computerized alert system that will automatically phone parents should such incidents occur in the future.  

www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100010728&docId=l:678620028&isRss=true
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#11]
gran'di-os'i-ty

pompous and showy

This does not help our cause.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
The guy wasn't doing anything illegal, but I can understand why a cop would want to

make a contact.  It should have been clear relatively early-on in the contact to

establish that the guy was attempting to prove/make a point and didn't pose a threat

to anyone.  Conversely, if the guy appeared intoxicated, incoherent or otherwise

appeared to be a threat, then the officer would have cause for alarm, and be warranted

(IMO) to continue with his contact, request back-up, etc.  The ass-clown on the

sidelines should have been warned to STFU, and arrested for obstruction if he

didn't.  In the end, they'll probably garner just enough attention to get open carry

banned.    
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

WoW! and your a cop, scary
why on earth would anyone want to walk around with a weapon exposed?
Ahh because its my right!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why do cops walk around with their weapon exposed?

Yes let's use some common sense gun control, because it's common sense...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry if your post/video didn't have the desired effect on me. The douche bags were looking for a confrontation and all the drama they could manufacture. In Vegas, they call that making your point the hard way.

Much easier to simply tell the Cops what you are doing and why. Then everyone can be on their way and little time is wasted. Open carry may be a right, but in this day and age it's anachronistic and down right silly most of the time. It is so rarely done, that people are alarmed to see it and with good reason. Inducing public alarm, regardless of the fact that you are excercising your right, is grounds for investigation by the police.

you've been added to my list
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a concealed carry permit but still regularly open carry. I normally dress in a neat and/or professional manner and am exceedingly polite when carrying. Normally one person a day asks me about carrying a weapon openly, at which point I explain the laws and my reasons for carrying.

I find that I am way more polite when open carrying than when I am not. I don't mind being an asshole, but I don't want to be an asshole with a gun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pass me another sheet. I'm running out.

I'm Jewish, so no Christmas cards, please.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

When we have a police force like the one in Minority Report people will say that about owning a pocketknife.

Which is why I open carry nearly every day and explain why to anyone who asks.

You are a statist of the highest order, congratulations Comrade.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

buscemi.ytmnd.com/
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fixed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are going to open carry try not to look like someone that sits in the basement all day talking about star wars and be a little professional about it...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have a concealed carry permit but still regularly open carry. I normally dress in a neat and/or professional manner and am exceedingly polite when carrying. Normally one person a day asks me about carrying a weapon openly, at which point I explain the laws and my reasons for carrying.

I find that I am way more polite when open carrying than when I am not. I don't mind being an asshole, but I don't want to be an asshole with a gun.

why can't you just carry it concealed??  why do you want to get people to talk to you??  are you are loner and require attention??
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed.

If you watch the video(did you watch the video?) He identified himself as Tim from Manchester. Thats all that he is required to do under the law in NH.

For being a firearms related website I am shocked at the number of benedict arnold's amongst us. Is it any of your business (up to and including mine) what the hell this guy is open carrying for? He doesnt owe anyone an explanation for exercising his rights.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is so rarely done, that people are alarmed to see it and with good reason.

What, exactly, is the "good reason" for people to be alarmed about a gun in a holster?

double
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is so rarely done, that people are alarmed to see it and with good reason.

What, exactly, is the "good reason" for people to be alarmed about a gun in a holster?

Walking about in public openly displaying weapons, when it isn't your duty to do so is something one might expect from a crazy person under most circumstances. By doing so, you bring unneccessary attention to yourself. That violates rule number one for the freedom loving man. That is, to never invite the police into your life.
If you are walking down the street with a gun on your hip, someone will call and they will come. You can scream about your rights all you want but they will make sure that you are not a crazy person before you are permitted to go on your way.  And they will be within their powers to do so. If you simply keep your gun concealed, all that could be avoided. Try as you might, open carry will never become the preferred method of carry among the vast majority of gun owners. Mainly because the vast majority of gun owners are not dumb asses.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

*hands j706 his papers*

"Heil Hitler!" *salutes*

On a side note, those vented/see through police caps are they gayest thing i've ever seen...  I bet they are comfortable though..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why can't you just carry it concealed?? He can, why should he?  He isn't breaking any law.  Open carrying isn't being an attention whore and the fact that it does get so much attention is a testament to the sad state our country is in today.  Maybe if more people open carried your average citizen wouldn't be so afraid of a simple tool. why do you want to get people to talk to you?? Why not?  It's better than having them 'learn' about firearms from the mainstream media? are you are loner and require attention?? Are you that butthurt about the fact that someone open carries that you have to ask a condescending question like that?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Walking about in public openly displaying weapons, when it isn't your duty to do so is something one might expect from a crazy person under most circumstances.

No, I'd say waving a weapon around or actually trying to shoot people with it is a bit different than calmly going about your business with a holstered weapon.

If you simply keep your gun concealed, all that could be avoided. Try as you might, open carry will never become the preferred method of carry among the vast majority of gun owners. Mainly because the vast majority of gun owners are not dumb asses.

Nice to know I'm a dumbass because I occasionally openly carry a handgun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Walking about in public openly displaying weapons, when it isn't your duty to do so is something one might expect from a crazy person under most circumstances. By doing so, you bring unneccessary attention to yourself. That violates rule number one for the freedom loving man. That is, to never invite the police into your life.
If you are walking down the street with a gun on your hip, someone will call and they will come. You can scream about your rights all you want but they will make sure that you are not a crazy person before you are permitted to go on your way.  And they will be within their powers to do so. If you simply keep your gun concealed, all that could be avoided. Try as you might, open carry will never become the preferred method of carry among the vast majority of gun owners. Mainly because the vast majority of gun owners are not dumb asses.

Its not my duty to do so?

I thought the second amendment gave me the right to bear arms, not just when YOU feel it is my "duty". Perhaps I feel it is my "duty" as a responsible citizen in a free state to carry a firearm.

BTW the part in red scares the shit out of me and it should scare the shit out of you too. Ask yourself this: which side of the Berlin Wall would YOU have been a guard on?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Okay, so let me see if I've got this straight:

1) The guy in the video had the right  to Open Carry.

2) It was legal  to Open Carry.

3) The guy was wrong  to Open Carry.

So, it's cool for people to have the right to OC. It's cool for it to be legal to OC.

It's just not cool to actually OC?

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm not denying it's your right.  I'm just wondering why you wanna draw attention to yerself when you can carry it and not draw attention.

Still protecting yourself and still getting your 2nd amendment right........ right???

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Welcome to to months ago on ARFCOM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top