Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 4:27:44 PM EDT
Hello all, I need a little help regarding my Winchester 94 (30/30 lever action rifle)
My problem is that my lever is not locking closed very well. In other words, If I shake
the rifle in a downward motion, it will release the lever. Upon looking at the rifle, I
noticed that there is a little (spring operated) pin that is suppose to lock in place when
the action is closed, and I don't think my pin is working correctly. Anyone have any
helpful solutions for me. For what it's worth, the action is nice and smooth and
everything seems to be operating like it should except for the lever that will not stay
locked close. I hope someone can help me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the pin work when you push it by hand? Been awhile since I had a 94, would try to get that pin and spring out and see if something is making it bind.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My dads is a pre '64 model and the lever is loose, but doesnt hand/drop down..  I do know that the handle is suppose to be up against the stock to press a button in order for the hammer to drop. Is this what isnt happening with yours?

Im sure a gunsmith can fix it without any problems...  The 94 is a great rifle - I love the way it handles in the brush... short enough that you can carry it with one hand and the barrel doesnt touch the ground..

good luck

Brian
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The action works perfectly. When I close the action, it closes the way it is suppose to.
I think my only problem is that the lever isn't locking closed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you talking about this little detent on the lever link? It is held in by a pin you could drive out if you have the right size punch. You could the inspect the spring and hole to make sure the spring isn't broken or disintegrated by rust or the hole isn't full of rust. If you don't have the tools you could put some Kroil or something on it and let it soak in for a day or two and see if that loosens the detent up. I have a copy of the old factory disassembly guide for the pre 64 guns. I could fax you a copy if you are interested. I don't have any post 64 guns to look at, but they are pretty similar overall.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes thats it........ I have tools here, and I think I'll take it out  to see if the spring is indeed broken. Although I can push in on the spring and the pin will move in and out.
Do you think it's just spent?

That would be a good start. You might put a few drops of oil into the pin hole to help the pin slide out. The book says drift it out left to right. Leave the punch it there after the pin falls out and then get ready to catch the spring and detent when you take the punch out. That thing is called the friction stud.
 Springs can break in two, just loose their springiness due to being rusted, or just be a dud spring. The stud may be worn down or chipped off. If you replace the spring and friction stud with a new one and lube the hole that may very well cure your rifle. If not you have at least removed that variable.
 Brownells has your parts. They will run you about 8 bucks or 6.50 depending on your discount.

910-000-214 Friction Stud Spring
910-000-259 Friction Stud
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for your help.

No problem. Just send me your once fired brass for the rest of your life
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top