Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 6:10:57 PM EDT
So my Yugo SKS has one of these...

and the loaded one for mine is apparently the bottom one here...

Anyone done this? Just seems to look way different.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Problem with the free floating ones is that if they get gunked up with surplus (laquered steel case) ammo the firing pin can stick causing slam fires.

Proof?
I've seen it happen (as you noted) with the cosmo, but never seen this occur.

This is what I suspect he has witnessed also......i've never heard of that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Problem with the free floating ones is that if they get gunked up with surplus (laquered steel case) ammo the firing pin can stick causing slam fires.

Proof?

Agreed.  I've flushed a scary amount of primer-sealer bits out of the bolt upon cleaning, but never had a slam fire.  I guess it could happen...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes this is an aftermarket to prevent slam fires. Have had it happen at least twice. I have only shot wolf w/ it. Not the main reason I need to get a new one. I figured since i need one I might as well fix the slam fire problem as well. It just looks odd to me w/ the one end flat looking like that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Where do I get one
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
 IIRC wasnt the SKS rifle DESIGNED to shoot lacquered steel case
ammunition?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Proof?

It's never happened to me either but there are lots of stories over on the SKS boards.  It's not hard to believe if you look at the primer of a round after slamming the action home.  There will be a small indent on the primer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes this is an aftermarket to prevent slam fires. Have had it happen at least twice. I have only shot wolf w/ it. Not the main reason I need to get a new one. I figured since i need one I might as well fix the slam fire problem as well. It just looks odd to me w/ the one end flat looking like that.

you just need to clean it no need for a new firing pin.

IMHO, stay away from all the aftermarket crap for the sks, nothin but problems!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you just need to clean it no need for a new firing pin.

IMHO, stay away from all the aftermarket crap for the sks, nothin but problems!

Probably right. I may just save a few bucks and get another stock pin. Again its happened like twice and once was at the range. I just dont like it to happen and have any issues at the range about firing more than once a sec.

Oh, and cleaning it is why I need a new one. Not sure I want to go there yet though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top