Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 9:22:39 AM EDT
OUCH!!!!!!!  

BALL GROUND, Ga. (AP) - A Georgia man has had a deadly encounter with a deer.

Authorities say John Frix was apparently attacked by 1 of several deer that he kept on his property. His body was found last night inside his deer pen. Officials say he'd been gored several times in the upper body by the deer's antlers.

A family member later shot and killed the animal.

Relatives tell officials the deer had been very aggressive recently, probably because it's mating season.

Deer kill about 150 people a year in the U.S. Most of the deaths occur in car-deer collisions.

www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7181875
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If you think THAT'S strange...read THIS!!!!!

Man gored by dead deer
Well, sort of:

(AP) A freak accident left a man hospitalized on Friday after he was apparently stabbed by antlers. Authorities say Paul Nash, 45, and girlfriend Gayla File were driving on Highway Seven from Ratcliff when they hit a deer.

File called 911 as Nash got out of their pickup to check the vehicle's damaged headlight and clear debris from the roadway.

Officials believe another vehicle came along and hit the dead animal or part of the mangled remains. The antlers apparently flew up and stabbed Nash in the side.

An official at East Texas Medical Center in Tyler said Nash is in fair condition in the intensive care unit.

scribalterror.blogs.com/scribal_terror/2006/11/man_gored_by_de.html
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
how embarrassing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Moral of the story: don't play with your food.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Deer kill about 150 people a year in the U.S. Most of the deaths occur in car-deer collisions.

Wow, that's more than bears. Those things are a menace.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
the head goes in the sock drawer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Moral of the story: don't play with your food.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Eat more venison....do it for the children!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
We had a migrant worker that got ran over by a deer while working in one of our fields last year.  While walking through the field the deer must have been spooked while laying down and plowed the guy over.

He was hurt pretty bad, and did some time in the hospital. Not sure what thte exact injuries ended up being though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We had a migrant worker that got ran over by a deer while working in one of our fields last year.  While walking through the field the deer must have been spooked while laying down and plowed the guy over.

He was hurt pretty bad, and did some time in the hospital. Not sure what thte exact injuries ended up being though.

Hoof prints about the head and body would be my guess.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A migrant worker?

What is that?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#12]
That's why you gotta get those bastards while they're still young, otherwise you end up becoming their antler ornament.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#13]
This happened about 17 miles from my house. Our property borders the National Forest and we have so many deer around here, many times we have to stop in our driveway to let them cross.

My girlfriend feeds them, and hangs out in the yard with them while they eat dry corn. Sometimes there will be 14-15 of them out there. I tell her often that they are not pets, and that they WILL hurt you if they feel in danger. Maybe this will open her eyes to the fact.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a huge buck charge at me when I was bow hunting once. I swear the thing covered 40 yards and its feet hit the ground twice. It landed right in front of me with its head down and antlers up ready to smash me to a bloody pulp. I think it smelled me then because it got spooked and ran off. As for why I didnt shoot it? I was freaked out. Took me an hour to stop shaking.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#15]
People think I'm paranoid,but I always have my gun in my hand when deer get too close (like within ten yards sometimes)

As you can see,I'm not
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I've tried explaining to my city born and living step-daughters that the cute little deer they see on their walks in the woods aren't sweet and cuddly.  They will hurt you if they are cornered or feel threatened.

Bambi is not your friend.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Good God, what part of deer = food did people miss out on sometime around age 3 or 4?  Did these same people eat chunks of asphault or something?  How screwed up are people becoming these days???
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Good God, what part of deer = food did people miss out on sometime around age 3 or 4?  Did these same people eat chunks of asphault or something?  How screwed up are people becoming these days???

Anybody dumb enough to go into a penned area with a buck in heat deserves what they get IMO.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody dumb enough to go into a penned area with a buck in heat deserves what they get IMO.

QFT

except

Buck=Rut
Doe=Heat
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT

except

Buck=Rut
Doe=Heat
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#22]
And they have little deer down there. What a fucking pansy.
There was a guy in MI a year or two back who killed a buck that was attacking him. Killed it with his belt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Just because they eat grass does not make them harmless.  A high school buddy of mine was gored by a nilgai and died in front of his 10-year old son.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
And they have little deer down there. What a fucking pansy.
There was a guy in MI a year or two back who killed a buck that was attacking him. Killed it with his belt.

Well, I guess he didn't have a drawer to kill it with.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think that he deserves to be dead?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#26]
welcome to hunting season.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Well, maybe not DEAD, but if he was raising them as pets or otherwise, he should have known the danger he was putting himself in.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, maybe not DEAD, but if he was raising them as pets or otherwise, he should have known the danger he was putting himself in.

I'm sure one of his last thoughts was 'deer as pets was a dumb idea'.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A migrant worker?

What is that?

We use "migrant" workers for our busy seasons during late June to around the end of October.  When they are done here, they move on to other manual labor seasonal jobs in the area or if it gets too cold for them, they go back to Texas or some other "Southern" place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top