Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/8/2007 1:02:42 PM EDT
Aftwer the shooting, he went to his boyhood friends home, sat with their family, and handed over the rifle.  Slept in the back of his truck for awhile.  Walked into the woods and was shot dead by LE.  No mention if he fired at LE first or was just simply "taken out".

www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=672136

Gunman told friend he lost control after being called 'worthless pig'
By RAQUEL RUTLEDGE
[email protected]
Posted: Oct. 8, 2007
Tyler Peterson went to his ex-girlfriend's house in Crandon Saturday with the hope of patching up their relationship, but instead got in a fight with her. And when other people at the house started calling him a "worthless pig" he lost control.

Crandon Shootings
The Shooter

Tyler Peterson

The Scene

Photo/Mary Jo Walicki

People arrive for counseling Monday at Praise Chapel Community Church.

MORE PHOTOS

Audio

Photo/Ellen Gabler

Jenny Stahl talks Sunday about her daughter Lindsey, 14, who was among the dead in Crandon. With her is Lindsey's half brother, Ryan Coulter, 12.

10/7: Interviews with Jenny Stahl, Ryan Coulter and Bill Farr, pastor of Praise Chapel Community Church
10/8: 1 p.m. news conference

Guest Book

Sign guest book for Crandon victims

Video

10/7: TMJ4 10 p.m. report
10/8: TMJ4 noon report
10/8: News conference

Related Coverage
Shooting: Off-duty deputy kills 6 at party in Crandon (10/7)
Statement: From family of gunman Tyler Peterson (10/8)
Map: Shooting location
More: Latest from the AP

Advertisement

Buy a link hereThat's what 20-year-old Peterson told lifelong family friend Mike Kegley about five hours after authorities say Peterson killed six young people at the Crandon house, Kegley said Monday morning.

Peterson showed up at Kegley's home a few miles north of Crandon at about 7:30 a.m. Sunday and told his wife and their son - Peterson's friend since childhood - what happened.

The family quietly called 911.

The Kegleys coaxed Peterson, a Forest County sheriff's deputy and part-time Crandon police officer, into handing over his work-issued assault rifle - the weapon he said he had used in the slayings - and tried to calmly talk him into turning himself in.

Peterson said he wanted to talk to his mom and his grandmother and left the house, promising to return.

About an hour later Peterson came back. The Kegleys again called 911.

"We gave him some coffee and fed him," Kegley said. "He wasn't running around crazy or anything. He was very, very sorry for what he did."

Peterson promised the Kegleys they were not in any danger but he refused to give up his pistol that he had tucked in the back of his shirt, Kegley said.

After about another hour or so, Kegley said he left his house to find out where the police were. His wife followed him a short time later. Their son refused to leave.

"He wanted to be his friend and try to help," Kegley said.

Kegley owns a construction and roofing company based on his property. Several of his workers were there and also called 911 "many, many" times, he said.

After a while, Peterson climbed in the back of his pick-up truck and went to sleep. Workers again called 911. Still no law enforcement approached.

Kegley said his workers estimated Peterson slept for about 45 minutes and then woke up. By then dozens and dozens of officers, deputies and other law enforcement officials surrounded about 200 acres around the site and infiltrated the woods.

Somewhere around 2 p.m. Peterson walked off toward the woods. He got about 50 yards from the house and was shot, Kegley's workers who witnessed the happenings, told him.

"He was just very remorseful about what happened," Kegley said.

On Monday, mourners consoled each other at Praise Chapel Community Church as investigators from the State Department of Justice moved in and out of the Murray house where the victims were killed and gathered evidence.

Inside the Crandon School, teachers and staff members listened to a roll call of the dead, then went about planning to deal with the tragedy when classes resume later in the week. Authorities are expected to reveal some details of the crime during a news conference at 1 p.m., in the school auditorium.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Crap, I'm trying to clean up the formatting and I keep getting a white page "server error" when I submit the edit.  WTF Goaty?

Man, this is terrible, terrible stuff.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Crap, I'm trying to clean up the formatting and I keep getting a white page "server error" when I submit the edit.

Keep trying.  I read that some people were having the same problem last night - eventually it stopped happening.

ETA:  Try doing a copy & paste into Notepad, doing your formatting there, and then pasting it back into the edit form.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
So, like, where were the police between 0730 and 1400? Very strange twist to a tragic story.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The murders are sad yes but at least the murderer is now room temperature.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
is it supposed to read like the cop was executed?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So, like, where were the police between 0730 and 1400? Very strange twist to a tragic story.

According to the story, they were "surrounding and infiltrating" the area where he was visiting.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Gunman told friend he lost control after being called 'worthless pig'

... And then he proceeded to prove them correct.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn.  Goes on a killing rampage after being called names?  He wouldn't of lasted long on the streets.  I've been called far worse than "worthless pig".  In fact, I've been called a "confederate motherfucker" one of the more original derogatory terms I've encountered in over 10 years of law enforcement.  This was said to me by a detective's son too.  Sad part is I'm half-asian.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Damn.  Goes on a killing rampage after being called names?  He wouldn't of lasted long on the streets.  I've been called far worse than "worthless pig".  In fact, I've been called a "confederate motherfucker" one of the more original derogatory terms I've encountered in over 10 years of law enforcement.  This was said to me by a detective's son too.  Sad part is I'm half-asian.

Seriously, some of the names I have been called even made me laugh ther were so bad
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My all time best is:

"Skin-headed Nazi Motherfucker enforcing that bullshit Republican family values crap"

(He was walking around naked in a kiddie playscape)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

"Skin-headed Nazi Motherfucker enforcing that bullshit Republican family values crap"

Are you bald?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The dude worked in a "town" of 2,000 people. I imagine his job was mostly writing traffic/parking tickets and screwing with drunks. Hardly some mean streets up there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Guilt by association. You are an LEO in Ga. Georgia was a confederate state. Hence you are an official in what was a confederate state.

and I can use my guzintas to figure out rithmatic problems too....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
The story gets more pathetic all the time.  Sad.  Sad and pitiful.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

Now that is pretty funny.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

Are you bald?

Had more hair than he did.

(He filed a written complaint on me too.)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

Are you bald?

What did he write with?  His pencil-di**?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

why you always keepin me down? all I wanted to do was give the boys a little air, it's a free country
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Expect a law suit from the killer's family. He slept for 45 min and they didn't go get him.  They knew he was sleeping and waited till he woke up, then killed him.  

The police did it right and safe, but it will get spun to look like they wanted to kill him and passed up a chance to take him alive.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm still not clear on something:

Why did it take so long to deal with the perp?  7 hours?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#22]
q

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

Are you bald?

naked in the kid play area.......

To bad concerned parent did not perform a citizens arrest...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That's confusing me too. The timeline really does not make sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
q

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

Are you bald?

naked in the kid play area.......

To bad concerned parent did not perform a citizens arrest...

One helpful parent videotaped it all.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My all time best is:

Are you bald?

Did he go by the name "Dusty_C"?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
When the calls started coming in that he was asleep in the back of his pickup, I wonder why they didn't move in and try to get him alive?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guilt by association. You are an LEO in Ga. Georgia was a confederate state. Hence you are an official in a confederate state.

and I can use my guzintas to figure out rithmatic problems too....

I wasn't born in Georgia though.  Born in Indiana.  Stereotypes suck.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like he was one of the "I was picked on in school and now I am going to show the world!" types that sadly seems to be becoming an increasing percentage of the police force(though nowhere near as severe of course)...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sounds like he was one of the "Is was picked on in school and now I am going to show the world!" types that sadly seems to be becoming an increasing percentage of the police force(though nowhere near as severe of course)...

If you look at the other thread, I posted a link to another article where one of his schoolmates says exactly that!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Because he was one of their own...........

If it was an "ordinary" person?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Sad story, but it seems very bizzare, still lots of questions left to be answered.
How old was the girlfriend? Why was this cop enev assocating with 12 and 14 year olds? I hope some departments make a few changes in their rules of hiring.

So if he is 20 he was a cop but he could not CCW, or are the rules different for cops?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/WACO/attack.jpg

Yeah,  he got "special treatment".  even to the point they shot him.  Some of you guys crack me up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Hmmmmm.....

Was he the only one pofesshunul enuf to handle a AR15?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah,  he got "special treatment".  even to the point they shot him.  Some of you guys crack me up.

No kidding, kind of hard to argue "thin blue line" bs on this one.

If anything it sounds like they got a little enthusiastic in executing him (hopefully more details come out on why they didn't try to grab him alive), but hey, I'm happy with that as WI doesn't have the death penalty. 50 cents of ammo is cheaper than a life of prison room and board.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding, kind of hard to argue "thin blue line" bs on this one.

If anything it sounds like they got a little enthusiastic in executing him (hopefully more details come out on why they didn't try to grab him alive), but hey, I'm happy with that as WI doesn't have the death penalty. 50 cents of ammo is cheaper than a life of prison room and board.

From another thread:  He had made calls to the dead girl's mother and others that he wouldn't be taken alive.  Left the department issue AR on a table but still had his handgun with him outside.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

They were probably hoping he would do the right thing and take himself out
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
When the calls started coming in that he was asleep in the back of his pickup, I wonder why they didn't move in and try to get him alive?

According to the article you posted, 911 had been called at least a couple of times hours before he went to sleep. Too weird.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Related Coverage
Shooting: Off-duty deputy kills 6 at party in Crandon (10/7)
Statement: From family of gunman Tyler Peterson (10/8)
Map: Shooting location
More: Latest from the AP

Advertisement

Buy a link here That's what 20-year-old Peterson told lifelong family friend Mike Kegley about five hours after authorities say Peterson killed six young people at the Crandon house, Kegley said Monday morning.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he had gotten "special treatment", he'd still be alive and out on bail right now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Sad story, but it seems very bizzare, still lots of questions left to be answered.
How old was the girlfriend? Why was this cop enev assocating with 12 and 14 year olds? I hope some departments make a few changes in their rules of hiring.

So if he is 20 he was a cop but he could not CCW, or are the rules different for cops?

HR 218 Nationwide CCW for LEO's.

Also, WI specifically exempts LEO's from the CCW statute. (No legal CCW here. )
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only conjecture on my part but this is my guess.

That place is about 20 miles north of bum fuck Egypt and 10 miles west of the middle of no where.  It probably took a while to get a SWAT team there.  Not to mention it's not usually a good idea to go charging towards the nut case that has already expressed his willingness to kill people and has stated he will not be taken alive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That place is about 20 miles north of bum fuck Egypt and 10 miles west of the middle of no where.  It probably took a while to get a SWAT team there.  Not to mention it's not usually a good idea to go charging towards the nut case that has already expressed his willingness to kill people and has stated he will not be taken alive.

Is it really that remote?  I can see the time needed to mass the troops.  Some places in West Texas are just as bad.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Christ they probably only had 2 people on the clock.  Spread out all over the county.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it really that remote?  I can see the time needed to mass the troops.  Some places in West Texas are just as bad.  

Yet they have at least one armored vehicle and a SWAT team...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Christ they probably only had 2 people on the clock.  Spread out all over the county.

uhh whats wrong with that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Forest County has a population of about 10-11k.  For the county, not Crandon.  Crandon, of 2k people, is the county seat.  Forest county is 1,000 or so square miles of territory.  

That's a lot of space for a minimal Sheriff's Dept staff to be patrolling, with deputies living in all parts of the county, to be woken up out of bed to form up for something like this.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a gander for yourself
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Nothing wrong with it.  I'm trying to explain to the city folk why response time might be slower that they'd expect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top