Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 6:20:39 PM EDT
I'm curious about possible advantages / disadvantages to buying a frame then selecting your components. Seeing as I'm no bike mechanic, how much would a local shop charge for assembling it? Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, guys. This is exactly the info I needed. It doesn't sound like it would be as beneficial as building your own AR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You won't be able to build a current spec'd bike any cheaper than buying it. You can build it cheaper with parts that are not as current and that is not entirely a bad thing. You will need tools or have a good relationship with a LBS that will install for you without the tools. Your best bet is a find a decent spec'd bike for a good price with the frame you want and ride the heck out of it. As parts wear, replace them with better parts and before long you will have a nice bike.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
yup i do all my own..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Believe it or not, wheelbuilding is actually very simple-all you need is a truing stand, proper length spokes, and the ability to count to four.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top