Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 4:22:41 PM EDT
So the union question got me thinking. How much is union dues? Is it a percentage of your hourly wage or just a set amount? Are all union dues about the same?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Varies from union to union, and in some case shop to shop or local to local.

All of the "per capita" to the chartered organization "the union" in DC or wherever are the same from local to local (ie: IBEW in IL send the same $ to DC as the IBEW in SD), but each local may have additional contributions for other reasons, such as retirement, supplementary insurance or health care, PAC's, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I use to pay a fixed amount per paycheck when I was in the union.

Edited to add that all of us in the shop paid the same dollar amount.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Lotta poor man got to walk the line,
just to pay their union duuuuuuues......
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So the union question got me thinking. How much is union dues? Is it a percentage of your hourly wage or just a set amount? Are all union dues about the same?

What I love about union dues is you don't have the right to say no...even if you had the job before the union came in.  In any other situation this is against the law.

its called extortion
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Laborer's Union

I pay 31 bucks a month and about 65 cents an hour.

Our local makes lots of money when more people are working.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is $ 48 per month + $ 10 retirement Premium.

AFSCME Sucks !
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks. I've been offered a job at a union shop. I just wanted to be sure they weren't going to rape me when it came to dues.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Per month: 2 hours pay plus $11

if you elect to not be in the union you still pay like 87% of the dues, and then the company can hold you at base pay forever.  I just pay the damn dues because at the moment I am stuck there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use to pay a fixed amount per paycheck when I was in the union.

Edited to add that all of us in the shop paid the same dollar amount.
Yup, thats the way it is with my local. $8 per week for my dues.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I love about union dues is you don't have the right to say no...even if you had the job before the union came in.  In any other situation this is against the law.

its called extortion

This varies state by state. Kansas is a right to work state, I work at a union shop but I am not a member and pay no dues. I still fall under union contract, and cannot negoiate my own wages/benifits etc.

ETA: sorry to answer the OP's original question, the union at my shop pays a % of their salary. All members pay the same % and when the union gets us a raise the union dues go up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
$29/monthly

$3.50/Hour for the health and welfare fund which is our insurance.

I work 1500 to 1600 hours per year. Do the math. I'm getting screwed.
My insurance leaves much to be desired.

Optical plan rocks though.

HS1

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Per month-two hours pay, IAM
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive paid $26 dollars a month for the past 2 and 1/2 years and i dont think the dues will go up for the remainder of our contract.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This varies state by state. Kansas is a right to work state, I work at a union shop but I am not a member and pay no dues. I still fall under union contract, and cannot negoiate my own wages/benifits etc.

Honest, straight question:  What is your internal justification for not joining the union and paying dues?  The job/pay/benefits were created by and agreed to by the union and management, and would likely be very different if not for the union's involvement.  How do you explain to yourself the free ride?

I'm not busting your balls, but rather trying to figure out contrasting viewpoints, with the aim of building unity as a workgroup.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Union dues?  Don't.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lotta poor man got to walk the line,
just to pay their union duuuuuuues......

Can I take your shift at the mine?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
About 2.5% of our pay here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top