Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 3:47:49 PM EDT
Bow Flex

I want a machine that will take minimul space but i can have a lot of excercises.

Should i get the Power Rod® Resistance or SpiraFlex® Plate Resistance?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Bow Flex

I want a machine that will take minimul space but i can have a lot of excercises.

What do they cost?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if your gonna use the damn thing.

Overpriced workout equipment is fine IF YOU USE IT.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Get whichever one you can find on craigslist for $50 from the previous owner who's been using it as a towel rack for the last 11 1/2 months.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh hell yeahh im gonna use it... I need to do some strength training... I will be joining up with the National Guard next year.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Free weights or turn your man card in.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bow Flex

What do they cost?

Best one is 2300.00  planning to get that one
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure, I've got a 'dust collector' I'll sell ya.

If ya do buy, be sure to go ahead and get all of the accesories and extra weight capacity you may want.  

They tend to change their models and may not have the parts for your machine in the future.

Unless you live in the sticks, probably better off with a gym membership.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Bro, get a bench. Barbell. And a few dumbells. And a weight set.

You'll get much better results.

Resistance training will only take you so far.

IMO.

With a bowflex, you'll be able to do a few things that you couldn't do with the equipment mentioned above. (lat pulls, rows....)

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
bowflexes rods rock more stuff to hang clothes off of. much better than my damn treadmill
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I used mine as a coat hanger. You won't use it after a week of owning it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
How much are you excercising now? If you are someone who already has a well thought out and implemented exercise plan and want to shave off time going to the gym, then by all means buy one. However if you are trying to get into working out and think having one of these in your house will encourage you to work out you are probally wrong. You can get a membership to the YMCA for around 20 bucks a month. They have a hell of a lot more exercises then the bowflex does.

2300 divided by 20= 115 divided by 12 months a year = 9.6 years
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
WHOA WHOA WHOA........

$2300 buck will buy you a lot of gym membership. GET A MEMBERSHIP TO A GYM WITH FREE WEIGHTS, RESISTANCE MACHINES, CARDIO EQUIPMENT..etc.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bow Flex

What do they cost?

Best one is 2300.00  planning to get that one

Are you really gonna do $2300 worth of exercises?

Most people stick to the large muscle groups - upper body, arms and chest.

A cheap set of free weights offers;
1.  Significantly lower investment.
2.  Lower footprint.
3.  Much higher reward per $$$.

The guys and chicks in the commercials look great.
If you ever looked like that, it might be OK.
If you never looked close to that, re-evaluat the $2300.

Think about joining a local gym.
Much cheaper (even after TEN YEARS) and you will receive enough motivation from people who are in better shape.

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have a "floor" and a "chair" you are 80% of the way there.  

Don't waste your money on crap.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the guys saying free weights are right.

If you have to get one of those contraptions I'd suggest this:  linkeroo

It's just like the one Chuck Norris uses.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't get the bow flex.

Get this: Ironmaster dumbells

A power cage that lets you do pullups.

Flat/incline bench.

And a 300lb Olympic weight set.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, you then can play in a rock band without a shirt, and be a quality control manager.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How much are you excercising now? If you are someone who already has a well thought out and implemented exercise plan and want to shave off time going to the gym, then by all means buy one. However if you are trying to get into working out and think having one of these in your house will encourage you to work out you are probally wrong. You can get a membership to the YMCA for around 20 bucks a month. They have a hell of a lot more exercises then the bowflex does.

2300 divided by 20= 115 divided by 12 months a year = 9.6 years

+1, try a simple plan that you can try for a start and if you stick to it.

Depends on where you are at now.

If you think you need one of those, they are in the paper all the time waayyyyyyyy cheaper than that.

Don't burn up your credit card for that sort of price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Whats the benefit of working out?Makes my muscles hurt and i get tired afterwards...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I know the infomercials are cheesy, and many people here will talk shit against it...but I loved my bowflex.

I added 50lbs to my bench press in probably 6 weeks, let me target lots of muscle groups quickly and effectively, got my body looking VERY good.

What is most important in any excercise routine is that you stick with it, and that it's enjoyable to you (which will help you "stick with it").

Personally, I don't like (nor do I have the time) to go to the gym I joined.  But when I had my bowflex, I used it EVERY day that was scheduled in my workout routine.  I joined my gym on the day of the superbowl, and have gone maybe 15 times  Not only is it inconvenient for me to have to go somewhere to work out, I don't like the "gym atmosphere".  Some people need that motivation where they actually have to LEAVE in order to work out...I'm the opposite.

Forget the cheesy informercials, it'll do anything the average person wants with it.  If you want to look like arnold schwartzenegger then ya, you'll probably need something better/more advanced.

But I used it with great results.  When I get the extra money, I'll be getting another.

My .02

*ETA* I did not get the top of the line model...I think it was the XTL with the lat pull down and leg excercises deal.  I also upgraded to 310lbs because I could do 210 bench press quickly.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy stuff like this at yard sales for pennies on the dollar.  Exercise equipment will probably be in like-new condition.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#23]
it's worth it if you are committed to using it. i brought one last year and lost 30 lbs and built up a lot of muscle, the great thing is the many work-out options like over 60, but honestly i use only about 10 of them consistently.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Buy stuff like this at yard sales for pennies on the dollar.  Exercise equipment will probably be in like-new condition.

I agree...I see them pretty much unused on Craigslist for half price at least.  That's where I"ll buy mine again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I like mine, I've had it for a few years now, and yes, I still use it (although not as consistantly as I once did....).  It gives a good and different workout than free weights/circuit weights/universals.

If I could do it again, I'd get a nice incline bench and a good set of weights.

YMMV.

If you want to give the Bowflex a try, get a used one out of the local classifieds.  Who knows, you may love it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Walk stairs start the first day with 10 up and 10 down. Add 1 up and 1 down each day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Do calisthenics you wuss...

if you get bored do it with a weighted backback.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#28]
You can find bowlfexes any where between $50 and $500 on craigslist.

So since given buying used is not an insane price,

What is good about them (Again OTHER THAN PRICE), and what makes free-weights superior?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
WHOA WHOA WHOA........

$2300 buck will buy you a lot of gym membership. GET A MEMBERSHIP TO A GYM WITH FREE WEIGHTS, RESISTANCE MACHINES, CARDIO EQUIPMENT..etc.

That would buy me 6 years at our local gym, with much more equipment. And girls too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Alright thanks alot fellas for the advice... will get myself a bench
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+10

If you manage to break your free weights, my hat is off to you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Spend the money on a gym membership.  I have found that I'll go to a gym, equipment at home just collects dust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top