Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 9:35:15 AM EDT
Lockheed Martin Developing One Shot System For Snipers
Monday October 8, 9:00 am ET

AKRON, Ohio, Oct. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT - News) received a $2 million contract from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to develop the One Shot System, that will profile and compensate for down- range cross wind. The system will enhance the ability of snipers to hit targets over long ranges under challenging conditions.

"Winds of 5 to 10 miles per hour significantly decrease the probability of a sniper hitting a target and requiring a second attempt, which increases the sniper's own probability of detection," said Ron Rex, Lockheed Martin's One Shot program manager. "The One Shot system will solve this problem, significantly increasing operational range and hit probability, and giving our warfighters a capability that is urgently needed today."

Lockheed Martin's Akron, OH facility will develop the One Shot system under a 9-month Phase 1 contract. DARPA will then down-select a single One Shot system solution from among industry offerings for an 18-month Phase 2 contract to produce a prototype. The Akron site has a strong track record of successful innovation in the development and application of laser systems technology, including programs in shipboard and airborne infrared countermeasures, laser communications and active sensing.

Headquartered in Bethesda, MD, Lockheed Martin employs about 140,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services.

Link
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#1]
They should just hire some arfcommers to take the one shot, most people on here can hit 1/2 inch groups at 1000 yards with iron sights and bulk ammo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They should just hire some arfcommers to take the one shot, most people on here can hit 1/2 inch groups at 1000 yards with iron sights and bulk ammo.

Sights?  Who needs 'em?

ETA:  Hopefully this will also become a line of products available to the general public.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sights?  Who needs 'em?

ETA:  Hopefully this will also become a line of products available to the general public.

I just use my thumb to judge the wind...sights are for pussies.

I also have a 15" cock, am eligable to join Mensa, and can make Chuck Norris run home crying to mommy.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
all joking aside

should I wait to buy an optic for my .50 upper?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
all joking aside

Don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
They justneed to hire some actors.  Those guys can dive off a building, do a barrel roll, and hit a target 200 feet away with a snub-nosed revolver before hitting the ground.

Our kill rate would go up if we just sent the Marine Snipers to actors' school.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sights?  Who needs 'em?

for the 1k stuff I stick to a bead sight..getting old
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#8]
If you use it, the ghosts of Carlos Hatchcock and Vasily Zaitsev will tell you to "use the force."
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
         I am all for our soldiers having what they need but somehow I see this turning into one soldier getting some $40000 whiz bang system that needs a crew to keep it running and calibrated vs a dozen soldiers getting a decent serviceable rifle/scope combo .
         It just seems that present technology is pretty solid and the money would be better spent on sheer numbers and training (of snipers and spotters)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you use it, the ghosts of Carlos Hatchcock and Vasily Zaitsev will tell you to "use the force."

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#11]
So whats the system? some new type of optics? A self guiding smart bullet?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So true.. so true...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think they're gonna duct-tape a Kestrel to the side of a Nightforce and laminate some ballistics charts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ah, so you read my range report...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
all joking aside

May as well, it'll have to sync with the little doppler radar transceiver on top of your head.

Or you can do the math in your head....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

shark with a frickin' laser on it's head, calling out windage and elevation in addition to range
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
all joking aside

May as well, it'll have to sync with the little doppler radar transceiver on top of your head.

may I assume you know who "shardik the bear" is?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
all joking aside

should I wait to buy an optic for my .50 upper?  have

Sooo the new weapon is a big six-gun with sandalwood grips? ^^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Doesn't say what it is, far as I can tell, just that they're getting money to try and develop it. Ball's in their court on whether they can develop something that works better then an experienced shooter's eye and doesn't require a truck to haul around and a squad of guys to run.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
all joking aside

No, but my North Central Positronic brain might.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
all joking aside

I most certainly do.  

ETA:  Have you guys been reading the Dark Tower comic?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The solicitation is for a wind-measuring device.  Right now, you range your target with mildots or a LRF (preferred) and the range compensation will pretty much be "on."  Then you try to figure out wind.

Imagine a laser range-finder that gave you two numbers:  1. the range, and 2. the net wind to the target.  

It would of course measure over the line of sight, not the bullet trajectory, but that would still be much better than what we have now.

Imagine an optic with two dots.
One dot is the LOS (Line of Sight) dot and the other is a dot corrected for wind, range and the bullet's ballistic table.

Click a switch to take the wind and range readings, let the computer calculate the trajectory and POI and super-impose the second dot in the viewfinder.

IIRC, the OICW had or was to have had this type of optic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
         I am all for our soldiers having what they need but somehow I see this turning into one soldier getting some $40000 whiz bang system that needs a crew to keep it running and calibrated vs a dozen soldiers getting a decent serviceable rifle/scope combo .
         It just seems that present technology is pretty solid and the money would be better spent on sheer numbers and training (of snipers and spotters)

We don't do the sheer-numbers-of-snipers thing....

For the number of snipers the US Army uses, this is the way to go....

The ideal solution would be a system that does wind, as well as inertial lead-computation (eg track a moving target with your rifle, while tracking press 'compute' button, and your cross-hairs offset to the wind & lead-adjusted position...

Sort of like a tank fire-control system, but small enough for a rifle....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Chances are it will be 2 billion over budget and not do what its supposed to but hey it will have a coffee maker on it.  

Lockheed employee
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The solicitation is for a wind-measuring device.  Right now, you range your target with mildots or a LRF (preferred) and the range compensation will pretty much be "on."  Then you try to figure out wind.

Imagine a laser range-finder that gave you two numbers:  1. the range, and 2. the net wind to the target.  

It would of course measure over the line of sight, not the bullet trajectory, but that would still be much better than what we have now.

One dot is the LOS (Line of Sight) dot and the other is a dot corrected for wind, range and the bullet's ballistic table.

Click a switch to take the wind and range readings, let the computer calculate the trajectory and POI and super-impose the second dot in the viewfinder.

That'd be sweet, all right. AFAIK, if it doesn't exist already, it's probably at least possible for drop compensation. The trick is getting the wind measurement gear completely automated and still small enough to fit into a manageable rifle scope.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#29]
the technology for doing all of this exists already.  The problem is getting it small enough for a sniper to use.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Your plan is a great for the short term.

I think as a long term plan, research and development is necessary.  How many Englishmen like you probably scoffed at the idea of a blackpowder firearms and said, "I think our money is better spent on sheer numbers and training of more long bowmen".

Think about it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That'd be sweet, all right. AFAIK, if it doesn't exist already, it's probably at least possible for drop compensation. The trick is getting the wind measurement gear completely automated and still small enough to fit into a manageable rifle scope.

Unless the reticle (or "rectical", as my arty section chief used to say) was mocked-up, the grenade launcher for the OICW had this feature as part of the airburst requirement.

The FCS incorporates a laser rangefinder, 3X day optic, 3X night/thermal imaging optic, TV mode with CCD camera that can double the effective image magnification day or night, and the microprocessing components. The microprocessing component computes the "full ballistic solution" to destroy a designated target and program the system's primary ammunition: 2Omm high explosive fragmentation grenades. Based on the desired effects on target, the operator can program the FCS to detonate grenades in one of four modes: "Bursting" selects an above ground, 3-5m airburst.

Supporting document HERE
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
the technology for doing all of this exists already.  The problem is getting it small enough for a sniper to use.

So why not use the money to develop larger snipers?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sights?  Who needs 'em?

I just use my thumb to judge the wind...sights are for pussies.

I also have a 15" cock, am eligable to join Mensa, and can make Chuck Norris run home crying to mommy.

And around here you're considered an amateur!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why not use the money to develop larger snipers?

There *is* money being spent on genetic engineering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top