Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wish I had the money! Those things will be running when my great-grandkids are dust (and I'm 27!)

When we got back from Kuwait one of the guys in my unit was showing pictures to his grandfather. He got to one standing in front of the deuce and his grandfather threw in "God damn! Ya'll still driving those things?"
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
One of those sold here locally from the Rock Island Arsenal for less than a hundred bucks
last year.  About 2,000 miles on it.  Virtually new.  

I considered bidding, but what the heck would I do with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh God.  I'm going to end up bidding.  Anyone in WI want to mothball one until spring/summer for me?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of MPG would one of those get?  

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Wife would kill me...no way to hide it either and say "Oh, THAT?!  I've had that for years"
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh God.  I'm going to end up bidding.  Anyone in WI want to mothball one until spring/summer for me?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What kind of MPG would one of those get?  
I'd guess about 5-10.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One of those sold here locally from the Rock Island Arsenal for less than a hundred bucks

are you serious? Why do they sell so cheap?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a place about an hour north of the cities that has them for sale reguarly. Certainly would be cool to have, but again, what would you do with it. Sunday drives....?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

For less than a hundred bucks, you FIND something to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Prolly a rebuild.
AM General was rebuilding them for $50,000.
My unit co-located with a depot in South Bend, IN, and we saw a lot of rebuilds come through.  Very nice work and yes, practically new.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
They make a great "bug out" of SHTF vehicle...if you're into that sort of thing.  If you are planning to move in the near future it would be a great alternative to renting a truck.

Then, there's always the parades down Main Street!

Bryan
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For less than a hundred bucks, you FIND something to do with it.

I have some trees that need...uh...pulled, yeah.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I want a HEMTT
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Man there's lots of neat stuff there.  And it's all just down the road.  I'll have to keep an eye on that site.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#16]
dude, it's a $100 who cares. that's 3 nice meals. they get about 6-7 mpg.

i don't mean to be rude but why even ask about the mileage. like if i said 40mpg you'd get one if i said 5mpg you wouldn't? you don't own something like this and then worry about the mileage.

here's a link with more info.

Deucey Goodness

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There's a place about an hour north of the cities that has them for sale reguarly. Certainly would be cool to have, but again, what would you do with it. Sunday drives....?

SHTF bug out vehilce DUH!!!

Would be a bad ass camping vehicle if you put some kind of shelter on the back.

And then there is make-your-own-mad-max-vehicle option!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Are these in running condition ? as in dump some fuel in it and charge the battery
and drive off ?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone actually bought through this website or is it a scam
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#20]
The website is not a scam.  People I work with have bought other things through it, like machine tools.

And WI-Sparta means Fort MCoy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I presume you can't actually just drive them off and that as they sit they aren't street legal.  What would I need to have one towed (in terms of tow vehicle).  There are dozens for sale here in PA; a bunch with only about thousand hours on them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I presume you can't actually just drive them off and that as they sit they aren't street legal.  What would I need to have one towed (in terms of tow vehicle).  There are dozens for sale here in PA; a bounch with only about thousand hours on them.

What would it take to make one street legal ? Just plates and tags ?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd buy it for fun drives on weekend.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I presume you can't actually just drive them off and that as they sit they aren't street legal.  What would I need to have one towed (in terms of tow vehicle).  There are dozens for sale here in PA; a bounch with only about thousand hours on them.

I don't believe they come with titles, so you'd need to request a "lost" title first.  And plates and tags are the same thing here in Missouri.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone bidding on the 22,000 pounds of 5.56 Brass?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I would love to have one of those.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I think it is correct that they stopped transferring the titles with them.  Also don't they require a CDL, Class B?  

Lastly they usually sit for perhaps a year or more waiting auction so they usually won't just fire up.  You would want to have it hauled to your location.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]
id rather have a moog...

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#29]
does anyone know why .mil will surplus' these but not HMMV's?

-patry
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
id rather have a moog...

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/S404-300TDI-erg-chebbi.jpg/750px-S404-300TDI-erg-chebbi.jpg

Never settle for 2 axles when 4 will do

M35s are cool - DougR anything GVWR exceeds 26,000 = CDL

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Good friend of mine is sells these things if anyone's interested.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Good friend of mine is sells these things if anyone's interested.

Any idea about how much they run for?  I don't buy "$100".  I just don't believe it.  Hell, it's be worth more than that just for scrap.

These are fuggin awesome.  I'd be the meanest redneck on the block...

ETA:  "Sweety, what do you NEED one of those for anyway??"

"Zombies honey...Zombies."
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Also, the the question of "What would you do with one?"

This.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Also don't they require a CDL, Class B?

I knew a guy that had one and it seems that, at least in the state he lived in, a regular license worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I would love to have something like that.  Minor problem is lack of lotsa of $$$$
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I presume you can't actually just drive them off and that as they sit they aren't street legal.  What would I need to have one towed (in terms of tow vehicle).  There are dozens for sale here in PA; a bunch with only about thousand hours on them.

Where?????

web.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=USPA|M35A2&Ntk=P_Auction_Country_State|P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall|mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&location=US_PA&words=M35A2&cmd=keyword

Looks like there are only 3 at the moment. Last week there where about two dozen, but I guess that auction cycle ended.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That's awesome.

My unit has at least a dozen that are deadlined/worn out and assholes at Rock Island are practically giving away new ones.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like MattyMattel knows what he's talking about.  I've owned several.  

Bought some at gov auctions, some through a third person.

The cheapest one I bought was for $200.  It had a winch which is worth $1400 on the open market.  Nobody was paying attention which is why I ended up with it.  Although the body was straight, it was painted orange because it was donated to a rural fire dept before being re-donated back to the mil for auction.  It was a gasoline engine which ran after I put fresh fuel in it and new batteries.  It had to be towed home because the brakes on deuces are real pieces of shit even when they are working like they are supposed to.

The most expensive one I bought was $5,500.  It was a turbocharged multifuel, 5 spd overdrive trans, and air shift front axle.  It was a nice truck.

"If it rests, it rusts".  That is the key with these trucks.  So plan on an hour long drive every three or four days.  There is a 10 min warm up and 10 min cool down period with those trucks which have the turbos.

Since they fall under the 16,000 lb weight limit, you do NOT need a CDL to drive them.  The brakes are air pressure boosted hydraulic so you are NOT required to have an air brake endorsement.  You will be able to buy new old stock (NOS) parts for these trucks for many years to come.  98% of all mechanical parts are commercially manufactured.

IF you buy one from an auction, rest assured it will have been canibalized for most of the good parts.  If you get one for $4000, plan on spending at LEAST $2000 and 100 hours to get it functional.  Then throw down another $1000 for fair tires without dry rot and try to find someone to change them for you due to the split rim wheels.

Boyce sells just the front axle for $1500 last time I looked so they (and any related company) will out bid any of you just to break even so that they can continue to monopolize the military vehicle restoration market.

It used to be a cheap, fun hobbie untill capitolism got involved.  Which is why I got out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-patry

This is an over-simplification, but basically because they'd compete with the commercial version. Same reason they finally quit surplussing Jeeps, hence the rarity of M151s. Lotsa politics involved.

Bzztt.

The DOT has declared the M151 and the HMMV not road worthy. Now there are some M151's and some surplus HMMV's on the road, but there is a constatnt battle to make sure the states don't decide to pull the title.

Feds don't surplus out the HMMV since they can't. Same ith the M151.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:01:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Any idea about how much they run for?  I don't buy "$100".  I just don't believe it.  Hell, it's be worth more than that just for scrap.

A restored one will go for $5K to $8K on the collector market.

As for the "$100", most will sell for $1K on up. The $100 is an opening bid.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Because nobody, not even the Army, can get parts for them anymore.

Plenty of parts on the surplus market.

Some are hard to come by, but there are some good very good magazines out there that list parts suppliers.

A deuce is a popular truck in the collecting crowd.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#42]
You CAN change tires yourself but it is MAJOR work.  And when putting tires/wheels back together, you need to be damn sure it is done correctly, otherwise that tire and tube are gone.  And don't even think about doing it outside of a very strong cage with a remote chuck.  A split rim is a grenade waiting to explode only it has a bit more energy.

Even in a cage, an exploding split rim will cause concussion, ruptured eardrums and possibly a collapsed lung or two if you are within 15 feet when it blows.

Yeah, you can adjust the governor on the injection pump to get more than 2800 RPM from the multifuel engines so 55 MPH isn't the limit on speed.  Just don't try to pull heavy loads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Are these in running condition ? as in dump some fuel in it and charge the battery
and drive off ?

I would be surprised if they were.

If there was nothing wrong with it, the gov wouldn't surplus it.

They usually sit for over a year before they go up for auction.

I've seen all types of problems with them, from missing batteries, to bad air lines.

Plus, you DO NOT get a title for them. You get form SF-97, which you can use to get a title. You will have to have the truck hauled away - the base WILL NOT let you drive off in it.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Yes to plates and tags.

You recive a SF-97 you can then take to the DMV for a title.

They have seat belts, back-up lights, turn signals, ect.

Av.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Av is right.

Certain requirements must be met to be DOT street legal.

Mil HMMWV's have no "park"  only "neutral" and a park break.  Not a padded dash.  Not two spd windshield wipers.

GM's commercial Hummer does have all these things.  That is why the Hummer is street legal while the HMMWV is not.  There are other DOT regs I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
What kind of GPM would one of those get?  

Fixed it for ya.

I'd love to have one of those by the way.  I though there was a guy on here that had one for sale a little while back.  

I'd love to drive it on my 65 mile commute to work every now and then.  Love to see the look on the security guards face when I flash my work badge to get in.  Especially this hot chick one that is at this one shack sometimes.  Hell she's probably driven one.  From the looks of her name she may be Isreali.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Might be fun to put a Duramax in it or something.  Lots of work, fabrication and a pain in the ass, but I think it would be a lot of fun.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'd love to drive it on my 65 mile commute to work every now and then.  Love to see the look on the security guards face when I flash my work badge to get in.  Especially this hot chick one that is at this one shack sometimes.  Hell she's probably driven one.  From the looks of her name she may be Isreali.

Funny, I've also thought about driving mine to work.  I work on a .mil facility and the MP's practically cream themselves when I use one of the CUCV's to commute.  I couldn't imagine the looks on their faces if I showed up in Godzilla.

Someone asked what these trucks are good for.  Ours has:
Uprooted trees,
Hauled big loads,
Pulled gates out of the ground in emergencies (fire vehicles needed to get up a mountain WMA to a forest fire, encountered locked gate, we got a call!),
Killed a lot of deer (no damaged to the truck though),
Hauled politicians in parades (great for July 4th!).
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-patry

This is an over-simplification, but basically because they'd compete with the commercial version. Same reason they finally quit surplussing Jeeps, hence the rarity of M151s. Lotsa politics involved.

Bzztt.

The DOT has declared the M151 and the HMMV not road worthy. Now there are some M151's and some surplus HMMV's on the road, but there is a constatnt battle to make sure the states don't decide to pull the title.

Feds don't surplus out the HMMV since they can't. Same ith the M151.

Av.

You're right - but so am I.

The manufacturer of military jeeps had been lobbying the DOD for a while to quit surplussing military jeeps since they felt the surplus jeeps were cutting into their sales.

The manufacturer was unsuccessful, so they set their sights on the DOT, informing them that their military production vehicles were not road worthy - hence the "not road worthy" declaration you note.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Might be fun to put a Duramax in it or something.  Lots of work, fabrication and a pain in the ass, but I think it would be a lot of fun.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top